“More like Stay Away”

Ranked #148 of 203 Hotels in Austin
austin
“More like Stay Away”
Reviewed February 28, 2009

I checked in and the rate seemed to be reasonable . They took time to process room , made a copy of my dl and stuff . As soon as I got to my room the room smell like bleach . I think thats what they use to clean . So I did put the a/c on and it didnt seem to help . The neighbours were smoking weed and they had the door open and the smoke may have gone through the walls . It was so embarasing when a friend came to visit and he said that the same thing that the people next door were smoking weed . I think since its cheap people rent rooms for drug activity and sex. I choose to spend the evening out and about just to avoid the night mare room . It was just a one day so didnt bother to ask for a room change . No phone in the room also .The parking lot said not responsible for vehicle and I didnt feel safe coz of the characters i seen. The next day when i went to check out nobody asked if room was okey . Poor customer service and I will never go back for the nightmare experience . I tell u my eyes were teary and the smell was foul.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Waryas, Karen Waryas- General Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this review, April 17, 2009
I am sorry we were not able to fulfill your expectations, and thank you for sharing your experience with us. In reviewing our records, we did not note any of the activities that you have described. Our hotel takes pride in catering to families and business travelers alike. We seek to provide a positive and clean environment for all our guests, and do not condone any of the activities that you have described.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Austin, Tx
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I recall my stay at this hotel as being one of the most miserable stays. The room was dark, smelly and everything was falling apart. Initially this hotel was being marketed by Priceline as 3*, but in reality it should not be more than a 1 star (similar to a dirty motel 6)

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Pacific Northwest
Reviewed December 14, 2008

While the lobby area of this hotel is nice and appears to have been redecorated, the room was a total disappointment. You wouldn't know they were the same hotel.

Given the price and ratings for this hotel we did not expect luxury, but the room was dark and depressing. The weather was cold and there was no weatherstripping around the door, letting cold air flow into the room around the door. Fortunately the heater worked well. But the bathroom was old and dingy, the edges of the carpets were dirty, and the whole room felt dirty. There was a big patch on the wall behind the night stand, the mess of wires behind was almost scary and the lights were dim.

The most disappointing aspect was that my daughter's $200 watch was stolen out of the room. Nothing else was missing and there was no reason to believe anyone but hotel staff had been in our room. I would NOT stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Disliked — having personal item stolen out of the room
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
austinplaza, Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Hello! For the last 2 years, a COMPLETELY new staff has been in place providing excellent hospitality to our guests. The issues you mentioned are with the old staff over 2 and 1/2 years ago.
Dallas
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I only stay one night with my family on this hole. This hotel has so many problems that I don't know where to start.

The front desk service was slow.
Our reservation clearly said that we book a pool side room and instead got a room facing the back fence of the hotel.
The first room that we got had dried blood on one of the sheets. DISGUSTING.
We complained and we got a new room, 5 rooms down the hall, and of course facing the same ugly fence as before. This new room has one chair and one drawer missing.
The bathroom was not clean and the air extractor was not working so it smells bad.
And finally, the ice machines didn't work. Actually there was one that work sometimes.

• Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
sacramento, CA
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I booked a room through Hotwire for this hotel. When I arrived Friday night after my flight, the front desk worker told me that the hotel didn't have my reservation (despite my printed out confirmation that I showed him), that the hotel was completely full, and that it was Hotwire's fault I now had nowhere to stay. I then saw about a dozen other people in the lobby in the exact same position as I was who had used various online booking sites (like Expedia, Orbitz, etc). It seemed to me that the hotel decided to book the rooms on its own and disregard these online reservations. They could easily charge more on their own since there was a rescheduled music event in Austin that weekend, creating much more demand. They were telling everyone that it was the various websites' fault. Seemed really shady! I would never book here again because of this and I called Hotwire telling them to discontinue their relationship with this hotel.

Stayed September 2008
SAN
Reviewed September 27, 2008

North Austin Plaza Hotel treated us so well!! We had a reunion of about 30-45 friends. We were given a hospitality room located off the lobby and away from other hotel rooms. The staff was available and always upbeat. At this time there were a lot of evacuees from a hurricane in Florida and Louisianna, plus a big sports game in town, then the President flew to Austin. The hotel was very busy, but always had time for us. Many restaurants nearby, and the city bus system was easy even from the airport. Thank you North Austin Plaza Hotel management and staff!

• Liked — Location to Restaurants
  • Disliked — No refrigerators in rooms
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OKC
Reviewed September 15, 2008

we checked out within 15 minutes of arrival to the room, we had experienced everything bad that are mentioned in the previous reviews and we have absolutely nothing good to say about this place. the so called "hotel" facade is totally deceiving, don't be fooled. we walked out despite the reservation was non refundable. we drove 7 hours straight home instead of staying over in Austin. we were treated like some 2nd class citizen during the whole interaction with the front desk receptionist. if you decide to stay in this place anyway, all i can say is better luck to you.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rude receptionists, dirty carpet, broken tv, musty smell in room, rusty towel racks, no towel, stinking sheets
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business