“Terrible-avoid at all costs!”

Econo Lodge North Austin
Ranked #149 of 202 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I had hot water issues (no hot water) for four out of the five days I stayed here. I was suppose to stay seven nights but left as soon as I could and rebooked at another hotel. There were multiple other issues (faucet leaked, bathroom vent didn't work, etc.) and the whole property is just generally very run down. A colleague of mine was staying in another room at the same time and his door handle broke off and he cut his leg on the underside of a desk that was broken. The *only* positive is that the staff is friendly and tries to be helpful...and I feel sorry for them, because they get the brunt of the angry guests' complaints when clearly the management at this property is severely lacking. Seriously, this property is a nightmare. You'd be better off camping in the parking lot.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Tim B, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I want to apologize for the experience you had at our hotel. I am very happy to inform you that we are about to start a renovation of our property and this should fix all of the issues on our older property. Thanks again for the comments. It always helps us solve these issues so future guests do not have the same problems.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Slow check in process. Room was not ready when they said it would be. The bathroom was dirty. After leaving for the day and returning we discovered there were bugs crawling all over our bags and computers. Also smells bad. Do not stay here. Sleep in your vehicle if you have to.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank WhiteVanBrigade

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. You stayed during a very busy time in Austin and I do apologize that the check in process was slow for you. Please accept my apology that you were dissatisfied with our housekeeping efforts. I really appreciate your feedback and have discussed every issue with our Housekeeping Manager. She will be addressing these matters with her staff and is committed to ensuring that these problems do not occur again.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The girl who checked us in was very polite and got us checked in very quickly. The room was what you would expect from the cheapest motel in town. There were bugs in the bathroom and on the walls in the bedroom. I don't mind critters when I'm camping, but when I pay to sleep in a motel, I do NOT want to see insects, especially in the bathroom.

Also, the fitness room is the most depressing one I have ever seen. Do not count that among this hotel's amenities.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to cut your costs and want to save a dollar anywhere possible, AND you can tolerate sharing your room with bugs, you might be satisfied with this hotel. Otherwise, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was a very inexpensive room and the bed was comfortable. Those were the most enjoyable attributes of this hotel. The bathroom rug had hair on it. The water in the bathroom was barely luke warm. There was plenty of lighting which helped as the upkeep of the motel exterior gave the impression that this might not be the safest place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed for 1 night at the Quality inn in Austin during a weekend trip with friends. There's nothing much about this place, the rooms are quite small, the beds were clean though. We have specifically requested a non-smoking room however we were given a non-smoking room among a corridor of smoking rooms. The room smelled like someone was already smoking in it while we were there. We went back and asked to change it and we got another one that smelled almost as bad with stale air odor. I guess the quality is fine for thevprice you pay, $50 for a room with 2 queen beds

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here two nights on 1/22 and 1/23 the bed was very comfortable, it was quiet and the room was very clean. The property is older, but the value is good. There is a microwave and fridge in the rooms, flat screen tv. I didn't get to eat the complimentary breakfast. I felt safe at the hotle. It is right off I35 N and 183 a lot of places to eat and have a drink close by.

Room Tip: I had a room on inside facing the pool downstairs.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

First, from what I've seen the nightly posted rate for this motel (a true motel - all units go outside) is about $48/night. But, if you use the Priceline "express" tab the hotel is regularly posted for $32/night. Just look for the 1 star in Austin with all the amenities. Throw in 15% tax and you're still looking at just under $40 out of pocket per night. I booked a king size room, but the first unit I had the door wouldn't open so they put me in a double claiming there were no more king sizes, but that seemed iffy given there were a number of open rooms.

The motel has seen better days. Decor is a bit outdated. On the weekends lots of people in their early 20's, The bathroom was a bit beat up, and not as clean as ideally you'd like. The fridge had some broken shelves and the place in general has a slight air of neglect. Microwave works fine.

But, no bugs (that I've seen) and while the motel isn't the Ritz it is hard to beat the price -- especially when breakfast is included. One word of warning about breakfast -- I've stayed at other Quality Inns and the breakfast here is sup-par. No eggs, no breakfast meat -- a waffle maker with a line, cereal and cold bagels/danish - toaster provided, but no microwave to warm anything. Juice was very watery and poorly mixed. They do have a large room where people can sit and why they don't move the beverages there so they can serve a better breakfast escapes me.

In short, if you're looking for cheap place to stay this could be it, but don't expect much for your money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business