“I keep going back”

Econo Lodge North Austin
Ranked #149 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed October 28, 2011

I have visited Austin twice a year for about 7 years for the Spring and Fall record conventions at the Crockett Centre and have been staying at this place. I liked it from the beginning but it has got even better. The rooms have been renovated and the management and staff are fantastic. It is in a very safe area with MANY choices of restaurants within walking distance.the nearest (a sports bar) is 2 minutes away) There are at least 6 restaurants or Hotels where you can also just drink at the bar if you don't want to eat. I normally stay there on my own but a friend has shared twice and he too had no complaints.
John. Liverpool/Manchester, England

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are quieter but I personally have had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jkvinyl
austinplaza, General Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

Hello! So nice to have you and the record show guys come back to the hotel. Always a good time of the year. Glad you had an enjoyable stay this year and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. We will continue to make improvements to the hotel! Thanks for your review-

Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I have been to this hotel numerous times. Very clean rooms. Safe location. Excellent service. Has a nice pool and a gym. No extra charge for using the gym. All rooms have free Wi-fi. And the rooms have a color T.V., mini fridge, coffee pot, blow dryer, iron and ironing board. And the beds are very comfortable too. Nice family place. They also have a good sized meeting room. It is conveniently located on I-35 near 183. The prices are the best in Austin. With these fantastic rates we can afford to visit Austin on a regular basis. If you want a nice family hotel at bargain prices...check them out. You will be glad that you did!

Room Tip: City View rooms are nearest your car. The Courtyard Views are quieter. The Pool Views are great if y...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello! First off, its a pleasure to see a 3 time returning guest! Glad you guys keep coming back. I am also pleased you had another enjoyable visit and we hope the next visit is even better. We recently painted the walk ways, driveways, pool deck area and will continue with more improvements. We hope to see you yet again in the future and thank you for taking the time to submit a review! Take care-

Reviewed October 24, 2011

10/19/11
This place is beyond horrible, my sister booked 8 days here for 400 bucks. I am just upset that she didn't research this dump. First day of check in we were surprised with the 25 dollar deposit that Priceline.com didn't mention. The girl at the front desk hd no personality, or customer service skills whatsoever. She didn't even greet us or tell us to enjoy our stay. She gave a room with one bed way in the back of the building, that appeared strange because we were the only ones in that area...I wonder why? At night I wanted to take a shower and realized the water was cold, not only that but the knob came off the shower. After getting another room, things got worse, the heater started to smoke and the water was still cold. The arrogant maintenance man came in and removed the smoke detector instead of fixing the problem. Uh where is a Fire Marshall when you need one? The following morning when I woke up scratching like crazy, under the sheets I found bed bugs. YES, BED BUGS!!!! Thank God Pricline replied to my sisters email, they were able to refund her money back...well in 5 days. People please do not ever go here no even for a quickie this place is beyond bad, the employees are to get fired and this place should be reported seriously.

Room Tip: The pool side area is probably the cleaness.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
austinplaza, Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to submit a review online. I would encourage you to also take the time to read when you book on Priceline where it CLEARLY states a $25 deposit is required with an ID upon check in. It also is clearly stated that you are booking a room with 1 bed ONLY. The room was checked for "bed bugs" by the maintenance men as well as our pest control company and there were no bed bugs. However, what was discovered was food in the bed and bedspreads from the night prior. The room was actually rented the very next day and is still in service today.
I do apologize for the shower knob coming off while you were showering. This will be addressed! When you turn a heater on for the first time in 6 months it will absolutely smell like smoke for the first 5 minutes then subside. Its perfectly normal and this will happen in your car or house as well. It has not been used in 6 months as we have had 100 degree temps since May. Glad you were able to get a refund (courtesy of the hotel) because as it is stated in Priceline's agreement ALL rooms are non-refundable. Thanks again for your input and feedback-

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Went to Austin with a group of 5 friends to celebrate the birthday of one our friends and my birthday. Had read through the reviews of this hotel and decided the good reviews outweighed the bad ones and would take a chance. We were not looking for anything fancy but at least wanted the room to be clean and have everything in good working order. Upon arrival the hotel, a term I use loosely as this is an obvious motel, had a sign posted stating they had no hot water. I immediately questioned this and was assured by the clerk checking us in that my two rooms had hot water. I had booked the rooms through Hotwire about 3 weeks prior. I had a hard time finding a room and learned later it was due to there being a UT home game that weekend. Most every hotel was booked for Friday night. It was about 10 PM when we checked in as we had driven down from Dallas. Once making it to the room I turned on the water to let it run as I had been instructed by the clerk. They said it would need to run a while before it would get hot. After 15 minutes of running the water was still ice cold. I called down to the front desk and was told to let it run some more and it would get hot. After the water ran for an hour in both rooms it was still not hot. In addition to the hot water there are some household issues that need to be touched on. None of them make the rooms uninhabitable but when you are paying to stay somewhere you expect certain things. It was obvious the only things the maids do are change the sheets and possibly vacuum the floors because there is a lot of mold in the showers and most everything had a layer of dust on it. The beds are at least clean it not the most comfortable. One of our rooms had dead bugs lying under the bathroom sink.

The real kicker with this hotel is the horrible customer service on the part of the employees and the General Manager. I have never been treated so poorly by someone when I voiced a legitimate complaint regarding the service I was receiving at their business. Not once did anybody apologize for the hot water issue and the GM even questioned why I was staying there. I asked for his manager's contact info so I could lodge a complaint but was refused this information by the GM. He said all complaints stop at him. This is totally unacceptable as all businesses should have a way for customers to be able to voice their concerns when there are issues with the product or service they are paying for. I was told they would let me cancel my second night but the most they would give me for the first night was a 20% discount. I requested something from them to confirm they were not charging me for the second night and would discount the first night, even though I feel it should have been comped, but this was also refused by the GM. Without anything documenting the conversation they could do whatever they wanted with the billing and never issue the credit back to my card. I eventually received the credit for the second night charge but this was only after calling Hotwire. I am still waiting for the 20% credit from the first night. Hotwire had to do an investigation into this because the hotel never submitted anything to them regarding the credit.

If you are thinking about this hotel read through all of the reviews and pay special attention to the reviews that are bad and how the GM responds to them. In several bad reviews he blatantly calls the reviewer a liar or writes he thinks it is a bogus review. Stay here only if you have no other choice and expect to be treated poorly if you do have any issues and voice a valid complaint.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thanks for the review and feedback! Always appreciated!

Reviewed October 22, 2011

My friend and I went to Austin City Limits in September and booked our room at North Austin Plaza a month before the festival. All the hotels near downtown and Zilker Park were booked, so this was kind of the best option based on the remaining hotels in the city. It wasn't so bad, especially after spending all day in the heat and rain, having a spacious room with queen size beds and a decent shower was nice. The hotel is about 15-20 minutes (depending on traffic) from downtown, but it's right off I-35, so it's location was convenient. The room was comfortable enough for the price.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to submit a review online. We are glad you had an enjoyable stay during ACL.....always a good time of the year. We would love to welcome you back in the near future! Thanks again for your review, always appreciated. Take care-

Reviewed October 20, 2011

Yes, first two days there was no hot water. As far as I could tell, no fault of the hotel. Anyone who can't handle a little inconvenience once in a while shouldn't be staying in budget accommodations. I've found that staff attitudes are very dependent on how they are approached. Beds were comfortable, housekeeping was excellent, once the water was hot the shower was great. Good looking pool, folks seemed to be having a great time. Big plus - Sports bar within crawling distance of room. Easy access to nearby restaurants and downtown.

Room Tip: Ask to see room before checking in.... duh...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
austinplaza, General Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2011

Hello! I appreciate your honesty and straight-forward review. We had underground leaks out of our control and they were addressed ASAP. I thank you for your patience during this and glad the hot water was restored during your stay with us. Glad you had a nice visit and we hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed October 20, 2011

My wife and I were looking for basically a place to shower and sleep as we were coming in for the UT game (hook 'em horns!) and while we were told that our room would have hot water, what came out of the shower head was chilly at best - no where close to even being construed as "warm". I won't be coming back here next time.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
austinplaza, Manager at Econo Lodge North Austin, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2011

Hello! I do apologize again for the lack of hot water. We were at the mercy of the city and we did the best we can given the situation we were in. We disclosed this problem upfront to the guests so they can decide if they want to stay at the hotel or not. You elected to stay here, then complain about there not being hot water? We do thank you for your feedback, take care-

Jenna Peter