“Good Budget Choice”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #160 of 203 Hotels in Austin
“Good Budget Choice”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

This is a good budget hotel that is close to downtown, and it has free parking. It is not a typical hotel, though. There is no daily maid service, no pool or exercise room, and the hotel can be fairly noisy, even though there is a quiet time from 10:00 pm on. The noise is from the doors opening and closing. You can exchange towels at the front desk if you wish. The towels are of the economy rough type. The rooms have been recently painted and re-carpeted, and look nice. There is a kitchen in the room, which may be handy for budget minded travelers; however, having a full size refrigerator in the bedroom can be noisy. The kitchens are empty, and you can make an order for basic utensils at the front desk. I would not call their morning offerings breakfast--there is a credenza in the hallway with coffee and cello wrapped bars and muffins, apples and oranges. It was a two mile walk for me to the university area. The hotel is pet friendly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, and that you found us to be a good value. Still, I do apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our breakfast selection. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. Please feel free to contact me directly, at adt@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I got a great price on this from one of those "don't show you the name" sites last trip to Austin, and I found it adequate. I disagreed with that web site's star rating for the place: there is no maid service, however you may exchange soiled towels at the front desk, there is a kitchen in each room, however it is not stocked with anything, you may make a list and request items from the front desk, and the "breakfast" is not so much---some cello wrapped sugar-carb processed things and coffee. If you need a full size refrigerator in your bedroom, this may be for you, but remember they are loud, as was the a/c unit. The walls are thin, but the clientele seemed especially thoughtful of the hotel's posted quiet hours. Also, it is pet friendly. No pool, no exercise room, but may be good for long term budget traveller who can cook in the bedroom. Nice, friendly staff and freshly painted, carpeted, rooms. It is about a two mile walk to the Capitol and the campus.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm glad to read that your stay was pleasant overall. The staff and I are proud to have provided you with a clean room at a convenient location. Still, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be useful to us as we continually work to improve our breakfast selection. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed here for one night in June. First of all the price was fantastic. I got a deal for $56 + tax on Priceline (one of Priceline's Express Deals). The location was perfect. Just a few blocks from the heart of downtown Austin. I had a meeting on Congress St. which was just a short 4-5 block walk. The meeting got out after 10 pm and the walk back seemed safe. It was also walking distance to the bars/restaurants on 6th St.

Although the price and location were great the service was lacking. Check in took about half an hour because there was one desk clerk who was trying to check me in at the same time as she answered the phones. The whole time her manager was walking back and forth behind her doing absolutely nothing. The rooms were fine except the walls were extremely thin so you could hear everything your neighbor was doing. Overall I can't complain much because of the great Priceline price that I got. For $56 I would stay here every time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Colorado
Reviewed June 19, 2014

This hotel is the place to stay if you need to be in Austin on a budget. The nicer hotels in the area can be very expensive and this one was very reasonable when we were there. The hotel itself is nice and the bed was comfortable but it does not have some of the other amenities that the other big hotels have. It was good for the price!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Martin_from_Colorado
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments about our reasonable price and our comfortable beds. We are pleased to read that you found our hotel to be a good value. Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Generally a nice place to stay. Kitchen is equipped quite bascially. Nearest supermarket is driving distance away. Location is fair, just outside the dowtown centre but close to alot of public transport. Rooms are alright, fairly clean. All in all alright. I felt that the reception could use with extra staff, they are often on the phone or answering queries so if you need to talk to them you have to be lucky with your timing.
Breakfast really is grab and go. Don't raise your hopes up too high. Its basically muffins, cereal bars, coffee, fruit and oatmeal. If you arrive late there will be less left.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Remi S
Edinburg, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The price for this hotel has increased significantly as have prices for all downtown Austin hotels. Look for discounts; sign up for alerts, which offer 25-20% discounts. Prices go down as you get closer to travel dates depending on booking. Suites are dated and do not look remodeled, as the hotel website states. Popcorn ceilings, worn bed sheets. Roomy with a frig, burners, internet access, and parking (free!). Within a block of 4-star hotels that cost three times what this hotel charges.

Room Tip: You can opt for no-house keeping during your stay, which will save you money. You can pick up free t...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ffmer1
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Asked for non-smoking room when reserving online, but somehow got assigned to a smoke room covered by heavy cleaning perfumes. (First night)
Water heater was not working for whole hotel second day morning. They did repair it, but I had to delay my meeting.
Asked to switch to anothe room, staff was friendly to help but the new room door handle was not functioning well. It has to be opened by swinging the handle upward, not downward (the staff was patient to help me figure it out). AC of new room was nice and super strong. I Try to save electricity for hotel when not in the room, but it won't automatically shut off when reach set temperature. So the room is constantly blowing AC. The kitchenwares are not provided in the room. Guests need to ask the front desk to deliver the whole kitchen set to you. Not sure if this is a new policy or just because too many guests are stealing. If I have to wait till the kitchen ware to deliver to my room and give tips for that again, maybe next time I should just book a hotel without kitchen and go out to eat. I can understand the hotel is trying to reduce its expense, but sometimes understaff is also trading off its customer service and hotel staying quality because staffs have too many things to do, and it is hard for them to put up a friendly smile when over stressed.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank KuanNDot
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you had several issues with your stay. I have spoken to the housekeeping staff to let our maintenance staff know of any issues with the air conditioner. To uphold our company's high standards, we will make every effort to be more attentive to any room defects moving forward. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at adt@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.