“Though newly furnished, they need to constantly examine the hotel and repair things.”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #159 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Asked for non-smoking room when reserving online, but somehow got assigned to a smoke room covered by heavy cleaning perfumes. (First night)
Water heater was not working for whole hotel second day morning. They did repair it, but I had to delay my meeting.
Asked to switch to anothe room, staff was friendly to help but the new room door handle was not functioning well. It has to be opened by swinging the handle upward, not downward (the staff was patient to help me figure it out). AC of new room was nice and super strong. I Try to save electricity for hotel when not in the room, but it won't automatically shut off when reach set temperature. So the room is constantly blowing AC. The kitchenwares are not provided in the room. Guests need to ask the front desk to deliver the whole kitchen set to you. Not sure if this is a new policy or just because too many guests are stealing. If I have to wait till the kitchen ware to deliver to my room and give tips for that again, maybe next time I should just book a hotel without kitchen and go out to eat. I can understand the hotel is trying to reduce its expense, but sometimes understaff is also trading off its customer service and hotel staying quality because staffs have too many things to do, and it is hard for them to put up a friendly smile when over stressed.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank KuanNDot
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you had several issues with your stay. I have spoken to the housekeeping staff to let our maintenance staff know of any issues with the air conditioner. To uphold our company's high standards, we will make every effort to be more attentive to any room defects moving forward. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at adt@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Leaking bathtub facet and shower didn't work properly. Slamming neighbor's doors made it difficult to sleep. Asked housekeeper to change towels but, she never did. Front desk staff were cold and impersonal.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Nothing special, but clean, and walking distance to downtown. Threadgill's right next store, and plenty of other places to eat within walking distance. Breakfast nothing special, granola bars and fruit. Nice to have a refrigerator. There was a stove, but know pots, or pans or plates???

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your clean room and our great location. Still, I apologize that our grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be useful as we continue to improve our guest experience. As well, I apologize that your kitchen was not properly equipped prior to your arrival. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope you will stay at our hotel, or any of our other brand locations in the future.
Denton, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2014

This is an average hotel. It was clean, but our "non-smoking" room smelled like smoke, which was disappointing. The staff needs to be friendlier, although the man that fixed our door that was stuck fixed it as soon as we got there and he was nice. The grab-and-go breakfast was disappointing. The value is great though for just staying a short walk from downtown Austin and 6th street.

• Stayed May 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location at a great value. Still, I’m disappointed to learn that our level of customer service and cleanliness in your room did not meet your expectations. In response to your feedback, I will meet with the staff to review our guest protocol and cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, adt@extendedstay.com.

Please know, your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I reserved a non-smoking room for a Tuesday and Wednesday night. When I got into my room it was clear that people had been smoking in it as everything smelled like it. The towels were thread bare and were so rough it left my skin red after drying off. The shower had virtually no hot water as the anti-scald device had been set to render all the water barely warm. The bed was hard and the pillows completely worn out. The kitchenette had two burned up pans and some mismatched dishes. There was no maid service whatsoever as I was told that's only for people that stay 8 days or longer. The "free" wifi was so slow it was comparable to dial up. You have to pay for any decent speed that would enable you just to check email. The "free" breakfast is nothing more than a pile of bananas and some coffee. A hotel this bad should be charging about $20 a night instead of their current rate.

Room Tip: PRO TIP: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Phil - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that you received a room that smelled of smoke. As well, I apologize that you had issues with your towels, your hot water, your bed and your fully equipped kitchen. I will be meeting with our staff to discuss these issues to ensure your experience is not repeated. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope you will stay at our hotel, or any of our other brand locations in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located about 1 mile frombthe fun area of downtown Austin. The room was very clean and a kitchen area with a full refrigerator, microwave etc. The bathroom was standard but clean. The offer a little breakfast with coffee, muffins,apples, oranges and breakfast bars. I got the room on hotwire.com for $52 a night. No poolbon the property.

• Stayed April 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your clean room and your fully equipped kitchen during your stay with us. As well, it's great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our grab-and-go breakfast. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay America. We hope to see you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Maybe the title may seem a bit harsh but it's hard to sleep on a bed that feels like wood. And when you find someone else's trash in your hotel room.... that also makes it hard to sleep. I heard one maid say while cleaning (as we were leaving) that she cleaned too fast and was told to slow down, which she interpereted as "mess around and talk to other people" rather than "clean the room more thoroughly".

Also the utensils were gross, there were crumbs in the drawers, and I generally doubted the cleanliness of everything in the room... "Renovation" meant new, thin bedding, a spray-on counter covering...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your experience including the level of cleanliness in your room. Please know, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Your feedback regarding our bedding options is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, at@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in town.