“Hard Beds, Lazy Maids”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #156 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Maybe the title may seem a bit harsh but it's hard to sleep on a bed that feels like wood. And when you find someone else's trash in your hotel room.... that also makes it hard to sleep. I heard one maid say while cleaning (as we were leaving) that she cleaned too fast and was told to slow down, which she interpereted as "mess around and talk to other people" rather than "clean the room more thoroughly".

Also the utensils were gross, there were crumbs in the drawers, and I generally doubted the cleanliness of everything in the room... "Renovation" meant new, thin bedding, a spray-on counter covering...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please accept our sincerest apologies for your experience including the level of cleanliness in your room. Please know, I am working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. Your feedback regarding our bedding options is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at, at@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better stay the next time you’re in town.

There are newer reviews for Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake

Reviewed April 19, 2014

Took the bus from the airport for $1.50, short walk a few blocks to hotel from the station. Able to check in early, check out late. Kitchen a plus. Good location close to Town Lake and Zilker Park. Barton Springs had some good restaurants nearby too. Downtown in minutes. Loved exploring the surrounding area. Staff could have been a little more engaging or at least smiled.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for 3 nights. For $500 we got a dirty room with broken appliances and no housekeeping. These are just a few of the problems we encountered during our stay. Only stay here if you are desperate. The only positive thing about the hotel, is the location. It is about a 15 mins walk to downtown.

Room Tip: find a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aidan S

I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues and the level of cleanliness in your room. I will meet with the staff to review our maintenance policies and cleaning procedures to ensure your experience is not repeated. If you would like to provide any additional feedback, please feel free to contact me directly at, adt@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Though this property is little old and could not be properly maintained ( could be due to its age) But its cheapest option close to Bus stand in tow directions and walking distance to Downtown crossing river. It offers a Microwave, Fridge and Paid Coin enabled Laundry on Ground floor. As its policy the Room Cleaning is once a 7 days, makes you feel some times uncomfortable. Though they did not limit the Toiletries, Towels etc.

Room Tip: There Grab Breakfast is very Less with just Muffins and Orange/Apple with Coffee, keep your room cle...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location at a great value. Please know, our housekeeping service is provided once a week for guests staying 8 or more nights. For those who are staying for shorter periods of time, services can be purchased for a minimal fee. If you would like to provide any additional comments, please feel free to contact me directly at, adt@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I was initially hesitant to stay here reading it's previous reviews but booking it so close I didn't really have a choice.

That being said I was really impressed with this place, they've obviously tried to sort out some of their previous problems! It's easy to find and has free parking, we were checked in by Krystin (I think) who was super friendly, the hotel was clean and the room was both well equipped and clean, no problems with the bed I slept in, it was comfortable.

Sure it was a take away breakfast but that's not a problem as it's well located and breakfast was easy to get nearby.

I'd stay here again no problems.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Outback_Australian
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms with fully equipped kitchens and convenient location at a great value. Your feedback regarding our free grab-and-go breakfast will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We look forward to hosting you again in the future!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is my second time staying at this Extended Stay America. I received this hotel as a result of a priceline 2-star bid for one night. Going into this stay, I thought I knew what to expect. Unfortunately, this stay left a lot to be desired.

I showed up asking to check-in a half hour early and was advised by the male front desk clerk that no rooms were clean yet, and to check back with him in 30 minutes. So, I gathered my belongings and hung out in the lobby. As I waited, another party arrived. They were checked-in and given a room with no delay, which upset me considering just a few minutes earlier the clerk told me I could not check-in, and he saw me standing there the whole time. (If a room had opened up, wouldn't it make sense to call me over to the desk?) Anyhow, after a few more minutes the clerk stated a room was now available, and he began my check-in. The first sign I knew something was wrong, was him asking me for a form of payment. I said that my stay was pre-paid via a priceline name your own price bid. At that time his female colleague came over to check out the computer screen; indeed, she said my booking indicated "booking.com" but that "booking.com and priceline are basically the same thing." (I don't think they are, but whatever) After some banter back and forth, a random voice from the back office says "e-mail me your reservation". Annoyed, I wisely responded "To whom am I emailing my reservation???" At this point a woman, I assume a manager, showed her face from the office and gave me her e-mail address. I sent my confirmation stating the reservation was paid in full. About 15 minutes went by, during which I'm not sure what anyone was doing to rectify my situation, but I was growing impatient. The clerk finally ran my card for incidentals and assigned me a room. Well... just as I was about to go to my room, one of them realizes that they checked the wrong person in. Oops. So, the process began again. Ran my card again for incidentals. Signed another form. Etc. During the 45 minutes I was standing at the desk trying to get checked-in, 3 other parties were checked in by the female agent. I noticed that they all got free "upgrades". As my check-in was being finalized she said to me "you have an upgraded room too, don't worry." Well, thanks.

The rest of my stay was not nearly as eventful.

Room/Facility: The "upgraded" king room was really nice - actually nicer than the room with two beds I had for my prior stay. The room was stylish, recently updated, and the bed was comfortable. The room size was good, and there was a sofa in addition to a bar with stools adjacent to the kitchen area. The only issue I had with my room was a malfunctioning air conditioning unit. It couldn't keep the room cool. In order to get the compressor to run, I had to unplug the unit, let it sit, and plug it back in. After that, the compressor ran for about 5 minutes, bringing the temp down a bit, but after that, the compressor switched off with a loud clunk, after which only the fan ran. The temp would creep back up after 30 or so minutes. Unfortunately, I did not realize this issue until I got back late in the evening. The front desk was notified, and to their credit, they did offer to change my room; however, at that time of night, I had zero desire to deal with the front desk personnel again. The night was a bit warm, but it was tolerable. One of the windows in the room had a big crack from the top to the bottom, but it did not appear to be all the way through the glass.

Service: Other than the check-in issue described above, everyone I came in contact with was very nice. No other issues to mention.

Location: This property is located in a great place. If you have business downtown, you'd be hard pressed to find a better location. It's set back enough from the road to be quiet, yet a short ride over the bridge to downtown. It is in a safe area, across from a Whataburger restaurant. Gas stations are nearby, and of course downtown is just a quick ride away.

Misc: As with all Extended Stay Americas, the "breakfast" is laughable. Essentially, it consists of packaged items you'd find in a vending machine, along with fruit and coffee. I'm not a breakfast eater, so it wasn't a big deal. However, compared to hotel chains of similar caliber, this breakfast is severely lacking. Don't go into it expecting much.

All in all, for the price paid, I had an average stay. Were it not for the check-in issue, I'd rate the stay very good. This property's rooms are really nice and the location is very good. If you get this hotel via a priceline bid, you're getting a good deal. Despite the issues I experienced this time around, I still recommend the Downtown/Town Lake Extended Stay America.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded king room -- they are laid out a bit differently from the rooms with two beds, w...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I’m so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens and convenient location at a great value. Still, it upsets me to learn that you experienced issues during the check-in process. Please know, I will review our guest protocol so that this issue does not affect our future guests. Also, I sincerely apologize for the maintenance issues in your room and am working with our engineers to improve our policies to ensure your experience is not repeated.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and it will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

First, the good points:

• the rooms have a usable kitchenette, a full sized fridges (!), and a nice breakfast nook sort of spot to eat. It also had a cute little cookbook with suggestions for meals that could be easily cooked in the room--nice touch!

• the wireless was fast and free. Love it when motels offer good wireless! There is an option to purchase faster wireless, but for general web surfing, a bit of video streaming, and email, the free was perfectly fine (better than at my home, but that's another story).

• the parking is free, and there is plenty of it.

• it's in a good location and easy to get to.

• the staff are courteous and helpful.

The problem, and reason that I only rated this location at three stars: the bed was terribly uncomfortable, to the point that my husband and I woke up with sore backs. Perhaps this was one of the rooms about to be renovated? Whatever the issue, the bed really took the shine off of our experience here. If the mattress is updated, then this would be a great place to stay, particularly for the price!

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor look out directly onto the parking lot--convenient, but less privacy.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I’m so pleased to learn that you enjoyed our spacious suites with fully equipped kitchens, free Wi-Fi, convenient location, and friendly staff. Your feedback regarding our bedding options will help us in our efforts to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me directly at, adt@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.