“nice place to stay for a business trip”

Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #155 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“nice place to stay for a business trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, great location, just a short walk from downtown and South Congress. A lot of restaurants and bars around. Great place to get public transportation from and to the airport. I didn't use the kitchen.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay at our hotel, and that the location was perfect for you.

Once again, thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed here for a night to see Austin, despite the bad reviews we had read here we wanted someplace we could walk to town and this hotel is ideal, its a 10 minute walk to 2nd Street and the same to Bat Bridge. The rooms were lovely, very comfortable and kitchen included as part of the room. We had one slight issue in the bathroom which we resolved thanks to reception staff, all of whom were very friendly and helpful, in fact ten minutes after arrival into our room the front desk called us to see if we were happy. The carpets throughout are probably ready for a change which I imagine is where the 'grungy' remark came from but our bedroom carpet was good. The breakfast could do with some attention, we went down at 9.15, 15 minutes before it finished and everything was gone including the coffee, I asked if we could have a cereal/health bar which is what breakfast consisted of apparently with fruit, but was told no they were finished, I thought that was poor as I am sure they would have more. Despite that our room was great, hotel is nice and it is an ideal location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. Please accept our apologies that the staff was not very responsive to your request to grab you something off the breakfast bar. Still, we are pleased to know that the rooms met with your expectations despite the reviews that you read. We do take the guest reviews to heart and use them a training tools to improve our staff and our hotel. The staff and I would like to thank you again for posting your review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Rooms come with a kitchenette complete with toaster, microwave and fridge. Bed is comfortable. A/C works. Staff at the front desk were personal and pleasant. However, no one answered the phone when I called to inquire about checkout time. Not a problem, I picked my own.
A "mini-breakfast" is included. Consists of coffee - not bad and packaged mini muffins. Don't pick this place for the breakfast.

However, this non-smoking room stank from cigarettes wafting from the floor (or room) below. The A/C is so loud that one can't hear the TV every time it kicks in. The carpet is old and in below average condition. The tub has a nice culture of mold growing here and there. I suppose that adds a bit of life to the room. Fixtures need a bit of updating and the doors and hallways could do for a painting.

Room Tip: To get the best room, pick another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about the room layout and the staff; however, we apologize that your room did not meet your expectations. Your comments were reviewed by the staff, and we will have our housekeeping and maintenance staff correct the issues outlined in your review to make sure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at adt@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Positives - really well positioned so you can walk to downtown and South Congress and it's very accessible by car - so for a short stay in Austin I would give it a qualified recommendation.
Negatives - has seen better days. Front desk staff were the most uninterested I have ever encountered in the USA and the whole place felt slightly dirty - all the bathroom and bedroom fittings were obviously old with some staining and it just felt low-rent.
General ambience not helped by a fellow guest spilling french fries all down our corridor overnight on our 2nd night - which had not been cleared up by 9-10am

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Thank you for the kind comments about the convenience of our location; however, we apologize for the lack of attention our staff provided to you and the level of cleanliness throughout our hotel. Please know, our front desk staff is comprised of some brand new team members who are still training. I will be speaking with them directly, regardless. Also, I will be working with our housekeeping staff to ensure our property is kept in line with our Company's standards at all times.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly, at adt@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Carrboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Not elegant, but a very comfortable and well-furnished mini-apartment across the street from Long Center for the Performing Arts, a couple blocks from the docks for Austin's great bat cruises, and no more than a 10- to 15-minute walk from downtown. Kitchen had full-sized fridge, micro-wave, electric stove, and decent selection of cooking supplies. Main disappointment was skimpy "Grab 'n Go" breakfast: coffee, tea, microwaveable instant oatmeal, granola bars, and apples and oranges (if you got there early enough). Got a great deal from Hotwire (about half off) but even at full price it's one of the best deals close to downtown.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Greenbean45
Munich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Positive: Friendly staff, ideal located - in walking distance to many music venues, bars and clubs; big rooms with kitchen and comfortable beds.
Could be better: We love the place and have been here five years in a row. It is comfortable but not very clean. The carpet is sticky and nobody ever seems to take a look under the fridge (except two big cockroaches, we evacuated from the kitchen area in 2011). The cleanness hasn't increased very much during the past five years - I don't know why.
Austin has been turning into a "Green City" with good concepts to avoid waste or to recycle. Unfortunately this Extended Stay doesn't provide any recycling facilities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
j98me2
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

When you first pull up and check in this place looks nice and well maintained. Once I was there a bit I realized this was not really the case.

The room appeared mostly clean with the exception of the carpet. It was filthy. It was black and would turn your socks or feet black. I would not stay here if you have small children since they will want to play on the floor.

The faucet in the shower was also broken. It required all my strength and both hands to turn it on and all the way off. My wife could not operate it. Surely housekeeping turns it when on when they clean so they must have known.

The service was also poor. When I tried to iron my shirt it leaked water all over my shirt. When I called the front desk the women who answered suggested I not tilt the iron forward. If the iron is flat on the board how am I tilting it forward. After much discussion she agreed to send up another iron, but it never came even though I called down repeatedly and asked.

In the end I really felt like they slapped some paint on an old building and were just milking it for all it was worth due to the proximity to downtown. I really feel that for 180 a night you can do better, even that close to downtown.

• Stayed May 2013