Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake
Ranked #144 of 200 Hotels in Austin
Alvin, Texas
“Perfect Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I wanted a hotel close to downtown without spending a fortune, and Homestead Suites filled the bill. Yes, the bed could have been more comfortable and the room better furnished, but I don't go to Austin to hang out in a hotel and after a full day of fun, I slept just fine. The room was clean, I felt safe, and all the employees I spoke to were super friendly. Between the excellent rate I got on Priceline and free parking, it couldn't be beat!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

We know that you have several lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide you with a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price. We recognize that if our guests can't get a good night's sleep, they won't return, so we've chosen bedding that we hope best suits their needs. I do take seriously your concern, and promise that we will continue to look for ways to make sure every guest is as comfortable as possible when staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Wow... it's bad. The rooms are fairly beat-up - matted down carpet, rough comforters and generally dingy throughout. I found long black hair in my bathroom, and there was visible mildew throughout the tub and tile. The air conditioning in my and my friend's room was louder than was acceptable - making a shuddering noise when it turned off. Windows did not have sheers, so it was either full exposure to the outside world, or feeling as if you were in a cave. When I woke up in the morning, we walked outside of my room to find a random individual passed out face-down on the carpet. I told the front desk, and they immediately took care of it, but I had to wonder how long the guy was lying there. For the same price, there are too many other options in the area that are far better...

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PlatinumStrider
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, September 11, 2012

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why it is so important to us that we provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price. The description you presented of your accommodation is not representative of our quality standards and as such is clearly not acceptable. In order to meet our standards going forward, I will work with my staff to ensure that you and our future guests do not experience this type of incident.

As well, I am sorry to hear that your AC unit did not work as expected. I have contacted Maintenance who are now working on the machines to ensure the same experience does not happen again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed here to watch the amazing 4th of July fireworks and Symphony show that Austin puts on every year. The hotel was two blocks away from the park where the fireworks were displayed which made for easy walking and no mess of driving out during the big rush! Location of the hotel is the best feature. Especially nice was the cost of the hotel compared to other hotels that were similar distances from the fireworks display - this hotel was about 60% of the cost of the other hotels, plus free parking and a full kitchen. Those perks were great, but the comfort of the bed was my one big complaint. I did not sleep well. The bed was harder than I've seen at even the cheapest hotels. For a place fitting the extended-stay crowd, having a bed worth staying for would be a draw for me.... If location is key, stay here, but I wouldn't stay more than an overnight trip. The bed comfort isn't worth the cost saved. Hotel staff were overwhelmed and understaffed for an evening check-in. Bathroom was mostly clean, but still could use some work. A used pair of contact lenses was left on the nightstands - a clue to how thorough the room was cleaned?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - Downtown - Town Lake, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

Given how hard we work to provide our guests with outstanding accommodations, I was troubled to read your remarks about the bed in your suite. Please know how important your comfort is to us. We have chosen bedding that we think best fits our customers' needs, and we continue to look for new ways to satisfy everyone's sleeping preferences.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I was able to get a great rate for this room on priceline. It's about a mile walk to 6th st. I felt totally safe 1am in the morning. For the cheap rate I wasn't expecting much, just wanted to hang out dt w/o and not pay a lot. The room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The bathroom did have some mildew, but the water was hot and I had soap. lol.

If you want a cheap room w/in walking distance to 6th, this is it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, so I was happy to read your comments about your accommodations. However, I was disappointed to read the rest of your remarks. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns about the cleanliness of your accommodation. First, please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent a situation like yours from occurring. Standard cleaning procedures include a thorough cleaning and disinfecting of kitchens and bathrooms. Additionally, prior to making any room available, we inspect it to ensure that our normal procedures have been followed. Given the account you described, there was clearly an unacceptable break down in our regular operations, so I have met with my staff to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence.

Indian Head, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

Rooms were mostly clean. The kitchen area needed a little work. The windows opened which was nice. Great location. Close to downtown, and near a lot of restaurants.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies

Lake Charles, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I just recently stayed at Homestead Suites and it was a good experience. This hotel is worth its money. The hotel staff was very helpful and very kind. The hotel was clean and neat. It may not be immaculate but it was very comfortable. The Wi-Fi was a little tricky but it is not the hotel's fault it's the cable service. The location is really nice and within walking distance from some nice entertainment. The only thing I think they need is some new pillows. budgettravelconquest.agentarc.com

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

This is my forth stay and each time it is a pleasant experience. For the price I cant complain it meets my expecations.

Room Tip: call and book your room through expedia.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Homestead Austin - Downtown - Town Lake. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction.