New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of InterContinental Stephen F. Austin

InterContinental Stephen F. Austin
Ranked #13 of 197 Hotels in Austin
Austin, Texas
“Beautiful Rooms, Awesome service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I called ahead to make sure my wife's 40th would be special. Was given the star treatment. Upon check in, this was not the case, but a quick call, and I was upgraded. They brought champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and made everything right. I will return, and have recommended this hotel several times.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for chosing the InterContinental to celebrate your wife's birthday! I truly hope that we were able to contribute to the memories of such a special occassion, and look forward to the next celebration!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel. We were in a king room and those rooms, at least, are VERY large, with an area for a desk and a sofa, as well as a little entry way and a very spacious bathroom. The interior has clearly been renovated, but none of the original charm has been lost. My only comment is that my room -- a corner room on the 4th floor -- was quite loud. The people next to me apparently rarely slept, but worse, I could hear thumping dance music until VERY late. I don't know if that is from Congress Ave, or from the hotel's ballroom, but it was quite loud. Luckily, I have a white noise machine app on my phone, which did the trick, but if you're sensitive to noise, try to get a higher room. (I did not complain to the hotel at the time, because I decided I'd rather live with it than move rooms). Everyone at the hotel is VERY friendly and helpful, and the location is great. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Austin.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for that very kind review! But I must apologize for the noise issue. I'm glad it was resolved with your phone app, but the next time please let us know. And I truly hope that next time is very soon! Thank you again and take care.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed here for a business trip. King deluxe room was very nice, breakfast (extra $) was really good. Good location in Austin. However, the prices are too expensive for me to stay there for a personal vacation. Disappointing that the pool/spa weren't in service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for the 4 Star review! I do apologize for our spa being out of service during your stay, but thank you for your business and for choosing the InterContinental. I sincerely hope we are able to welcome you back the next time you are in the area, as a treat to yourself! Thank you again and take care.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Excellent Bar in the hotel!! The bartender Taylor is very nice and knows his cocktails. He has great customer service qualities and goes out of his way to make sure you are completely taken care of.

I highly recommend this bar!!

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for that great comment and recommendation! And yes, Taylor is outstanding, as our all of our other bartenders at Stephen F's. Come see us again soon!
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great location. Great service. Well kept. Good workout room. Does not feel as old as the property is. Wish internet was free in room. Wanted to sit on the porch but too much construction going on during the days we were there. Nice touches like cold water in the lobby. It's the simple things that go a long way.

Room Tip: rooms are small - but have what you need.
    • 5 of 5 stars
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you so much for that very nice survey!
NY/NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here two nights and found the service to be great, from providing umbrellas, to help in the business center and to taking care of a request for the room. Good location on 7th Street and Congress, within walking distance of most of downtown. Our room was large and comfy, no complaints.

• 5 of 5 stars
Hello and thank you for taking time to complete this survey! We are so pleased that you enjoyed our property, and Austin. Please do come back and see us soon!
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Checked in on a very busy Friday and as Platinum members we were placed on the club level which was very nice. The hotel has been recently renovated and is beautifully decorated throughout as well as historic. The room was very small with a queen bed but beautiful decor, colors and furniture and the tiny bathroom was very nice. I understand that these historic hotels can be small but love them for their charm. The location is perfect to walk all over downtown. After a fun evening and dinner out we finally returned and went to bed late. When I first laid on the bed I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it was and it was caving to the middle and I am small! The bed at the Intercontinental in Montreal last summer was heavenly! Then to further disrupt a good nights sleep, were the loud slamming doors as guests entered and exited their rooms - the walls were shaking and it started again before 7am in the morning. This class of hotel needs to address some way for the heavy doors not to slam shut instead of a softer close and if the gap under the doors was not quite so big that would help with noise control - I even put a towel down there at night. I am always skeptical when I read such mixed good and bad reviews of the same hotel but feel the need to be honest. I went back and checked and see very few mentions of the beds in any of the reviews - good or bad. Hopefully it was a random incident. The front desk promised to check it out and did comp my parking fee.

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank nowpacking
We so appreciate you taking time to post a survey from your recent stay with us. I do want to apologize for what sounds like a frustrating night's rest. I have shared your comments and we are actively looking into your issues. I do hope we are able to welcome you back one day soon, this time for a more restful night's sleep! Thank you again.