“Outstanding service brand new rooms”

InterContinental Stephen F. Austin
Ranked #11 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersBronze level
California, United States
“Outstanding service brand new rooms”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Unfortunately I am writing this from another hotel since they were fully booked for the rest of my stay at SxSW.

Brand new, quiet rooms in the thick of downtown with everyone from the bellman to room service giving prompt, efficient and friendly service.

I would especially like to single out Marissa at the front desk who did her best to find me a room so that I wouldn't have to change hotels and always greeted my party with a smile. When I phoned home I was so effusive in my praise of the front desk staff my wife accused me of having a crush.

The second floor bar is great as well but it is small - so when the town is full like for South By you may have to go elsewhere. But other than that it was great place to stay my thanks to the staff for being so accommodating when my other reservation fell through.

Terence Craig

Room Tip: Rooms on the 14th floor are brand new and well appointed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
StepheFAustinHotel, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Stephen F. Austin, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hello and thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing out property. We are so pleased that you found our property acceptable, and for the kind words about not only about our renovation but our wonderful staff as well! We appreciate your comments and your loyalty to InterContinental Hotels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Waco, TX
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We arrived to check-in at 3 PM on a Friday afternoon. The front desk told us that our room would be ready in a few minutes. We got our luggage out of the car so they could valet park it (only form of parking at the hotel) and a bellman put it on a cart. After 30 mins of watching people check-in and receive their room keys, I got back in line and once again asked about our room. Again, I was told it was not ready and to continue to wait. The bellman kept trying to get us to tell him what room we were in so he could get the luggage delivered, but we still did not know our room number. The bellman eventually told us to take our luggage off the cart.
I can only assume that because I made the reservation (King Bed) thru another website and not directly thru the hotel, they had a very "special" room they wanted to give us. After waiting an hour the manager said he would see what he could do and gave us another room. When we got to the room there were no towels. I called to request towels and was told they had done me a "favor" to get me in a room and they would get us towels when they became available. We did receive towels but no wash cloths. Check-in starts at 3pm at this hotel. We finally got in our room close to 4:30pm. I made the reservation 1 month before my arrival and prepaid, so I am not sure what their attitude of doing us a "favor" was all about. The valet attendants were very good and the bellman tried to help us, but was unsuccessful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TennisPal
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us. We are so sorry for the problems you encountered at check-in. It must have been very frustrating and I can assure you it is not the norm. I do hope we are able to welcome you back so may experience the difference! Thank you for your patronage.