“Fine Hotel...but the noise killed this review”

Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South
Ranked #117 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Utah
“Fine Hotel...but the noise killed this review”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We procrastinated booking a hotel for a weekend trip (Presidents Day and Valentines) so pickings were slimmer than we had imagined.. This hotel was in the right location for our planned activities and the price was great.

The room was totally fine. We had the King room, so it had a microwave, fridge, desk...There's free wi-fi..all the usual amenities of a hotel. Check-in and out was quick and easy. No breakfast, but we knew that booking. There is coffee.

So why is this 2 stars? We were in room 121. I will tell you now, if you check-in and they hand you keys for 121, DONT TAKE THEM. Friday night was a bit noisy. We could hear everything at the front desk and the lobby, as well as the elevators dinging. I should've asked to change rooms that Saturday, but it was very full and I didn't think much of it, and figured I'd be tired enough to sleep. Saturday night...awake from about 1:30-4AM. Incredibly loud drunk people coming in every fifteen minutes. So that isn't the hotels fault, but honestly, 121 should NOT BE A ROOM. It shared a wall with the "kitchen" lobby-thing, it was the first room off the lobby and right by the elevator bank, and directly across from the public restrooms in the lobby. So drunk people, alright. I won't hold that against Red Roof. Then its 1:45 and Rihanna "SHINE BRIGHT LIKE A DIAMOND" is just BLARING, and so I put on clothes in this sleepy-rage and stagger outside my room to find and destroy the source, and it's a radio. in the kitchen. in the CABINET. that is built onto the wall that divides the kitchen from my room. Seriously. It's on louder than I knew a radio that size could play.

Honestly, what? You can have lobby music. You can even have Top 40 lobby music. But how about you turn it off at 10PM? Also, clue, don't put the radio inside a cabinet at top volume that is directly next to a guest room.

Sunday morning we asked for a new room. We got 101, which they showed us and asked if it was OK, I said yes, even though this one is by another back entry door..I figured we may get people coming and going but nothing like the lobby. This was correct, occasional awakenings due to doors, but a solid 80% sound reduction.

So. The room was absolutely fine, everything I need in a hotel room. The staff was great, they moved us without question (probably because every guest who ever stayed in 121 demanded to move). Parking was plentiful, and the location was perfect for access to McKinney Falls, Barton Springs, Town Lake, South Congress, etc etc. However, I will have flashbacks every time I ever hear Rihanna again. Turn 121 into a storage room and never put guests there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from 121.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MOB17
Pamela W, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments are very important to us.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and that you found our newly renovated hotel to your liking.

I apologize in regard to the noise from the coffee area- I understand how frustrating this can be when you are trying to rest. I will remind our staff that the music needs to remain on in the evening.

I hope you will choose us again when your travels bring you to the Austin area again.

Pamela Willingham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed one night. Room was clean although needed some minor maintenance (but not enough to cause concern). We had a room facing the interstate. You could hear the heavy traffic however we solved that problem by putting on the air conditioning fan

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked our newly renovated rooms. I understand about the noise from the freeway and we are researching options in order to resolve this.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Austin area.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2014

The staff was great, helpful and friendly. The hotel has recently been updated and the rooms are clean, comfortable and new. No problems with finding an easy route to downtown Austin. The hotel is near I35 and Hwy71. A noon check out time was great. A good value.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Pamela W, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is always nice to read such great comments in regard to our staff and hotel.
I am glad that you liked our newly renovated property and found the guest rooms clean and comfortable.
I will post your review for our staff to read.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed here at RRI for an extended period of time (November 2013 to January 2014)after our home was destroyed in a flood. To say we were traumatized is an understatement. The staff at this hotel (particulary Sabrina at the front desk, and Tony the maintenance guy) were outstanding! They did everything they could to minimize our trauma and make our stay pleasant. The hotel was very clean, beds quite comfortable, and location very convenient. THANK YOU Sabrina and Tony for making a traumatic time in our lives less traumatic.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Pamela W, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that our staff provided you with great service during your stay. It is unfortunate that your stay with us was due to unfortunate circumstances, however I am glad that we were able to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.
I will be sure to post your review for our staff to read.

Thank you again for such wonderful comments.

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Great Value with a recently renovated facility.right off HWY 35 within a 12 minute drive to the Austin Airport. Very clean and great beds. I would stay anytime I fly out of Austin. Nice and helpful staff. Convenient parking. In all you will not be disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Pamela W, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always nice to read such great comments about our hotel and staff.
I am glad that you found our new beds comfortable and enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. I will be sure to post your review for our staff to read.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Austin area.

York, Pa
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This is actually one of the nicest Red Roof Inns we have stayed at. We are big fans of RRI because of their pet policy, although we didn't have our dogs with us on this trip. This inn is a "big city" Red Roof Inn and is a multi-story hotel, very likely remodeled after being taken over from another chain. The only problem we had was that we arrived early and so the housekeepers had not fully supplied our room with linens and while they did bring some hand towels to the room, it never got fully supplied. Nevertheless we found it very comfortable and enjoyed our stay here very much.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway, as it is a little noisy although the noise insulation is prett...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Pamela W, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel clean and comfortable. We strive to provide the best possible service to each of our guests.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the Austin area.

Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The remodel is great but why skimp and leave OLD showers??? The rooms are very spacious and the staff are all absolutely wonderful.

I would stay at this property again if they fixed the SLLOOOOOWWWW draining tubs. Nothing is worse than standing in dirty water.

The noise from 35 is a little annoying but if you keep the fan on it isn't unbearable. Also, the hardwood floors

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mike C, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Adam J,

Thanks for staying with us, and we appreciate your review. I am glad you enjoyed our newly remodeled rooms and the hardwood style floors. i am glad the room was nice and spacious and the staff was great, I will definitely share these kind comments with the staff as we work very hard to take good care of our guests and appreciate when those efforts are recognized. We did complete a major renovation here, however our showers have been in great shape and are not old so we were able to continue using them. If there was an issue with yours, I do sincerely apologize. This isn't common here and we have staff on property who can fix this easily. If you want to contact me with the details of the room you were in, we can address it faster. Our housekeeping or maintenance team may have already addressed this during room inspections, or if you informed us during your stay. We do appreciate you choosing us, and hope you stay with us when your travels bring you back to Austin.

Mike Ciulla