“Horrible, but decent”

Ranked #105 of 201 Hotels in Austin
Spring, Texas, United States
“Horrible, but decent”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Arrived early, and was no problem, all the staff was very nice, and sweet. but the rooms were GROSS! there were brown stains on the sheets on EACH bed, and a black hand print on the wall.
Beds were SO uncomfortable no one in my family got any sleep, and the pillows were horrible. bathroom was nice, good quality shampoo, but still might wanna bring your own.
You could hear everything so easily in rooms next door, kinda annoying.
Tv had horrible boring channels. And they do NOT serve continental breakfast.
Not a place to bring your kids if you ask me... There were some creepy people staying there, but over all we will not be going back, but the price was cheep for one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Arrived at the hotel after booking online as a last minute check in. Parked next to a truck, while sitting in my car 2 guys walk up, to my amazment I witness what I believe was a drug deal (guy walks to truck next to me, they talk for several mins, guy walks back to other guy at hotel hands him cash, truck leaves). Check in which was easy, get my key and head up to the room. Walk in the room and decide to check out 5 mins after I walked in. Beds were about 1 foot off the ground, sat down on the bed and was practically sitting on the floor i didnt see how i was supposed to sleep. The beds were not comfortable at all they didnt even look clean enough to lay down in. This hotel is the perfect definition of a "roach motel". Did not feel safe due to several people walking around who looked like bums or meth heads. Luckily was able to check out without paying any kind of fees. Stayed about 2 miles down the road at the Wyndam Garden hotel (35 @ woodward), spent a few extra dollars for nice beds and safety. Would not recommend the Red Roof inn to anyone. spend a few extra dollars and go somewhere else!

Room Tip: go somewhere else!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stevo503

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

Laredo, Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Grounds were very clean and since we arrived late we felt good to see the security guard on hand. The only attendant was Charla and I have to say she was very helpful and accommodating to our immediate needs. The hotel is conveniently located. We will definitely stay there again.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Booking dates : 12-23-12 -- 12-27-12
My room : SUPERIOR KING ROOM NON-SMOKING
My Stay: Started badly, Walked into to the lobby noticed a woman behind the counter and a man sitting across the elevators. The woman started yelling a some man in a office behind the counter, who came out and checked me in.
First room: checked A/C by turning it on, opened curtains and a roach flew out at me. checked bathroom and found more roaches so I went up to the lobby and asked for another room and they changed my room and asked why I let them know about the roaches.
Second room: smelled of smoke, again I checked the A/C, the bathroom and the bedding. The room should have been a smoke free room and yet the bedding had cigarette burns through out it and even the halls smelled of cigarette smoke. I stayed because I had to get to my family, remember the man sitting across the elevators... every time I walked in he was there, not sure if he was "staying" in the chair at the hotel but I never saw him leave. I often heard dogs barking into the night within the hotel.
The Hotel : well located, easy to get to, and has lots of parking. It is dated with its decor but one can over look that if everything else is good. They do have a pool but the weather did not permit the use. The pool looked nice and clean.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jim H
Houston
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here one night only. Cigarette smoke permeated the hallway on the floor where my room was located, and the walls in the room were so thin, I could hear the guests on either side of me coughing during the night, as well as a dog in one of those rooms barking. Also, the commode kept making a gushing noise every few minutes, and there was a very noticeable and permanent gold colored stain around the drain in the tub. The wireless Internet signal did not work, which resulted in having to call their technical support hotline to get it working, and that took 30 minutes. Also, this hotel was difficult to get to, and there was only one driveway to enter and leave the property from the freeway. Speaking of the freeway, all you can hear all night long are noisy trucks going by. Of course, there is nothing the hotel can do about that.

Room Tip: Stay at a hotel away from the Interstate if you want a good night's rest!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed a Friday night. There was lots of parking. The lobby was nice and the clerk was very friendly. The room was at the very side of the inn and on the 3rd floor. Elevator was fine. You could hear people in their rooms as you passed in the hallway, but we never heard much through the walls of our room. Upon entering, noticed the paint was recently done and everything was clean. Vanity is seperate. There's a tiny hanging closet and a safe. Shower had decent pressure but never got over lukewarm, and the water felt a little slimey. Flatscreen was nice with HBO and on top of the dresser. There was a huge desk with chair, 2 nightstands and a small round table with chair...kinda too much furniture for the size of the room. Microwave and fridge worked fine, but the fridge made sounds thru the night. A/c would turn itself off and on as well. Bed was clean and decent. Saw a rip in the floor and a hole in the comforter, but what I didn't like were the 10 ladybug-type creatures in the corner of the room above a window (which opened all the way, which was nice). Didn't spot them til the morning. No, they didn't bother us and we didn't bother them, but any kind of bugs in a hotel room is just not acceptable. No breakfast offered, wifi did not connect ever, a couple of lights didn't work, so the price ended up not being so great afterall. Close to highway and many dining options within minutes.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djz032070
Redroofaustin, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for posting a review of your most recent stay on Trip Advisor. I appreciate the feedback from our guest so we can continue to make improvements for our future guests. I will definately make sure our pest control vendor is aware of the issue you experienced with the lady bugs in your room, so corrective action can be performed. In our continued efforts to improve guest satisfaction we are scheduled for a complete renovation to begin during the first quarter of 2013. Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn we look forward to providing service to you in the future.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We have been displaced due to a house fire and the staff has been more than accommodating. Sabrina, Sherrief and Elias at the front desk are the best! We have been here for a week and will most likely be here another two weeks and even though its not home, we are made to feel comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Redroofaustin, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Austin - South, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Red Roof Austin South on Trip Advisor. We appreciate that you chose Red Roof Inn during this unfortunate time. I will be sure to share you comments about your stay with our staff. Again thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn, we look forward to serving you in the future.