Extended Stay America - Austin - North Central
Ranked #181 of 205 Hotels in Austin
Reviewed September 12, 2012

There were good and bad points to my stay:
The good: $35 a night before tax with the deal I got online. Spacious rooms with a bed and a fold out couch bed, air conditioners in each room as well as 2 TV's, fridge, microwave and stove top burners. Pool was nice
The bad: Toilet chain broke after first use(I fixed it), Poor front desk service, was told the floor I was on but not the direction to go, it caused me and my guest to do a lot of unnecessary walking with our luggage.Only 1 entrance/exit was open, at least 2 others were closed. Microwave plate was missing, had to use a regular plate, saw some sugar ants in the kitchen sink. Key failed to work and had to get it re-swiped after the first day. Was tempted to give this a 2 instead of a 3 but was able to stay comfortable and sleep well which was the most important factor. Poor location if heading south, have to go a couple miles out of your way to get on to 35 South. very busy frontage road with moderate to heavy fast moving traffic.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Haveagoodtime27
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - North Central, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. We are committed to providing every guest with outstanding accommodations, so I was pleased to read your remarks about your room. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. For that I am truly sorry.

I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I reserved this place through Hotwire for about $32 a night and stayed here for two nights. I just needed a place for me and my friends to crash after a night out on 6th street and I would say it served that purpose well. The room was clean, but it could have been better. The bed was not all that comfortable and the A/C in the room did not work well. The carpeting in the hallways of the hotel was terribly filthy. Overall, I would say that if you need to save cash and plan to stay out for most of your night, then this is your place.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are much quieter since they are facing away from the highway.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Adeel M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - North Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

I hope you enjoyed your night out on 6th Street! After having recently received a copy of your review for our hotel, I was disheartened to read that your short stay with us was not 100% satisfactory. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We know that our guests have multiple hotel choices, which is why our mission is to provide clean, comfortable rooms at an affordable price that guests want to come back to. The room and property condition you describe is totally unacceptable to me and not at all representative of our quality standards. In response to your post, I have met with our hotel staff and used your review to help coach them on room cleaning and inspection policy.

Let me apologize again that your stay was not completely satisfying, and assure you that we will continue to listen to our guests in forums like this one or directly (please visit our website and click the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page). It woudl be our pleasure to have you as a guest again at this hotel or any other brand locations in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Reserved through Orbitz as a 2 1/2 star hotel, which was more like a 1 star. Box spring and mattress was filthy and gross. Front desk had booked our room to 4 men which surprised me as I was getting dressed for bed. Called front desk several times but no answer finally after frantically calling for 5 minutes Javier answered and apologized. Said he forgot that someone was already in the room. No breakfast on the weekend but was told by Orbitz they did have breakfast. Shady area as the parking lot had people loitering around the cars. Not safe! Second hotel in two days ...batting zero. I guess Austin's standards aren't too high.

Room Tip: Look at reviews but maybe go with a reliable chain.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DWildcatz
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - North Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff. We are reviewing the proper cleaning and inspection processes as well as working on communicating with our guests better in regards to our breakfast offerings. I am sorry that the days in which it is served were not clarified to you; it is only served during the week.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The room was dirty, and when they came in to clean it was equally dirty!! There were crickets all around my room that would not let me sleep and the last day before I left I killed two huge cockroaches!!
When talking to the staff they told me " well, there are a lot of crickets in Texas" and " oh , those should be water roaches" - as if I was expected to get those!!
I paid the price of going to a lower budget hotel.....never again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Agamboaj
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Austin - North Central, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay Deluxe Austin - North Central. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Do not waste your time, money or safety on this DUMP. Rude staff, lazy employees, filthy rooms, washers and dryers that don't work. You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel if you have to stay here!

Room Tip: To choose a good room, stay somewhere ELSE!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Clare S
Reviewed January 8, 2012

I had to be in Austin for about a week and, in an attempt to cut costs, I booked a room at this hotel. Upon check in, the hotel was clearly below my normal standard and not at all that clean; however, I thought I could suck it up for the time I was there. On the fourth day, I began to feel my skin crawling as well as the itching and random "stings" associated with scabies (I got scabies in college so was familiar with the symptoms). I initially thought it was all in my imagination from staying at such a low budget hotel. It wasn't. While it is uncommon to catch scabies from bed linens or towels, it is possible--especially in rather unclean places. Also, symptoms do show up quickly in persons who've been previously exposed. I went to a doctor when I returned home and he confirmed I'd contracted scabies. It took several weeks to get rid of these and the cost of the doctor, prescribed medicines along with the treatments I chose to rid myself of this parasite were rather costly. I will never again spare any expense for a nice, clean hotel room. I obviously do not recommend anyone stag here. It is rundown, dirty, smelly and parasite infested. Also, I am positive I contracted this at this hotel and not from contact with a person--I'd had mo contact with other people for a considerable amount of time.

• Stayed: September 2011
5  Thank kaleidostar
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I paid about $32 for the hotel a night and let me tell you... you get what you pay for! It was disgusting. When you get to the hotel, you think it's ok but when you get into the room... beware! The carpets are enough to make you throw up. There are stains every couple of inches. Don't even get me started on the bathroom! The tub was stained blacked, the door had holes in it, and the toilet had burn marks. Oh, and the sheets? They had burn marks and holes too. The cabinets and drawers were falling off and one drawer was so broken they attempted to hide it behind the desk. It was beyond a dump. And, the staff called my room at 3:15 saying my plunger was ready for pick up. Excuse me? I didn't call for a plunger! GET THE ROOM RIGHT! Let's just say... I got out of there the next morning. I would have left as soon as I got there, but there was no where else to go.

Trust me, you DO NOT want to stay here...

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple