“Comprehensive history lesson”

and up
Austin Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #4 of 332 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum that chronicles the history of Texas with three themed exhibits: Land, Identity and Opportunity.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'm not a history buff, but this place provides a full view of Texas history - which is filled with turmoil and war. The building itself is impressive and this is a wonderful place to spend a few hours

Reviewed February 3, 2013

From beginning to end--a great way to learn or re-learn about Texas history. Lots to see! Excellent exhibits.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were visiting family in Austin. My bro. in-law has been living there with his family for the past while. His wife recommended the museum as a great place for out of towners travelling with small kids - that's us. We were hoping to make it a quick visit, but ended up spending most of the day there. It was great. Not once did the kids ask when we were gonna leave. For my husband and I it was enjoyable too. We like learning about the history of places we visit and the museum delivered in an easy to approach way. There's an IMAX there, but the film showing at the time that was convenient wasn't really about Texas, so we opted to skip it. I would recommend this attraction if you have kids or if you're kinda inquisitive.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This museum was a good thing to do on a rainy New Years eve day. The museum was not too impressive. They will not let you take photos. The attendant claimed copy right laws. I have always taken pictures without flash from coast to coast in many museums.
Parking is expensive and at least two blocks away.
I will not go again.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a great museum, and a wonderful trip for the family or the history enthusiast. It also houses an IMAX theatre that generally runs an excellent movie about the story of Texas, as well as mainstream movies. It's also right across the street from the Blanton art museum, so you can spend a lovely outing by checking out both places (although I advise taking a lunch break at either one of their cafes between the two visits).