“Fallen Far”
Review of Driskill Grill

Driskill Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Driskill Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #467 of 3,754 Restaurants in Austin
Description: Phone Number: (512) 391-7162
Austin, Texas
“Fallen Far”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This used to be one of the best restaurants in the city, with excellent service and top-notch cuisine. Those days are long behind us now.

The Driskill Grill is, unfortunately, one of those legacy restaurants. Because it is in a beautiful setting, and used to be fantastic, it is still sitting on the laurels earned long ago. My recommendation would be to skip this place entirely and walk a block away to the Roaring Fork in the Stephen F. Austin Intercontinental Hotel, or even netter, Congress on Congress Ave. and 2nd St. (owned by a Drisill Grill alumnus).

The only thing worthwhile about this place is the proximity to the Driskill Bar, which is excellent. Skip the restaurant, and drink your dinner there.

• Visited November 2013
Mark B, Director of Food & Beverage at Driskill Grill, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Lju3,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on the Driskill Grill, and sincerely apologize for any shortcomings you received during your last visit. I would be grateful to hear more about your specific experience, as it is guests like yourself that provide us with invaluable insights on how to improve our restaurant, and, by extension, our guests experiences. Please reach out to me directly at mark.bedford@hyatt.com or 512-391-7041 if you would like to discuss further. Thank you again, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

East Providence, Rhode Island
“All around Fantastic!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The service by Erin was perfect. We didn't stay at the hotel, but wanted to eat somewhere nice. We were just walking 6th street and looking in all the restaurants until we saw this one. You could eat outdoors, so we were sold. I ordered a sandwich with chicken and cheese, I forgot what it was called, but I'm still craving it. My side was a fruit cup, which I've never had offered with dinner, but it was excellent.
The food was so tasty, we went back the next day for breakfast and sampled some of their delicious pasty. The hotel is gorgeous inside, I would like to stay here next time I'm in Austin.

• Visited January 2014
Greetings from Austin, Deb C,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback on the 1886 Café and Bakery! The Roasted Chicken & Brie Melt is definitely a favorite of ours, and I am glad to hear you were able to sample some of our house-made pastries as well. We look forward to your return the next time you visit Austin.
Dallas, Texas
“fantastic burger”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The place we intended to eat wasn't open at lunch time so we tried the Driskill Grill. The staff was very polite and the burger was fantastic. Their fries are also very impressive and delivered with a nice presentation. The only complaint I might have is that the actual room itself was pretty cramped and not easy to navigate without getting on your toes.

• Visited December 2013
Hello Philip G,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your recent lunch at 1886 Café, especially regarding the navigation of the restaurant. Your comments are noted and will serve as a helpful tool as we continue to improve the Café and our guests’ experiences. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your burger and hope you have an opportunity to dine with us once again!
“New Year's Eve”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My lady friend and I chose the Driskill Hotel as a destination site to celebrate New Years Eve. We had dinner in the Driskill Grill in the hotel. Being New Years Eve, we knew there would be a fixed menu with a few choices. We were disappointed I with the dinner, 125.00 per person, and unbelievably small portions. The first course was a raw oyster with a little caviar, the oyster was warm, and decidedly unpleasent. The second course was a tough little shrimp on some tired greens. I chose Pork Belly for my dinner and while it was quite good, it was about 1 1/2 inch square. Dessert was ok, not great. The service was excellent and they have an adequate wine list.
I'll try the Grill again when I can order from the menu, and hope it's better.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Tim B
Mark B, Director of Food & Beverage at Driskill Grill, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Good afternoon Tim,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I would like to sincerely apologize for your dinner falling short of your expectations, as the impression you were left with is not something we would like any of our guests to experience. I am, however, pleased to hear that the service you experienced was excellent and hope you are able to return and dine with us again to enjoy some of our dynamic dinner menu offerings.
Memphis, TN
“great breakfast, not so great dinner”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We really enjoyed breakfast, good coffee and a regional style of eggs, the bread pudding french toast was excellent. We went back for dinner, and it was fine but not outstanding.

Visited December 2013
Hello filisann,

I am glad that you were able to enjoy breakfast at 1886 Café and Bakery! I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy dinner quite as much, but would certainly recommend you try the exquisite fine-dining dinner experience the Driskill Grill has to offer the next time you are in town. Thank you for sharing your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Driskill Grill? Share your experiences!