“PERFECT 10! FULL RESORT FEEL IN AUSTIN TEXAS”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #16 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dallas, Texas
“PERFECT 10! FULL RESORT FEEL IN AUSTIN TEXAS”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

Wow! Is what first comes to mind when you first enter the grounds of Travaasa in Austin. A hidden gem I found by googling spa resorts here for a quick weekend getaway. Let's just say I am 100% pleased. From all fresh products used only from farms and local areas within 200 miles to organic sheets and products - this place is a resort feel without the hassle of airports. The food is absolutely delicious and is made by the chef with daily changes in the menu. It is honestly one of the most satisfying and healthy meals I have had. I love to travel outside the country, but if time does not allow this - please, please visit here. You will not be disappointed. The grounds are gorgeous as you can tell from the photos, and the view at the pool is to die for!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Anna S
GuestRelationsAustin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Anna S,
Wow! what a great review of Travaasa. I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the scenery, farm to fork food, and the pool. I hope that we see you back again for a quick get-away soon.
Best wishes,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2014

I went to travaasa with 2 close friends for a short girls getaway weekend. We did not quite know what to expect, but thought it looked nice from their website and other reviews. We were so surprised at how large and accommodating the resort is! It felt nothing like a hotel, but instead like a very nice retreat/resort! We were surprised at how many activities were included in the cost of the room, and took advantage of some exciting adventures! Nice room, super clean, nice pool, jaccuzzi, sauna. The trails were not too long, but we got to go on some nice trail runs/walks, enjoyed the fitness room as well. The restaurant was amazing with healthy and tasty food!

The grounds were so peaceful and serene, just what we needed to get away for a few days!

The service was amazing all around, every staff member was accommodating and friendly and helpful!

WE loved it and will definitely go back as soon as we have the chance! Would be good with spouses also.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed nice
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Kate E,
We so appreciate your perfect review of Travaasa! I am glad to hear that you and your 2 friends had such a great stay and enjoyed so many aspects of our quiet little resort. I do hope that you return again with your friends and/or spouses soon.
All the best,
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Austin is a great city, but downtown can get a little cramped and crowded. Travaasa offers a terrific respite from all that high-rise hustle and bustle―but still keeps you within a short drive to enjoy all that the city has to offer. The property itself is magnificent, located at the top of hill, overlooking an arm of Lake Travis and adjacent to Balcones Canyonlands Preserve. We stayed in a Canyon View room on the third floor and enjoyed the breezes in the early morning and late evenings. The staff at the spa was extraordinarily professional, friendly and engaging. We dined at Jean’s Kitchen our first night and thoroughly enjoyed the farm-to-table experience. You know it’s the real deal when see the designated parking sign for farmers only. We chose to visit Fredericksburg and do a few wine tastings along the way one day so we didn’t get to experience all the activities we might have enjoyed at the resort. However, there is certainly something for everyone all during the day and into the night. The hiking trails are very well marked and make for a nice walk (or run if you’re so inclined) in the woods. The infinity pool is beautiful with plenty of shade to go around, especially on those 100-degree days. Travaasa is well on its way to becoming a must-stay destination in Austin. With just a keener eye to some of the smaller details, such as quality of the towels, turn-down service, in-room snacks/drinks and minor upkeep around the facility, it has the potential to be a truly “exceptional” experiential resort. I’ve already recommended it to several of my friends who live in Texas.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor get the best breezes and have the best vantage points.
Green Features: While there were recycling receptacles located throughout the property, there weren't any in the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gobeach56
Dear Gobeach56,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. I am so glad that you enjoyed our property and consider it to be a must-stay destination in Austin. I am honored that you are recommending us to your friends as well as to TA readers and hope that you join us again soon.
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Fortunately I live about 30 minutes from this resort so what an easy drive. The resort is in the Hill Country of Texas so it reminds me of the foothills leading into the blue ridge mountains of South Carolina. My wife and I stayed for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. They advertise that it is an experiential hotel and it is as advertised. Lots of activities to do. When you arrive, you go to the welcome center, which is where you check in and sign up for the activities that you want to do. My wife and I are 65 and 64 years old, but active. We signed up archery, a cooking class on how to smoke foods without a smoker, geocaching, and a tour of the farm. The farm provides vegetables and eggs to the restaurant at Travaasa. The restaurant is supplied by many local vegetable farms and beef ranches within a 100 mile radius. We also spent a fair amount of time at the zero edge pool that looks out over the Hill Country. The outside temperature was at 100 degrees, but the pool almost feels as if they add cooling to the water. We enjoyed all activities, and they are done with a high level of professionalism. The room was a third floor canyon view corner room, so it was like being in a tree house. Lots of glass and views. The food at Jean's kitchen was excellent, with decent variety. We also watched the bull riding event, but did not volunteer, since being thrown off is a certainty. The one thing that my wife and I enjoyed the most was the serenity of the resort. Nothing ever was crowded and it is a great place to unwind.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jerry C
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Jerry C,
Thank you so much for your review. It is especially great to hear that we pleased a Senior Contributor as we know that you travel a lot and that you really enjoyed the serenity here. We are fortunate to have you so close-by and do hope that you come back to see us again soon.
Best wishes,
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed August 14, 2014

Had a wonderful half week at Traavasa. Beautiful setting, top notch staff, wonderful food, great classes! Really enjoyed Ivonetta's yoga, foam roller and meditation classes. Ditto with Susan's meditation class. Dominick from Arthur Murray studio taught a great two-step class! Broke it down so perfectly even my hubby got it!!! All of the staff are great but a special thank you to Justin in Jean's Kitchen. New server Oscar is a great addition! Loved our room, the view from our balcony was breathtaking. Only change I would suggest is tea,coffee, and light snacks (cookies, trail mix,) should be complementary and available at the bar area outside both Jean's Kitchen and at the Welcome Center at all times.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AudreyS1994,
Thank you for your lovely review of Travaasa. So glad to read that you enjoyed the setting, food and classes. I know that all the staff members you mention will be happy to hear that they made your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Best,
Washington, DC and environs
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Lovely setting, great staff. Conference went without a hitch. My second story room had a terrific view. The food was terrific. We had an outside dinner under the oak trees and it was far better than most hotel's group dinners. Back at the drinks we a tad expensive. But one sorts of expects that at a nice resort. Nice hikes around the resort -- loved seeing the golden cheeked warblers.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear crader,
We also wish that you could have stayed at Travaasa for a little fun! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your conference so much. I do hope that you can make it back for another stay with us.
Best,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I have been to more than a few spas, plus I'm a massage therapist...so I can spot a good one from a mile away. I can tell when a therapist or front desk person is there just to pass time and pay the rent, or whether they really love what they do and where they work. Travasaa is the REAL DEAL. First of all, the moment you pass the front gate, you're instantly transported to a different place and time. It was easy to forget we were even still in Austin, which is exactly what you want at a spa. The grounds are secluded and landscaped to perfection, giving the feel of a desert oasis. The buildings and decor, while minimalist, are comfortable and comforting. The views are unlike anything I've ever seen, including the ga-ga-gorgeous infinity pool, and the intimate patios outside the guest rooms. Everyone we encountered, from the welcome desk, to the young man who whisked us via electric golf cart to wherever we needed to go, to the ladies at the spa center desk, to the massage therapists and aestheticians, were the perfect combination of professional, patient, friendly, and engaging. We had a delectable dinner that evening, and our waitress was over-the-top fantastic. BTW, the last time I had a "spa meal", it was so sparse that we left and went straight to a pizzeria. Not so at Travasaa's restaurant Jean's Kitchen. Tasty, creative AND very respectable portions - yay! No pizza afterwards for me :-) Also, I should mention all the activities, like yoga, horseback riding, cooking classes, trail hikes, and more. In all fairness, Travasaa is called an experiential spa, so it's a little like comparing apples to oranges when comparing it to "regular" spas, which are great for a short respite when you live in the city, like I do. But this place is truly an experience, a perfect escape. Side note: I have been dying to go back to Maui, but couldn't quite justify the cost. THIS would seriously fill that void, on a much more affordable scale. It's that relaxing and secluded.Trust me, once you've been here, the others will pale in comparison.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank NancyMays
Dear NancyMays,
Thanks so much for your "heavenly" review of Travaasa! It was great to read all of the details about your stay and I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself so much. Can't wait to see you back again.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Four Seasons Hotel Austin
#15 of 203 in Austin
W Austin
W Austin
#18 of 203 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!