“An Excellent Weekend Retreat”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #17 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Palo Alto, California
“An Excellent Weekend Retreat”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I met my two adult daughters for a long weekend at Travaasa Austin, and the resort could not have been a better choice. The location was lovely, the rooms spacious and clean, and the staff welcoming and helpful. If we had stayed longer we would have taken greater advantage of the many interesting activities, but an afternoon by the pool, massage for three, a juicing class, and daily hikes kept us busy. The dining areas, especially the outdoor patio with views of the canyon, were wonderful. As happens in the real world, small glitches came up, but the staff handled each with gracious professionalism. They even called to informed me that they had found my daughter's text book, and expedited it back to her in NYC. I highly recommend Travaasa Austin, and hope to repeat this excellent experience at the sister resort in Hana, Hawaii in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sarahbeekley
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear sarahbeekley,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. We are so glad that you and your daughters had such a excellent time and found so many great things to do. I'm also glad that we were able to get your daughter's text book back to her quickly. Really important to keep up on the studies!!!
We hope that you all return to us for another getaway soon,
Kristine Huffman, General Manage

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Colorado
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The entire experience, from calling for reservations through checkout and beyond (you are allowed to stay on property taking classes through 5pm day of check out) was exceptional. We celebrated a very memorable 60th birthday with my mother there. We participated in classes such as Equine Encounter, yoga, ropes course, ecology hike, giant swing, geocaching, etc as well as got in some relaxation time at the beautiful pool/hot tub area. We did not do the spa this time, as there were so many fun classes we wanted to experience that there wasn't time for a massage. The property was beautiful, well kept, stylish and comfortable, all the staff were friendly, personable and eager to help. Meals were excellent--creative, healthy, and delicious (the meal plan was totally worth the $125 for breakfast lunch and dinner, and snacks. It was a truly fabulous trip--I highly recommend it for an all-inclusive trip in which you don't have to leave the property and there is something for everyone to enjoy! The upfront cost is high, but in terms of value in getting two full days of entertainment and meals was totally worth it--it really is like checking yourself into summer camp! I cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: The entire property was quiet. We had a canyon view room that had a gorgeous view of Hill Country. I...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear parkiedee,
We are so honored that you celebrated your mom's birthday here at Travaasa! It sounds like you guys had a great time relaxing and enjoying so many of our activities. I agree that the all-inclusive package allows you to just relax and enjoy your "summer camp" experience.

Best regards
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2014

My mother (just over 50), 2 of my married sisters, & I went to the Travaasa, Austin resort for a few days over Valentine's weekend for a fun Girls Trip Getaway. I highly recommend the experiential resort; it was a great experience, & I was 27 weeks pregnant at the time (And encountered quite a few women who were in their late 3rd trimester - we bonded). We did the all-inclusive package, which I recommend and took advantage by jam-packing our weekend with activities. Here is my advice to make the most of the trip:

1) We are planners, so we planned out which activities we wanted to do MONTHS in advance. What we didn't realize, is that the schedule changes weekly - so when we arrived, half of our classes had been pushed to different times and our plan was all jacked up. Lucky for us, the staff bent over backwards (even scheduling us a private class after-hours) to make sure we got to experience everything on our list. But my advice is to have an idea of what you want to do & sign up first thing when you arrive for your experiences. If you're going a holiday weekend, get there a day or two early, because it gets busy. And if your class is full - make sure to tell the staff, if they got enough feedback, they would create another class the following day to make sure you got a chance.
2) Book the spa experiences when you book your room, they fill up quickly. We opted for cheaper rooms so we could maximize spa time - I did NOT regret this at all, as we spent so little time in our actual rooms and so much time by the pool, eating, relaxing, & adventuring.
3) The pre-natal massage was to die for - I actually enjoyed the 50 minute massage more than the 80 minute massage (I got one the first day and the other the second) because the 50-minute massage let me use this pillow to allow me to lay on my belly for the entire time. 80 minute I was on my side for half, then they switched to my other side. Ask the spa for a guide of pregnancy-safe treatments - they are very helpful and bend over backwards to make sure you're comfortable and hydrated.
4) the food is AMAZING. Seriously. But it was also right up my alley. I'm a 70/30 paleo believer (I still have ties to a limited amount of whole-grain foods & limited sugars) and thoroughly enjoyed their salad bar & organic meat selections. Most was locally sourced and they had quite a few adventure wild-game protein selections. And I treated myself to a blueberry muffin with breakfast every morning - it was more like a pound cake - and it was my pregnant-taste-bud dream boat :) If you geek-out over healthy options and balsamic dressings, then this really is your place (the green smoothie offered at lunch was pretty great too. We really didn't ever eat something that we didn't love - plus we were on the all-inclusive package so we didn't feel bad trying anything and everything).
5) The experiences were really fun - being pregnant, I spent a lot of time watching the girls do the things that I couldn't do (The Challenge Course, the Giant Swing, the Mechanical Bull Riding work out class) for safety reasons BUT there were so many options for things I could do. I enjoyed the belly dancing class, Zumba, nature walks, yoga, the pool, etc. Every instructor was so sweet to always include me and make sure I felt apart, even if I couldn't actually participate, so I enjoyed the times even when I was the designated photographer.

All-in-all it was a great experience. It was a rocky start (when we realize all our classes had been moved around and we had flown across the country only to not be able to do what we'd planned) but the staff made sure we got to experience everything we wanted & that we had a great time. I would recommend this to a friend. As mentioned, we did choose the cheapest rooms to maximize the money we could spend on the spa time - so I wasn't impressed with the rooms (they were really dark & the shower didn't have a full door so it was freezing, and no bath tub) but we spent so little time there anyways, we didn't care.

have fun!

Room Tip: Decide first how much time you'll be in your room - if its good weather, the view by the pool is...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kori B
Dear Kori B,
Congratulations! Thanks for your great review of Travaasa on Trip Advisor! I am sure that other pregnant travelers will appreciate guidance as I know it can be a challenge to find fun (and safe!) things to do when you're expecting. I wish you the best and hope that you can return to us again sometime soon, but understand that it may be a while before you'll be able to get away.
All the best to you and your family,
Fort Worth, Texas, Usa
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Thank you Travaasa for an incredible experience. We will definitely be back again. In the words of my boyfriend it was "his kind of fancy". One of the nicest resorts I've been to but that allows you to relax and be yourself. There is not a single negative thing to say about Travaasa Austin. It is an experience every couple should have at least once!

Room Tip: Can't go wrong since all rooms face the Hill Country.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jasmine K
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Jasmine K,
Thank you for your great review! I love your boyfriend's quote! It sounds like we achieved our goal of helping you have a great time relaxing and being yourself. We hope that you don't limit yourself to just visiting us once and that we see you both again soon,
Best wishes,
Kristine Huffman, General Manger
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Quick girls weekend - the property was beautiful, hidden in the rolling hills of Austin. We started off at the spa with an amazing scrub and massage by Celeste - the best massage I've had, period. We then enjoyed the restaurant with amazing food with most food coming from the on property farm. Then, drinks at the bar with Shawn and Jerry (Jared) as the bartenders. Such a fun night! The next day was the challenge course (thank you Jamie and Ed!), yoga, hikes througout the property, hot tub, sauna. Food all day. The pool overlooks the hills and Lake Travis - simply beautiful. A Farm tour the next day and spa again. Amy at front desk was helpful and checked us out with no problems.
I would highly recommend this place, it's so peaceful and relaxing - the perfect place for a girls getaway. The rooms are great and the beds and bedding are amazing.
The only con is that the inclusive package (pretty steep) doesn't include alcohol which can be quite pricey @ $12 a drink. I would rather pay more up front in the all inclusive then be charged by the drink and have to sign tickets all day long.

Room Tip: Request a room by the spa/restaurant if you plan to be in the mix most of the time, if you want some...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear HeatherDallas,
We are so glad that you enjoyed your girl's weekend here at Travaasa. Thanks for writing us up and sharing your insights with me and all the other Trip Advisor readers. It sounds like you did a bunch of great activities, food and fun. We hope that y'all return again soon.
Warm regards,
Lakewood, Ohio
Reviewed March 23, 2014

In a word, Travaasa. Travaasa Austin finds that sweet spot of wonderful amenities, luxurious accommodations, friendly helpful staff, and really good food without being stuffy, snobby, or the least bit pretentious. Quite a trick!

You arrive at the property and the check in staff immediately sets the tone of laid-back friendliness, while at the same time being professional and accommodating. We were offered yummy spa water, coffee and tea and shown a map of the property. Our room wasn't ready so we decided to take a walk and explore the trails. On the first day, it's kind of hard to know what's what - there are several trails and in keeping with the natural atmosphere are not conspicuously marked. It's hard to get lost, though, and the resort itself is nicely compact and very walkable.

We had a room in the Sage group of buildings, with a canyon view. The rooms were beautifully rustic (rustic decor, not actually rustic) with a coffee maker, water, and a nightly treat left on the bed. The only downside was that there was no bath tub. The room was beautiful and I enjoyed the canyon view, but honestly I spent so little time in the room (busy doing activities!) that it really didn't matter.

The activities that are offered are great fun! Really a great time to open yourself up to something new and different. Every day there are lists of the following days' activities to sign up for. Many of the activities are simply scheduled, meaning you don't have to sign up, you just show up. This is true of most of the fitness classes and the majority of activities in general. There are several activities ("experiences") that require sign-up (due to space constrictions) but no additional fee. There are a few additional fee activities, but I did not partake in any of those.

The daily schedule is great - you can plan out ahead exactly what you want to do when. Start your day with guided meditation (which I did, daily) or with a heart starter fitness hike. There are many things to choose from - all fun and interesting - and you can have a different agenda every day. I did many sign-up activities. Although other reviews have stated that they were unable to ever get into a sign-up activity, we never had a problem if we signed up the day before. Even the one activity we were wait-listed for, we got on. Perhaps it is different in the busier times of year, but we were able to do everything we wanted. I'm not going to get into the specifics of every activity, but there wasn't a dud in the bunch. We tried everything from an ecology hike to bull riding. The giant swing is....well, literally breathtaking. All of the staff were knowledgable, helpful and punctual. One instructor, after having us in her pilates and yoga classes several days in a row, left a handwritten note on our bed complimenting how much progress we had made. I can't express enough that every class was great and even if you have no idea what the class is about, go! It should be noted that most classes, unless otherwise indicated, are taught at a general level. Meaning if you are an expert yoga practitioner, you may not enjoy the yoga class. But for the rest of us, whether you are an absolute beginner or more experienced, the instructors are able to make it interesting, challenging, and accessible.

All of the meals are served in Jean's Kitchen. The food is largely organic and locally sourced, with much of it coming from Travaasa's own farm (take the farm tour, it will really get you excited to eat!). On the Total Travaasa package, all the meals are included. You can literally order anything and everything on the menu. You can also pop in for smoothies or get one to go for a snack later on. The portion sizes are what you would expect at a health spa, but we never left hungry. Most of the menu items were really delicious, with just a few things that I wouldn't order again. I think because of the local sourcing, the menu can be kind of limited and therefore repeats itself. Still, I managed to find something new and different to eat every meal every day. Don't miss the Blueberry balsamic for dipping your bread in! Speaking of bread, no bread was served at lunch. I really enjoy some bread with my salad or soup (served on a buffet here). Asking the server each day for bread at lunch was fine, but only resulted in small piece or two. It would be nice to have that delicious sourdough set out with the lunch buffet.

The only thing not included is the Total Travaasa package is alcoholic beverages. Though with all the meditation, stretching, relaxing, and good feelings, a drink is the last thing you will need. Still, if you decide to indulge, they have delicious concoctions with handmade simple syrups and mixers.

The spa is out of this world! Our Total Travaasa package included a spa credit, which ended up being enough for each of us to get a treatment each day of our stay. We did massages, facials, and the exquisite Hill Country Honey Bee Massage and Body treatment. The spa was so relaxing and the technicians experienced and wonderful.

Not sure what to pack for this level of luxury? I wasn't either But I can tell you for 90% of the day I was in yoga gear and sneakers. No heels or dress up clothes. Maybe at dinner, but even then it's casual. Not sloppy, just not dressy. Relaxed, comfortable, anything goes.

This place was everything it promised - and more! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear CaitlinMagner,
Thank you so much for your amazing review of Travaasa. Your review will help many travelers considering staying here understand the great things in store for them. And your right, we are much more of a sneakers than high-heel kind of property. I am glad that you had such a great stay with us and enjoyed so many of our services and activities. We look forward to having you and your family return again soon,
Best wishes,
Campbell, California
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent three days/two nights here to celebrate our three year anniversary. It was fantastic! Wonderfully relaxing and a great get-away into nature. The food was amazing, every meal was great and the atmosphere in the restaurant/patio was very enjoyable. The spa was wonderful - we each did the Ancient Purification treatment and it was one of the best spa experiences I've had. You leave the spa feeling so fresh and relaxed.

The rooms were great as well. They were very comfortable; I feel like I could have just hung out there and been happy (but with so many things they offer at Travaasa, I can't justify just hanging in the room all day!) They are great with the amount and type of activities they offer.

I would highly recommend this place if you want to get away for a day or two. I will definitely try to make it back here.

Room Tip: Our canyon-view room had a great vaulted ceiling!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Ali R,
We are honored that you chose to celebrate your third anniversary with us at Travaasa. I am glad that you enjoyed all of your activities and meals and that you thought that the Ancient Purification Ritual was one your best spa experiences ever. Thanks so much for your wonderful review and we hope to see you again soon,
Kristine Huffman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Four Seasons Hotel Austin
#15 of 203 in Austin
W Austin
W Austin
#18 of 203 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!