“How do you get 5-star luxury without an ounce of pretentiousness?”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #21 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lakewood, Ohio
“How do you get 5-star luxury without an ounce of pretentiousness?”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

In a word, Travaasa. Travaasa Austin finds that sweet spot of wonderful amenities, luxurious accommodations, friendly helpful staff, and really good food without being stuffy, snobby, or the least bit pretentious. Quite a trick!

You arrive at the property and the check in staff immediately sets the tone of laid-back friendliness, while at the same time being professional and accommodating. We were offered yummy spa water, coffee and tea and shown a map of the property. Our room wasn't ready so we decided to take a walk and explore the trails. On the first day, it's kind of hard to know what's what - there are several trails and in keeping with the natural atmosphere are not conspicuously marked. It's hard to get lost, though, and the resort itself is nicely compact and very walkable.

We had a room in the Sage group of buildings, with a canyon view. The rooms were beautifully rustic (rustic decor, not actually rustic) with a coffee maker, water, and a nightly treat left on the bed. The only downside was that there was no bath tub. The room was beautiful and I enjoyed the canyon view, but honestly I spent so little time in the room (busy doing activities!) that it really didn't matter.

The activities that are offered are great fun! Really a great time to open yourself up to something new and different. Every day there are lists of the following days' activities to sign up for. Many of the activities are simply scheduled, meaning you don't have to sign up, you just show up. This is true of most of the fitness classes and the majority of activities in general. There are several activities ("experiences") that require sign-up (due to space constrictions) but no additional fee. There are a few additional fee activities, but I did not partake in any of those.

The daily schedule is great - you can plan out ahead exactly what you want to do when. Start your day with guided meditation (which I did, daily) or with a heart starter fitness hike. There are many things to choose from - all fun and interesting - and you can have a different agenda every day. I did many sign-up activities. Although other reviews have stated that they were unable to ever get into a sign-up activity, we never had a problem if we signed up the day before. Even the one activity we were wait-listed for, we got on. Perhaps it is different in the busier times of year, but we were able to do everything we wanted. I'm not going to get into the specifics of every activity, but there wasn't a dud in the bunch. We tried everything from an ecology hike to bull riding. The giant swing is....well, literally breathtaking. All of the staff were knowledgable, helpful and punctual. One instructor, after having us in her pilates and yoga classes several days in a row, left a handwritten note on our bed complimenting how much progress we had made. I can't express enough that every class was great and even if you have no idea what the class is about, go! It should be noted that most classes, unless otherwise indicated, are taught at a general level. Meaning if you are an expert yoga practitioner, you may not enjoy the yoga class. But for the rest of us, whether you are an absolute beginner or more experienced, the instructors are able to make it interesting, challenging, and accessible.

All of the meals are served in Jean's Kitchen. The food is largely organic and locally sourced, with much of it coming from Travaasa's own farm (take the farm tour, it will really get you excited to eat!). On the Total Travaasa package, all the meals are included. You can literally order anything and everything on the menu. You can also pop in for smoothies or get one to go for a snack later on. The portion sizes are what you would expect at a health spa, but we never left hungry. Most of the menu items were really delicious, with just a few things that I wouldn't order again. I think because of the local sourcing, the menu can be kind of limited and therefore repeats itself. Still, I managed to find something new and different to eat every meal every day. Don't miss the Blueberry balsamic for dipping your bread in! Speaking of bread, no bread was served at lunch. I really enjoy some bread with my salad or soup (served on a buffet here). Asking the server each day for bread at lunch was fine, but only resulted in small piece or two. It would be nice to have that delicious sourdough set out with the lunch buffet.

The only thing not included is the Total Travaasa package is alcoholic beverages. Though with all the meditation, stretching, relaxing, and good feelings, a drink is the last thing you will need. Still, if you decide to indulge, they have delicious concoctions with handmade simple syrups and mixers.

The spa is out of this world! Our Total Travaasa package included a spa credit, which ended up being enough for each of us to get a treatment each day of our stay. We did massages, facials, and the exquisite Hill Country Honey Bee Massage and Body treatment. The spa was so relaxing and the technicians experienced and wonderful.

Not sure what to pack for this level of luxury? I wasn't either But I can tell you for 90% of the day I was in yoga gear and sneakers. No heels or dress up clothes. Maybe at dinner, but even then it's casual. Not sloppy, just not dressy. Relaxed, comfortable, anything goes.

This place was everything it promised - and more! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear CaitlinMagner,
Thank you so much for your amazing review of Travaasa. Your review will help many travelers considering staying here understand the great things in store for them. And your right, we are much more of a sneakers than high-heel kind of property. I am glad that you had such a great stay with us and enjoyed so many of our services and activities. We look forward to having you and your family return again soon,
Best wishes,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Campbell, California
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent three days/two nights here to celebrate our three year anniversary. It was fantastic! Wonderfully relaxing and a great get-away into nature. The food was amazing, every meal was great and the atmosphere in the restaurant/patio was very enjoyable. The spa was wonderful - we each did the Ancient Purification treatment and it was one of the best spa experiences I've had. You leave the spa feeling so fresh and relaxed.

The rooms were great as well. They were very comfortable; I feel like I could have just hung out there and been happy (but with so many things they offer at Travaasa, I can't justify just hanging in the room all day!) They are great with the amount and type of activities they offer.

I would highly recommend this place if you want to get away for a day or two. I will definitely try to make it back here.

Room Tip: Our canyon-view room had a great vaulted ceiling!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Ali R,
We are honored that you chose to celebrate your third anniversary with us at Travaasa. I am glad that you enjoyed all of your activities and meals and that you thought that the Ancient Purification Ritual was one your best spa experiences ever. Thanks so much for your wonderful review and we hope to see you again soon,
Kristine Huffman
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2014

It was the BEST of everything...Activities, Exercise, Spa, Culinary, Rest, Relaxation...and it was an easy 3 hour drive from Houston! I highly recommend Travaasa....great for mother-daughter trip, a girls trip, couples trip, company retreat...anything!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Cissy B
Cissy B,
We are so glad that you had a great mother-daughter get-away here at Travaasa. Sounds like you did a little of everything and that you had a fabulous time. We hope that you and your mother-friends, colleagues and/or partner - come back to see us really soon,
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night for a local getaway. Everything seemed designed to make you feel good and relaxed. The food and views are spectacular, the rooms are comfortable, and the spa is wonderful. Even though the resort is high dollar, it does not feel stuffy or overly formal. People were dressed comfortably and there were several people at dinner with a book or laptop.

We did the Total Travaasa package, which is worth it if you plan to visit the spa and eat your meals on site. We did the double trouble couples massage, and it was wonderful. My husband claims that I was snoring, but I do not believe him. :-) We spent a long time over dinner with a bottle of wine on the patio overlooking the canyon.

The next morning was a bit chilly, so after breakfast we decided to spend some in the hot tub and sauna. By then it had warmed up, so we went on a hike on the trails. They are not technical but were rough enough to make you feel as though you were hiking in the woods as opposed to walking on a crushed limestone path in a park.

We did not do any of the activities or classes, but my husband was very intrigued by the challenge course. We are hoping to come back (maybe for an anniversary) and do some more of the activities and spa.

By the time we left, I felt like a half-melted pat of butter. Loved this property and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: There are no bad choices, but a canyon view room will make you feel like you are in a treehouse.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelingjulietx
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
travelingjulietx,
We are grateful for your amazing review of Travaasa on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay here, even if it was only for 1 night. We do hope that you return to try some of the activities you didn't have time for, as well as to enjoy another great massage. Your description of feeling like a "half-melted pat of butter" made me smile and hopefully you will too, when you remember your stay with us.
Warm regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I can't say enough about the staff at Travaasa, Austin, TX. They were so attentive to our needs or wants and so friendly. The accommodations are first rate with beautiful views. I participated in many new experiences such as the Challenge Course and Equine encounter in addition to hiking and classes such as yoga and meditation. There were too many wonderful choices for the 3 days my husband and I spent there. The cuisine was excellent (farm to table food). The pool and surroundings were beautiful. It is a great place also for girlfriends to plan a get away. Hope to be back soon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Peggy2013_13,
Thank you for your great review of Travaasa. I am glad that you and your husband had such a great time and left some things to do for your next visit with us. I do hope that you return again and again.
Best wishes,
Humble, Texas
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Want to feel special and unique...try Travaasa for an experience you will never forget. Tucked away in a secluded piece of heaven. All you could want under one roof...activities, great food, and pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Canyon view allows you to relax even more...simply beautiful.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Yolonda G
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Yolanda G,
What high praise! I really appreciate you posting this on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that you had a memorable stay here at Travaasa and hope that you return to us again soon,
Kristine Huffman, General Manager.
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Three of my young married daughters and I went to Travaasa in Austin, Tx for a Girls' Weekend. We LOVED it. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate us. The experiences were what made this trip for us. We did the Equine Encounter, The Bull Riding Core Exercising, The Giant Swing, Belly Dancing, Archery, The Prickly Pear Challenge Course, Hiking, Swimming, Lounging and eating the fabulous food they prepared. We also had great spa treatments each day. We are planning to do it again with their sister when she is able.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be nice. We chose a ground floor one near the spa and pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingGirl529
TravelingGirl529,
We are so glad that you and your daughters had such a wonderful time here at Travaasa. It sounds like you did a lot of activities here as well as relaxed in the spa. It is always great to hear that people find the right balance between action and relaxation. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I hope to see you all back again soon.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
#28 of 202 in Austin
JW Marriott Austin
JW Marriott Austin
#15 of 202 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!