“Like summer camp with flush-toilets, spa treatments and great food”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #30 of 205 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We chose Travaasa based on the many TripAdvisor reviews. Like others, we were blown away by the customer service of every person on property.

We are a group of four women, related to each other through marriage. Three of us are in our mid 50s - mid 60s; one is 45 years old. I traveled in from Kerrville; the others flew in from St. Louis, Philadelphia and Orlando. All of us can't wait to return.

Accomodations: The most incredible sheets anywhere. We had canyon-view rooms in buildings 5 and 6. We were centrally located right across from the spa, yet our back balconies were incredibly private. No issues with noise.

Activities: Hands down our favorite activity was the trail ride. It involves crossing a stream and riding up and down a hill/mountain utilizing switchbacks. We did the 3:30 ride which was perfect as the sun was setting. We did not do the arena lessons or the horse encounter, but speaking to others who did these, again, the horses and horse wranglers were a highlight. Two members did the giant swing--we remarked that both the challenge course and the trail ride were wonderful ways of getting out of one's comfort zone in a supported way. We also enjoyed the Zumba, Tai-chi, and foam roller classes. The geocaching class was interesting--we were just given hints and a GPS and told we could do this anytime on our own. Four of us in the class decided to join up and do this together and we had a great time.

Spa: the winner here was the scalp massage. I also had the aloe and clay body wrap, as well as a custom 80 minute massage--loved them both. Our niece had the honey treatment and thought it was just ok.

Food: We had Total Travassa, which meant we could graze all day long. I had 3 kale smoothies every day. Seriously. They are wonderful. The food is farm-to-table and healthy. We loved it; however, it's not something my husband would have enjoyed. On Saturday afternoon they were grilling out on the patio, which was really great. We also enjoyed the s'more fixings that were in front of the fireplace in the dinning room.

Value: This place is expensive. We knew that going in and embraced it. Perhaps if we had not gotten the Total Travaasa we could have saved some money; however, the ability to go into the dining room and eat whenever we wanted was great. We ate about every hour and a half.

Location: Though it seems isolated, it's only about 15 minutes outside of Austin. I ran the 3M half marathon finishing in downtown Austin on Sunday morning. I was back at Travaasa in time for breakfast and late morning activities.

Overall: I'm a girl who loved summer camp. This place is like summer camp with flush-toilets, spa treatments and better food. My relatives loved it as well. That said, I'm not sure this is a place for everyone--the beauty of the place is that it is isolated and lends itself to total relaxation (beds around the pool are incredible). I have other friends and relatives who would probably prefer a place with a more party-type atmosphere. January was a perfect time to visit--warm in the sun, but cool in the shade.

Room Tip: Buildings 5 and 6 were close to activities, yet still quiet. Canyon view is the way to go--our balco...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

McGlamma,
I was so happy to see your wonderful review! I know we connected at the beginning of your stay, but I didn't get a chance to see you again before you left. I hope that you did will in the marathon and that you'll return to us again for a summer camp-like adventure again soon.
Best,

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Wow. My experience at Travaasa in January 2014 blew me away. From the moment we pulled up to the exterior gate and spoke to the front desk staff until we checked out, we were treated with the utmost genuine kindness and friendliness by everyone. It seems clear that this is a great place to work, as every single person with whom I interacted appeared to be happy and enjoying their work. The onsite restaurant is under renovation, but the service was excellent and the food was still healthy and great-tasting. The spa is beautifully appointed but welcoming, and did not ever feel crowded even though there were a lot of people on property on the Saturday we were there. All the spa treatments I had were fabulous, especially the Watsu treatment, which I highly, highly recommend. There were a ton of fun activities on tap, and beautiful hiking trails, a garden and a labyrinth to explore. Not only do I plan to return to this location, but I hope to stay at Travaasa Hana on Maui on my next trip to Hawaii.

Room Tip: The Lavender Casitas are very close to both the spa and the restaurant, and have lovely views.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Jennifer B,
We are so grateful that you wrote such a fabulous review of Travaasa! It is wonderful that you enjoyed so many of our features, but best of all, that you speak so highly of our team. I assure you that you will find a great staff at our Hana property as well. They are filled with the spirit of Aloha. Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Visited this spa in January of 2014 for a girls' getaway. I was blown away by the excellent customer service - the people at the front desk, the spa, the restaurant, housekeeping - everyone was incredibly warm, friendly and happy to help. I'm a bit of a spa snob and I loved the treatments I got (Thai massage, honey body treatment and sleepy-time aromatherapy massage). The therapists were great. The infinty pool overlooking Lake Travis was scenic. The food in the restaurant (the menu changes every day, so you don't get bored) was healthy and delicious. Would recommend the total Travaasa package that includes meals so you don't have to worry about getting snacks whenever you get the munchies. Beautiful property with hiking trails. Loved this place and will definitely be going again very soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lavender room - it was great because of close access to the spa and restaurant.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

DFWTraveler78,
Thanks so much for your Great review of Travaasa. We so appreciate you taking the time to let us and others know how much you and your girl's group enjoyed your stay here. It means a lot from a "spa snob" as we know that there are plenty of other places where you could choose to stay. I do hope that you return to visit us again soon,
Warm regards,

Reviewed January 10, 2014

You should allow 1/2 stars, Trip Advisor...I would give it 4.5.

We visited Travaasa for my 40th birthday the last week in December, and had a great stay there. Thanks to my sister for the experience and memories! I thought I would break down my review by way of overall accommodations, spa, food, and activities. Hopefully, you find it helpful!

Accommodations:

We were in a “trailview” room which had 2 beds. We were in the “7” building, which was incredibly convenient to the spa and pool, and a short walk to the rest of the facility. The room itself was nice and comfortable; particularly the beds (had there not been so much going on outside of our room, we could have hung out in them longer)! The toiletries were nice, but the ones we got on the first day were much nicer than that ones on days 2-4; not sure what was up with that? The robes and slippers in the room was a nice touch, and we wore them often (mostly to the spa and hot tub). A few minor notes: There was not a “whole” door on the shower, so water went on the floor after a shower. Not sure if that was an intentional design, but it was a bit of an annoyance with two people sharing the room Also, the fan only had one speed; HIGH. Again, not a big deal, but a “LOW” setting would have been appreciated! I also would have loved a bathtub, but spent a good amount of time in the hottub instead. I would have loved to swim in the gorgeous Infinity pool, but alas, it was too cold outside for that.

We had nightly turn down service, which was lovely, as they brought us little bags of kettle corn with a note from the general manager; another nice touch!

The facility was nicely laid out, and all of the activities were easily accessible to walk to (people often offered us rides in the golfcart -- thanks, Cody!). One tip: get to the sign up sheets for activities early in the am, or you may miss out, as spots fill up quickly. That said, I would also suggest going to the welcome center when the activity is ready to begin; regardless of whether you have made “the list”, as many people do not show up to things for which they signed up. I particularly loved the Solidago building; an amazing space to practice yoga. One of the things I loved in Jean’s Kitchen (beyond the space, itself, which is amazing), was the fire that was always on, and the s’mores that accompanied it. One night, after dinner, Thad, from the front desk even lit a fire for us outside, so we could hang out, and brought us the s’mores makings from the kitchen; all while tending to people checking in, etc. Which brings me to my next point…

The staff was the most customer-service focused of any resort I have ever visited (and I have been to many). From the kitchen staff (Jerry was our buddy the whole week) to the activities folks – we loved Courtney and Susan, in particular, front desk – Amy is awesome, and the spa staff, it’s clear that having you relax completely and enjoy yourself is of utmost importance to Travaasa. The icing on the cake (of service) was when we were getting ready to fly home (into a snow-storm), and Adam, the kitchen manager made “travel packs” for us; dried fruits, waters, and other goodies that were greatly appreciated and consumed that night after being stuck in an airport for hours, and having to stay overnight (insert smiley face). You may look at the price-tag of this resort for the “Total” package and be a bit intimidated, but I felt that I got what I paid for when it was all said and done; particularly with regard to the food and resort credit (which translated to massages for us)…

Spa:

Travaasa runs a nice spa, but admittedly, it is overpriced if you're not doing the total package and having some resort credit included. My sister and I both had 3 massage treatments during our 4 day stay, and we wanted to highlight Amalie and Shannon as exceptional massage therapists, but there were others who were not nearly as skilled, so consistency could be improved. Travaasa does a different type of hot stone massage than other places; using hot and cold stones, and it was really relaxing. My body had a strange reaction to the stones, and when I shared the details with the manager of the spa, Kayla, she more than made up for the situation, illustrating the exceptional customer service mentality that Travaasa has, as a whole.

Food:

Chef Ben is a master, and is also a super nice guy. We really enjoyed sitting at the community table, and watching he and his staff do their thing; highlighting fresh ingredients. There is abundance of food at each sitting, so you will not go hungry (but you may miss some carbs -- Sorry, Ben, kale is not always as good as fresh pasta, if I am being honest). Some of their dishes were a bit unusual, so take the leap of faith to try new things – antelope, anyone?! It was good! A few notable items: their goat cheese, in general is fantastic, and the goat cheese ice cream we had on New Years Eve is one of the best things I have ever consumed (we had seconds). See, Ben -- I told you it would make the review! Their beet tart, made with goat cheese, was also fantastic (especially the crust, flavored with tarragon). We loved the kale smoothies, and pretty much had one each afternoon. It was made with ginger, citrus, etc. Speaking of ginger, the Maine Root Ginger soda was absolutely delicious, and something I may need to have shipped to my house. Their chocolate cayenne flourless chocolate cake was also terrific. If you are on the “Total Travaasa” plan, don’t be afraid to ask to try a few things; they’re thrilled to accommodate you!

Experiences: wanted to highlight a few

I started off my week with a private yoga class with Susan, whom I liked very much, and where we focused on challenging poses to enhance my practice. We took several yoga classes throughout the week, and my sister, who is a yoga novice enjoyed them quite a bit! The group yoga classes are not difficult; they’re perfect for anyone who wants to try it out, and the instructors are easy to follow, but if you’re experienced, you will likely not be challenged; just wanted to be upfront about that.

Giant swing: Really cool experience, where you’re hoisted up in the air, pull a cord, and are just left to swing in the breeze. My sister and I both have back issues, and Scott, Courtney and Joshua were all really terrific instructors who worked with us, and allowed us to try a somewhat modified experience (in other words, you don’t have to go all the way to the top to still experience it).

Equine encounter / horseback riding: I will admit it: as a fast paced North-Easterner, I was skeptical about “communicating with horses”, but this may have been my favorite experience at Travaasa; certainly memorable. Jodie and Matt are your guides for the horse encounters, and were really great guys who clearly love horses! The equine encounter pairs you up with a horse, and you basically learn to connect non-verbally with them, and then test out your “leadership” of them by getting them to follow your commands in a ring (with them unleashed). Patience is required (which I lack), so it was a good exercise for me. It was a very cool experience, and I would highly recommend that if you plan to do the train rides, you try to do the equine encounter on the same day; that way you can connect with your horse before you ride it. Re: the horseback riding, be prepared for some steep hills that are very rocky, but the horses are very comfortable with the trails.

Farm tour: Let me say that Kim, who runs the farm is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever heard about food. She is really passionate a bout what she does, and her connection to the kitchen was obvious; hence the farm to table focus. She’s only been growing things there for a year, and already has quite an impressive garden. It was really cool to see things in the ground on your plate that night!

A few other things to note: if you're flying into Austin, and needing a car service, it's about $75 each way (Clean Air Limo was on time and very professional). The place pretty much shuts down at night, so if you're looking for a wild time, this ain't it. One note to the property: it was a bit dark, so you may want to put up more lights along the paths at night. I felt safe, given the gated community, but someone may trip and fall at some point.

So, that sums up our trip to Travaasa: a pricey-but-worth-it (for that special occasion) kind of place. For me to have not turned on my work phone the whole time I was there, says a lot about how disconnected I was from the reality of life! Enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank mikeandkristin

mikeandkristin,
WOW! Thanks so much for a great and complete review of Travaasa! I know travelers rely on Trip Advisor to help them select the perfect get-away and am sure that readers will find your information very helpful. We are honored that your sister chose us to help you celebrate your very important birthday and hope that you return again soon.
Best to you,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed at the Travaasa over the New Years last week. Truly an amazing experience. So exceeded our expectations and we will be back soon. The staff, spa, dinning, room, grounds and experiences were all top shelf.!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Andy B,
I really appreciate you taking the time to review Travaasa and am very happy to hear that you had an amazing New Year's celebration here. I hope that you come back soon and that you plan to join us again to help bring in 2015!
Best,

Reviewed January 4, 2014

What does that mean? Apparently it means that you can have wonderful locally sourced meals, great wine, gorgeous long range views, a comfortable bed and bathroom and still feel like a kid at a luxury sleep away camp!
From the horses to the zip line, there is something for everyone. No kids under 16 so for those of you who want some romance AND fun this is a great choice.
The infinity pool is beautiful. The 2 and a half mile hikes are invigoration. Didn't even try the spa, but it would be a great addition to the weekend.
I would consider this a wonderful addition to a hotel in Austin, either the Four Seasons Austin or the San Jose Hotel, to round out a 5 night Texas getaway. Get the music etc. in Austin, and then venture out to the Texas Hill Country for a totally different experience. I promise you will try things you didn't know you would enjoy, eat something unusual and delicious, and go home totally rejuvenated.

Room Tip: Splurge on the 3rd floor room. The view is worth it. If you aren't sure how you want to use th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Becky8319
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear Becky8319,
What great praise! Thanks so much for your review of Travaasa. I am happy that you enjoyed yourself so much here and found so much to do. Hopefully you'll find some time to visit our spa on your next visit. I love your suggestion of a Town & Country-style visit to the Austin area and am working on a package like that now, so we'll keep you posted.

All the best to you in 2014,

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I visited Travaasa for a couple of days after Christmas so that I could spend some time reflecting on 2013 and preparing for 2014. This was my first time to visit and it went beyond my expectations. The staff is so friendly and down to earth. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. The entire feeling of Travaasa is one of peacefulness. I had a canyon room and the view was incredible. I watched the sunrise over the canyon from my room. The food was amazing! So fresh and delicious. I also did the equine encounter and that was an excellent experience. I spent many hours in the spa one of the days I was there. I had a facial, eye and scalp treatment along with a detox scrub/massage and foot treatment. All were fantastic! I can not wait to plan my next trip to Travaasa!

Room Tip: I was extremely glad that I paid a little extra for a canyon room. The views are amazing.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mamaintx

mamaintx,
Thanks for your review of your stay at Travaasa. I am so glad that you had a fantastic time and enjoyed so many of our services and experiences. It is great that you took some time for yourself preparing for 2014. I hope you have a healthy, happy and adventurous New Year. See you soon!
Kristine Huffman, General Manahger