“Travassa Spa In Austin”

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #30 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Perfect in every way. Highly recommended. The staff was very acomodating and friendly. Splurged on a massage every day and all therapists were excellent. The rooms were comfortable and the activities varied. The food was very fresh and tasty, and who would have guessed that a retreat would have a bar as well. We induldged in a couple of good bottles of wine and totally chilled for a long weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Elliebythesea,
So glad that you could chill at Travaasa for the weekend. Sounds like you enjoyed your massages and had a good time with activities as well. Please come back to see us soon for another perfect weekend.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I received a gift certificate for my birthday to stay at Travaasa and I was amazed to find that it is located less than 10 miles from my home in Cedar Park. Who knew this place existed?? All in all I enjoyed my experience and would return but there are some things that would have been helpful to understand before coming here that I think would have made my stay more enjoyable. Although this place is relaxing it is also meant to get you active so this is not a fancy 5 star hotel where you will not get dirty during your stay. This place is kind of a rugged resort. So if you know what to expect it's easiest to enjoy your time. First off, let's get the negative out of the way.

The Restaurant: I am not sure how anyone had good reviews, maybe the chef had a few off days while I was there?? The first day I had lunch and dinner. For lunch I had the veggie burger. I am not currently a vegetarian but was for over 12 years and currently eat poultry infrequently. So I have been through many many veggie burgers and have had very awful ones and very good ones. I generally only order them when I am sure they are going to be good, I assumed since this place had their own chef if would be a decent burger, my expectations were not high, but I did expect something with some flavor. I have to say this was the worst one I have ever tasted and that includes those from the grocery store. This one lived up to the stereo type of tasting like cardboard. If I was given mashed up cardboard and this burger I wouldn't have known the difference. I was hungry but didn't eat it. Later that night we ended up with a dinner bill of $125 and I would have rather eaten at Olive Garden. I am not a snob when it comes to food but I also will not waste my money on something that doesn't taste good. I believe that good food can be found anywhere. There are some dishes I like at some chain restaurants and I also enjoy the food at Hudson on the Bend or Papas Bros steakhouse in Dallas. The chicken was dry and lacking anything special that rates the price. Next time I stay I will eat at Olive Garden because it is really close by. Thankfully the desert was amazing (I ordered something they couldn't mess up) and the tea was delicious. Breakfast buffet the next day was pretty good. I enjoyed the options and everything tasted delicious.

Now, the positive:

Room: Very nice view and comfortable size. I like that they are in smaller buildings. Very clean. I am always worried about hotels but the room was exceptionally clean. There is carpet, but I always wear my shoes. It didn't seem dirty.

Grounds: Beautiful area and trails to walk on. I had a nice nap in the hammock. I am from California and have a difficult time adjusting to the bugs and heat in Texas, but there is something about this place that feels more like California than Texas.

Classes: You do have to sign up early. Arrive first thing in the morning and sign up for the classes as soon as you check in. Some classes fill up faster than others. I had a great time with the equine encounter. It was amazing but you will get up close and personal with the horses (and horse flies) and you will get dirty. This was my favorite class. I also did the trail ride but it was more difficult than relaxing as the narrow trail goes up and down the steep hill. I was expecting a more horizontal path. I enjoyed this ride but would recommend it if you are already comfortable with riding. The archery class was fun and the watercolor class was relaxing. Amazing choice of classes. Classes change every day so pick your stay based on the classes you want to do.

Pool/Spa: Awesome. I never go out and sunbathe, (ever!) and I was in the pool with my face directly in the sun soaking it in. I was so relaxed and the view was amazing!! The spa was relaxing although I would just hang out in the pool next time.

I would recommend this place for a solo getaway or for friends. I am sure it is good for couples as well, but I think it is more of a time to reflect and have some quality alone time. They add 18% to just about EVERYTHING!!! Including the horseback ride. This was not completely clear and it really makes a difference in the bill. It was most annoying on that awful meal so next time I will not do any of the paid activities and will eat elsewhere. Then I think it would be a very worthwhile experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a canyon view. There are 4 rooms to each building so 2 are upstairs.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Monica V,
Glad you enjoyed your Great Escape here at Travaasa. It sounds like you enjoyed many aspects of our property. It is great you had a chance to relax in the sun at our wonderful infinity pool. Sorry you didn't enjoy the food. I will make sure to follow up with chef regarding the veggie burger, as it sure doesn't sound like it was enjoyable. I do hope you return again to enjoy our property again soon,

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Beautiful experience. Such friendly staff and so helpful. The best "active" resort I have ever been to-loved the yoga and the hiking. My massage therapy was unbelievable. Samantha is a remarkable massage. Our room was spacious and breathtaking. My daughter and I loved the view, the freshness in the air, the sheets, the shower(couldn't get my daughter out of that shower either), and decor.The staff was helpful and accommodating at every turn. Our meals were divine and exactly the amounts we require. The view again was fabulous. I was surprised how reasonable the spa activities were. Of course the room was right in line, too. The ladies locker room was supplied with all that we needed. Thanks.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Izzy174
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Izzy174,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. It is great to hear about all the things that you enjoyed about the property, but best of all, to hear that you found all the staff friendly and helpful. I hope that you and your daughter join us again when you need another respite.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I decided to splurge for our anniversary, the price did make me think twice, but I don't mind paying more when it usually assures me stellar service. This is not what I received for my 'total travaasa' experience.

We woke up early and hit the road. We got a little lost but we eventually found our way thanks to a friendly attendant from travaasa that I called when google maps failed me. I like that the grounds are gated and you have to call to be let in.

Check-in at painless until I realized all the activities we wanted do were full. The desk clerk suggest we try for tomorrow but all our choice activities were not provided the next day. The husband was disappointed but I assured him this would be the only hiccup on our mini vacay.

We decided to hang out by the pool until our trail rides. It was beautiful and the water was perfect. We then headed over the poolside cabana only to find it soaking wet from the people before us. My husband offered to get towels to put down but the towel bins were empty. When I brought this up to the pool attendant, Miguel, he shrugged it off and said he will get the "spa girls" to fill them. We waited ten minutes for a towel.

We were excited when our time to go on the trail ride came. The cowboy was very friendly and well seasoned to teach us to ride. My husband has never been on a horse before and it was a very good experience for him. Once we got back the front desk said our room was ready early. The attendant assured us our bags were already in our room. My husband questioned the validity of her statement since the key to his locker where our belongings where in was still on his wrist. The attendant tried to play it off like she thought we were someone else. We were taken to grab our belongings and then to our room by Art.

When we were let in and it was different than what was shown on the website. I wanted a 'single bed' room. We were placed in a 'two bed' room. When I questioned this with Art he told us he was sure this was our room but will have someone call us about it. There was a card on the first bed with a handwritten note BUT it was propped in front of some kind of cookies with nuts. Which I can't have due to allergies. I disclosed this in my pre-arrival survey.

Our wine and cheese (which was supposed to be a surprise for my husband) was no where to be found. I then began to get teary eyed given the situation. I called the front desk clerk and she assured us the room was an upgrade given the space difference. I also had to question where our amenity was IN FRONT of my husband and she said she would check on it and call back. Twenty minutes later it arrived.

We tried to shrug this experience off and looked forward to our beer tasting. When we arrived our instructor was friendly. But he was also adamant to let us know he was just 'filling in' since the wine and tequila specialits where on vacation. He said he normally does accounting and brews beer at home. He was proud to tell us they just picked him because he "seemed like a good fit" and they felt they had to offer a tasting as one of the selected activities.

We left to go to our room to wait for our reserved time to have dinner. We then received a phone call that my husband took. It was the front desk clerk asking about our room situation. He then told the lady about our displeasures and she assured him it would be the last of our issues. Service was once again slow and our waiter Rene was very hard to understand from his accent. He was a nice guy however, and also wanted to apologize for the mistakes made throughout the day. He offered for us to purchase a bottle of wine on the house. We told him we did not want wine and already had a bottle in the room. He then said all alcohol was on the house and we could order whatever cocktail we wanted. We obliged the offer instead of pressing the issue since Rene was so persistent.

The dinner was delicious. The desserts were to die for, but once again I was offered one that was made with nuts. I am not sure why I had to fill out a card with food allergies if you aren't going to remember? Breakfast the next day was good but we still experienced slow service. Checkout was ok, we were addressed as the wrong name, and then asked about the room for the 4th time. I felt like the front desk clerk just told us what we wanted to hear and she "understands". That upset me since I do not think she understands at all the expense it was to just stay ONE night at the facility and also the meaning behind our stay.

I left feeling swindled and will not be returning. Also, when we came home we saw a charge of over $300 pending on our account. When my husband questioned this, he was informed that it was for the spa. He let the attendant know we were not informed of any remaining balance, especially since we asked at check out if we owed for anything else. The woman stated she would refund us our money but it still does not change the fact that our supposed to be relaxing romantic vacation was ruined and we are more stressed out now then when we arrived.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Leah O
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Leah O,
I am so sorry that you were disappointed by your stay with us. You are right, it sounds like you did not experience stellar service while you were here and I am following up on each and every one of the issues you experienced. I realize that this doesn't reimburse you for your investment in time and money and would like the opportunity to make it up to you in some way. Please contact me at kristine.huffman@travaasa.com or 512-493-3668.
Best,
Kristine Huffman

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Travassa is a very unique spa experience with all-inclusive packages including meals, activities, and spa credits. I had an outstanding massage therapist, April, for my spa treatments. The swimming pool is beautiful with a scenic mountain view. The farm to table food is healthy & nutritious. The room was very comfortable with lovely linens. The staff went above & beyond to insure comfort & happiness. I really enjoyed the classes including yoga, meditation, and painting; all taught by Kate. After only 3 days, I left feeling refreshed & rejuvenated in body & soul. I highly recommend!!

• Stayed: September 2013

DrAnise,
Thank you so much for your review of your trip to Travaasa. We are so glad that your left feeling relaxed and refreshed. I will certainly pass along your praise to all the folks you mentioned. I do hope that you return to us again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Went for a long weekend Labor Day holiday...wanted to do some R&R. Very disappointed. As soon as we check in- room was not ready and we waited for 2 1/2 hours. Finally we get to our room- no Wifi. Was told they will check on it-- and then we had to call again - apparently- they were attempting to fix it. Well- it was not fixed the entire time :(
Certain Activities you must sign up~ but the list was full by the time you got to the activity board. How can they say activities included but they have a max of 6? 8? Hello? your chances of getting in are very slim. The gal said- you can go at the board at 12MN so you can reserve the next day activities- OMG! I'm paying so much and I have to do what?
The best part was the water guy from Jean's Kitchen- he re-filled our glasses without needing to call him. The wait staff were very nice as well and food was good.
There are better places to stay at if you are going to pay this price range.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JoanaRMac
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

JoanaRMac,
I extend our apologies for the difficulties that you experienced during your stay with us last weekend. We were just finishing up our renovations prior to the weekend and realized at the last minute that the internet wiring had been inadvertently cut by the landscaping contractor. I know that it was an inconvenience. You are right, we do limit participation in some activities due to the logistics of how many people can do a given activity during a period of time, but are building a few more stand-alone elements on our challenge course and have just launched a bicycle adventure track to add some more programming. I do hope that you do try Travaasa in the future.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Overall, we were very disappointed with our stay at Travaasa. We were so excited to have a luxurious and healthy getaway and although the grounds are very nice, the accommodations felt like we were at a moderately-priced condo on the beach. Our room was in an areas that was just reopened from remodeling (that day actually) and as you can expect, they were running around like crazy people planting and cleaning. Check in was supposed to be at 3 pm, we were not able to get into our room until around 4:45. Stuff happens, we understand that, but once we did get to our room, it was so very sad. No light, no warmth... the bathroom was larger than the bedroom area (great shower though!). You did not want to spend one minute in there longer than you had to. And we were stuck next to the mechanical room.

On the positive side, the grounds are nice with lovely views at certain points, but would have like to have seen more sitting areas throughout, under trees, etc. to enjoy the outdoors (especially since we did not want to be in our room). Great, easy hikes through Balcones Canyonlands!! Free activities were okay-- challenge course was super fun. Restaurant was tasty although a little expensive for dinner if you are going ala carte. We went off property the second night for dinner. The staff was great... everyone from the pool waiter to the front desk staff was pleasant, welcoming and informative!!

The devil is in the details and when people are spending $400+ per night expectations are higher than normal.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angie B

Angie B,
I am glad that you enjoyed our activities but am so sorry to hear how disappointed you were with your stay. I appreciate your feedback about the room and apologize that you had to wait for a room due to our renovation delays. I do hope that you return to give us another try in the future and believe that we have already extended an offer for a complimentary stay in the future.
All the best to you,