“The BEST”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
North, South Carolina
“The BEST”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Perfect in every way. Don't know how and where there could be any improvement. Quite a special experience from mechanical bull riding to spa to wonderful food. The staff, the guests, and surroundings make this a wonderful place to enjoy yourself, challenge yourself and pamper yourself.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Traveler6102013
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Traveler6102013,
Thank you so much for saying that we're the BEST! Glad you enjoyed riding our mechanical bull, along with all our other activities and opportunities to just kick back and relax. We look forward to seeing you back here again soon.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Wow. Cannot express what an awesome weekend my husband and I just had at Travaasa. It is unlike anywhere we have ever stayed before. The grounds are just beautiful and so, so relaxing! We did the all inclusive and think that it was worth EVERY CENT. We would have spent more if we hadn't have done the all inclusive, we feel that it was a great deal. Our only charges were for our alcohol and we did many activities and spa treatments. It's just nice to have everything paid for upfront and to not have to worry about it while you are trying to relax!

Staff: SUPER friendly, they really do aim to please and are genuine and helpful. Check in was a breeze and our room was ready early.

Rooms: The beds are awesome, and I'm very picky about my bed! Very comfortable and we slept great. We had a trailview room because the canyon rooms were booked- we still had a great view since the rooms are in the woods, but would like to try the canyon room next time. The bathroom was not that great, but very clean and was stocked with supplies. Housekeeping did a wonderful job tidying our room twice a day. The rooms could use a slight facelift but I hear that Travaasa is in the process of doing that. We were so delighted with the rest of the resort that we didn't care about the room. It was very secluded and comfortable so it was fine.

Food: Where do I begin? IT WAS WONDERFUL. I am gluten free and many of the menu items, which change daily, are gf. It was such a nice surprise for me. Everything is organic and fresh with calorie content listed on the menu. They even grow many of their own vegetables and get their eggs from their own chickens. We want to go back just for the food! It really was that good. Compliments to the chef and to Sunny for never letting our water glasses get down halfway!

Activities: You can sign up for them in the welcome center or call the front desk and they will sign you up. Just look online before you arrive so you know somewhat what you want to so and sign up as soon as you get there. Space does fill up but we did everything that we wanted to do and this was never an issue for us- and the resort was completely booked when we were there. Many of the activities are free and you do not have to sign up for them. If you get the all inclusive, you have a $125 pp/day credit that you canuse towards these activities. We did the beer tasting (really cool!), a cooking demo (you get to eat!), and horseback riding- which is up and down some steep hills and is really fun! Once again, the staff at all of these activities was always warm and welcoming- they truly want you to have a great experience and it shows.

Spa: LOVED it. My husband and I both got facials and they were both great. Cat did my facial and it was the best I've ever had. Spa is oh so relaxing, VERY clean, and well appointed. Staff here super friendly as well.

Pool: BEAUTIFUL and refreshing! Great view! Pool chairs are a little uncomfortable but we didn't care! We never had a problem with the food/drink service at the pool and there were always chairs available (and the resort was fully booked). Pina Coladas were to die for.

We really don't have any negatives about this place and can't wait to go back. It was one of the best weekends we have ever had. Everything was so laid back and we felt pampered the entire weekend. I think the people who complain about this place are just spoiled whiny brats! This resort is not pretentious or snotty, so if you are, stay home and don't ruin it for the rest of us!

Room Tip: Try and get a canyon view room or a room on a higher floor. Corner rooms are very secluded.
2 Thank juju571
juju571,
Wow, I really appreciate your wonderful review of Travaasa. I am so glad that you enjoyed our staff, rooms, food, activities, spa and pool! All of the staff is pleased that they provided you with one of the best weekends you've ever had! We look forward to having you back, and next time you'll be more comfortable in our brand-new pool furniture.
Best,
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My friend and I wanted to take a trip where there would be a lot to do but still plenty of time to relax and be pampered. At Travassa, we found the perfect combination. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and we enjoyed everything we did while we were there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tracie D
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Tracie D,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. We are so happy that you and your friend found a great combination of activity and R&R here and that you enjoyed everything. I hope you return to us again soon,
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Travassa austin exceed all of my expectations. I spent only 3 days here but during my time I was able to enjoy the all of the organic "wonderfulness" of this resort. I have had the chance to travel a lot of places around the world and I have never encounter an more cheerful and helpful group of employees that cared enought may my stay unforgettable. The place as a whole has to be recieved to truly understand how amazing this place can be. The restaurant, spa, pool, rooms, grounds, and activities all created and extremely comfortable and relaxing environment. it was quite and at times, I felt like my wife and I were the only people on the resort. My proximity is to travassa is only 3 hours from my home in houston and I plan to make this place like a second home when i have free weekends to enjoy time with my wife. Thank you Travassa for a truly amazing experience.

Room Tip: I would choose a room were the balcony does not have a direct line of sight to any other balcony. A...
1 Thank Prentis R
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Prentis R,
We are so glad that you plan to make Travaasa your second home! Thanks so much for your wonderful review. I am glad that you enjoyed our pool, restaurant, spa, activities, but most of all, the Travaasa Team. We look forward to seeing you again soon,
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I spent this last weekend at Travaasa Austin adn while we had a wonderful weekend, I'm a little on the fence regarding Travaasa. I think Trevor M below must have been there the same weekend and his review sums up our thoughts. There were so many things so right with Travaasa, but it was just missing some key things to be such a high end resort. And I feel guilty saying that since in every way the people go above and beyond to be gracious, accommodating and friendly. They really want you to love it like they do.
First let me say that I dont mind paying the cost of a resort on the level of Travaasa. When I travel for pleasure I want and am willing to pay high end. Secondly, I knew this would not be the true luxury spa experience like down the road at Lake Austin Spa, but that isnt what we wanted. So, at risk of echoing Trevor M, here is my feedback:
Pros:
Travaasa delivered on so many things
1. Property: the property is very pretty Austin HIll Country. Bungalows or cabins nestled in the trees.
2. Atmosphere: It has a very low key, almost camp like vibe to it. You are instantly relaxed.
3. Food: The food was very very good (it was the highlight of our stay) and we live in Dallas with LOTS of good restaurants. But everything we ate at all meals was delicious and so fresh (farm to table concept)
4. People: They must interview for hte nicest people in Austin. Almost friendly to a fault, if that ispossible. But that relaxed service is the goal and they nail it. Very very friendly. For me, I dont like that type of service at a nice dinner, but thats just me. Anyway, the people that work there seem to love their jobs and Travaasa. It is very nice and refreshing.

The so so or a little disappointing:
1. Activities - the good ones were always booked and we could not participate. Its fine if this werent something I was already paying for in my resort rate or service fee. They need to somehow figure this out because, while we were fine jsut sitting by the pool, it was disappointing not to do some of hte things we wanted. As an experiential resort they need the popular activities to have much more availability.
2. Rooms - I wasnt impressed . Except the beds and bedding were great. But to me, they were very basic, rather cheap rooms. Bathrooms were not real stone, small windows for such a lovely locale, small patio...I was expecting big windows, big patios.... It was fine, nothing to be upset about, but certainly not high end. My guess is The Crossings (the original resort) was not built to be as high end so they are wokring with what they have. If so, at least update to have docking stations for music (no one travels with CDs anymore), an upgraded coffee machine, etc.
3. Pool - it is a lovely semi infinity pool. But in my opinion, this is where they miss it. And where we were most disappointed. The chairs were terribly uncomfortable after about an hour. Not enough to go around...people were having to sit on the ground. Very short staffed (maybe someone had called in sick?) but very slow service (though friendly). Food at the pool was very limited. And service in plastic to go boxes. All drinks served in plastic cups. I got tired of so much plastic ready to be thrown away. To me the pool seemed like an after thought to them. The pool area definitely needs some upgrading both in facilities, service and food.
Anyway, I may be too negative her and I dont mean to be. I liked it alot, but wiht the cons listed above, I just dont know if Id go back at that price without some upgrades (esp at the pool).

Room Tip: Second floor so you have a balcony.
2 Thank txtvler2016
txsMr,
Thanks for your comments about Travaasa and I am happy that you found our staff to be refreshingly friendly. You are right that we are improving our property day by day and in fact are going to be upgrading the rooms this summer with better (quiet) AC units, new bathrooms, carpet, etc. So, if you return to us you will find a higher end experience in the rooms. New pool furniture is on the way and we are also working to get a wider variety of exciting activities so that people can find just the right experience while they are here. I do hope that you return again and find everything going for us.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Travaasa Austin was such a great place to escape to! The activities were great opportunities to meet fellow guests and to have fun and get in good workouts. The spa and restaurant were both comfortable luxuries at the end of activity and fun filled days. The restaurant's farm and water to table ingredients were fresh and delicious and the s'mores and kettle corn at the end of each day were great treats! The resort is close enough to visit downtown Austin and is welcoming and suited for solo visitors, groups of friends and couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Michelle B
Michelle B,
I think you've coined our new tagline! Thanks so much for your review. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself and hope that you return to us again soon,
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Travassa is one of those places that has almost everything going for it. The one kicker is for the price they come up short. They make a great attempt and will get there I am sure but they are lacking in a few areas in my opinion when you account for costs. So let me explain....

first off the grounds and location are quite impresssive. They truly have captured the essence of a peaceful place in the texas hills for rest relaxation and connection. once your there your needs are taken care of albeit at a cost.

however, at the price per night and the fact that they throw in the "amenities" fees right on top the expectation is what they advertise should be readily available. I get it, it costs to offer numerous activities so they need to throw in said fee to make those margins. However the expectation would be that those advertised amenities (for which you are paying) are readily available. So, its the weekend (i.e., busiest time) and the challenge course can host 16 folks per day. How many guests are staying at your facility? do the math. This was seemingly par for course in most of the offerings.

Rooms are nice but nothing to blow you away. Beds and linens suggest price but ac units loud and inefficient, bathroom a bit on the dirty side with patchwork upgrades (indicative of DIY construction), carpet had staining. All not huge deals but when comparing other facilities at that price per night typically not what you find.

Finally, service and personnel. Super friendly and laid back which is great and fits the vibe of the resort so 5 stars for personality. However, experience is certainly lacking in many. The poolside situation on a hot saturday was amusing, give that solo person some help on weekends, he was trying his darndest but a 1:50 ratio doesnt cut it for a resort of this nature. Pool towels depleted, chairs depleted, service slow. Again remember you pay for your service upfront.

All in all I think Travassa Austin will get it together eventually but they have some work to do. I would head back again but id give them a year or so to absorb these reoccuring themes that you see in these reviews and remedy those issues. Might be worth you dollar upon that.

On a side note.....plactic water bottles, u have to come up with a solution. Its great that one has access to hydration pretty much anytime anywhere but there is a lot of plastic in use. Maybe consider some form of reusable bottles. Heck tack on $5 to your amenty fee and folks can take home a souvenir.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank trevor m
trevor m,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you enjoyed so many aspects of our property and appreciate your suggestions for improvement. We're always looking for ways to make Travaasa top notch. To that end, you'll be happy to hear that we are undergoing room renovations this summer to include centralized AC and updated bathrooms. We are also adding some new adventures so that more guests can participate in popular events, so keep watching for upcoming announcements.

I do hope that you return again to give us another chance to delight you.

Kristine Huffman, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#18 of 203 in Austin
JW Marriott Austin
JW Marriott Austin
#15 of 203 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!