“Beautiful Place, Terrible Service”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #30 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for our anniversary, thinking it would be fun to do all of the "activities." Nope. Wanted to take part in the equestrian experience. Closed. Slacklining - closed. Not only were thse activities closed, but there was no advance notification. we got up and ready to partake and just waited around but no one ever showed up to lead. when we asked we were finally told they were closed, with no explanation or apology. Wanted to go swimming - pool wasn't heated. Wanted to get in the hot tub- got in at night and didn't realize that there was white powder all over the floor and steps. They had shocked the hot tub and not bothered to notify guests, during the hours it was supposed to be open. The restaurant was not very good and every piece of silverware was dirty. Our shower had mold in it and the room wasn't very clean at all.

I understand that it can't be perfect, but we were so upset with our experience and the attitude of our staff that we left 2 days early because we just wanted out of there.

Honestly, it makes me sad. I will say the place is BEAUTIFUL. In concept and theory it's a great idea, but it just felt like it was run by a bunch of people who didn't care. If you want to be in a beautiful environment but don't care about cleanliness, service, or helpful staff and if you want to pay for amenities you don't get to use...this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank EriRik
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

EriRik,
I appreciate you giving your feedback about your September stay. As you can see from the most recent reviews, most of our guests find the our team to be warm and welcoming, so I am hoping that we've addressed some of the issues you experienced.. I hope that you will return to allow us to give you a fantastic experience and to that end would like to offer you a complementary night stay. Please contact me at kristine.huffman@travaasa.com or call 512-493-3668 so that I can make arrangements.
All the best,

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Beautiful place and great for getting away! Beds are so comfy! Service at restaurant is poor, had to wait for water refills, to ask for check, and they were not busy! However, the service by other personnell was great! Whether it be a maintenance worker or pool server or front desk! Spa is heavenly! Lots of great activities!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mustangsally314

Mustangsally314,
Thanks so much for your review. I am glad that you found the solitude that you were seeking here at Travaasa. I am sorry that you experienced a wait in the dining room and will look into this issue, but am happy to hear that you enjoyed the service given by the rest of the team.
I hope you return to visit us again soon,

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had a great time and this small spa surrounded by hills, trees, and beautiful views. The staff is attentive and friendly. Although a small menu everything on it was incredible. The grounds are small enough to give you your space but not so big that it is overwhelming or takes forever to get from place to place. The activities on the first day left us exhausted so the next day we spent more time by the pool. I think that is the magic of this place. It is can be as busy or as relaxing as you want it to be. With all of the activities you really feel like they want you to stay and experience and are not just looking constantly get you to spend more. The trail ride was incredible. The staff takes advantage of the hills so the ride is anything but flat. Our spa experience was just ok but everyone else we spoke with had a fantastic experience so I believe ours is isolated. Here is my take on it. There is another spa within a few miles of this one that may be a little nicer, a little more upscale, and a little more attentive. However, it is also about 4 to 6 times the price. I can say this was a good value and a great experience.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the canyon views but so many of the rooms have great views. Try an Austin 76 cocktail...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brad F
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Brad F,
Thanks so much for the great review of Travaasa. We are so glad that you enjoyed so many of our activities and could go at your own pace, balancing activity with relaxation. We hope that you return to us again soon to enjoy another Austin 76 cocktail.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

This place was unbelievable. My girlfriends and I had a fantastic time from the understanding staff at the ropes course, to the infinity pool, all the way to drinks in the tiny comfortable bar with Michael(?). We were always taken care of. We even talked to the manager about the bartender taking care of us on the patio for dinner and the manager gladly accommodated. They said that they were full in all the rooms and we felt like we were there by ourselves. Great place to get away for a girls weekend or anything really. Highly recommend this place to anyone

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Learningtolive

Learningtolive,
Thanks so much for your lovely review of Travaasa! I am so glad that the team took such good care of you and your girlfriends while you were here. We hope that you return again soon for another fantastic visit.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I had the best experience during my weekend at Travaasa Austin. The staff were amazing. Everything I asked of them, the answer was always, "Of course. No problem." They went above and beyond to make sure you were happy, relaxed and got everything you wanted. The daily activities were professional, varied and lots of fun. It did yoga, a hike, watercolor, zumba, journaling and crafts, and there were lots more options. The people staying at Travaasa were so nice and laid back too - no fuss kind of place. I loved it so much that I booked my next stay when I checked out.

Room Tip: I think the rooms closest to the pool/spa/restaurant are most convenient.
1  Thank Permanenthoneymoon
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Permanenthoneymoon,
Love your screen name! Thanks so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. We are so happy that you had a great time and that the team achieved their goal of helping you have a great time. I look forward to seeing you here again during your next stay,

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I spent a three day weekend at Travaasa as a gift for Mother's Day weekend with an old friend. I not only enjoyed visiting with my long time friend but felt that I was surrounded by long time friends as I have never been to a resort before (and I am well travelled) where I have received such impeccable service and care. Interestingly not only did not only every member of the staff seem highly invested in making every moment of my stay a perfect moment but there was the general sense at Travassa that the employees took great pride in the fact that they were part of the Travaasa Team. They all seemed very proud and happy to work there and therefore wanted my stay to be the most amazing it could be. They succeeded!!
In terms of the facility itself it was so beautiful and the design concept so original. The resort was situated in rolling hills of trees with not another building off property within sight in any direction so that you felt that you were in the middle of nowhere. The architecture was sleek and tasteful but built in natural or wood colors not to detract from the amazingly gorgeous natural foliage and well kept grounds making me feel like a tree fairy as I walked the paths.
However I moment I entered any of the buildings whether it be the restaurant, the spa or the guest rooms it was pure luxury. They even had blankets in the restaurant to put over your legs if you were chilly. At one point my back was bothering me at dinner and one of the waiters found a pillow to support my back! I felt genuinely cared for. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have been in. All decor was to the utmost taste and beauty. Everything was decorated beautifully but designed with the intention of luxurious comfort.
There were plenty of amazing activities, both creative and athletic and some completely original to the resort to partake in or a beautiful pool to sit by if you just wanted to relax. Travasaasa is a gem of a hotel run by a special group of people. It was a unique experience I hope to return to again in the future. I can't recommend it enough and hope you have the opportunity to experience Travassa yourself.
 Go to http://hidingoutasahousewife.com/overcoming-the-challenge-course-3/ for a great story about adventures to be experienced at Travaasa. AKG

1  Thank AmyKate G

AmyKate G,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. I am glad you had such a great time and really enjoyed meeting you. The team will be very happy to hear that they succeeded in making your mother's day weekend so wonderful and I hope you return again to visit us again soon,
All the best to you and your travels,

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We checked in for a long weekend as a girls getaway and the staff was amazing! The rooms were extremely nice and comfortable!

The food was incredible, healthy, and changed every day! I am Gluten and Dairy free and the staff didn't flinch- they were so accommodating! I showed up for breakfast and the new server knew that I needed almond milk for my coffee from our server last night. That was impressive!

We took full advantage of the classes and they were fun. So many great adventures were available without an additional fee. Wall climbing and the challenge course with the zip line were my favorite. I do wish they offered this more because we signed up early to get in and some of our friends that came later didn't get to participate b/c it was only offered twice a day with very limited spots. (Note: sign up for your classes early- I believe you can sign up for some things before you even check in)

The Spa credits were more than enough to cover the things we wanted and they were great. (I didn't use 100% of the credits and didn't feel like I missed out) I loved that they were purely relaxing and the staff showed you what they used but no pressure to purchase.

My ONLY complaint is that they are a little short staffed. (Maybe b/c it wasn't to full capacity, but they could use some help by the pool for drinks.) Drink service was slow - I mean VERY slow- but couldn't complain b/c the view was great and we just continued to relax.

I would also skip the wine tasting. Wines were okay, and only a taste of 4. (And just a taste, no refills on the ones you liked) They do not have a sommelier. It was just a server with little knowledge outside the script of the wines he provided.

The staff was all very polite and I would highly recommend Travaasa for a couples retreat, girl friend weekend, or a small staff building retreat.

Room Tip: Go for the view. It is a little extra, but our view was over the tree line and gorgeous! If you do...
1  Thank Taryn K

TarynK,
We are honored that you joined us for your girls getaway and are happy that you all had a great time. I am glad you enjoyed so many of our classes, but am disappointed that you were disappointed in the wine tasting class. We have an amazing Sommelier who just happened to be on vacation the weekend you were here, and I guess his replacement needs some more education before we use him to fill in again. I see you're from Chicago, but if you're ever in Austin again, please come out and join a class on us.
All the best to you,