“Truly a Unique and Wonderful Resort!”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #21 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had on my bucket list to visit an experiential "Miraval" type resort and Travassa did not disappoint. This spa and resort is a diamond. The fitness and experiences are professionally run, the staff is warm and welcoming and knowledgable, the chef is amazing. I can't wait to go back. This was a transforming experience for me.

Room Tip: The canyon view is worth whatever it costs extra! I spent hours reading and enjoying the view from m...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Debbie W
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

DebbieTX,
Thanks so much for your wonderful review of Travaasa. I'm so glad that you loved all of our experiences and we think our chef is pretty amazing too! We're hoping to see you back again soon for another transformative experience.

There are newer reviews for Travaasa Austin

Reviewed February 8, 2013

First, I have to preface this review with the fact that when I stayed here I was one of only a handful of people at the property. I actually felt like I had the place to myself at times. It was like being a private guest at a wealthy friends upscale ranch. This place may have nice amenities, but it is not pretentious and that's one thing I liked about it. I was the only diner in the restaurant one evening for dinner and I chatted it up with the chef and other staff who are extremely friendly, but also professional and courteous.

This resort is new (2012?) so everything is up to date and in good shape. They have hammocks hanging around the property, lovely garden plots containing local hardy plants and

Food-I really enjoyed the food not only because they strive to procure from local sources and go organic when possible, but because it was tastefully prepared and presented.

Activities- I took advantage of the ropes course. Once again, the staff was outstanding. Encouraging, stressing safety first, but also very fun. Hiking trails are great. Free bottled water available in the main house.

Spa- This is a review unto itself! Suffice to say that the massage I had was outstanding. The spa and treatment room were very nice, but the therapist was exceptional! I only wish I would have been able to take advantage of the Watsu massage done while floating in a warm pool of water. Ahhhh! Next trip.

Pool/Fitness area - The pool is an infinity edge design that overlooks the Austin hill country and dwindling Lake Austin. The water level is down quite a bit. There are two large portico type structures to sit under if you desire shade. Also food and beverage service available and they will bring your food to you while you relax in the pool on a large swim out shelf. Nice.

The fitness area included a large glassed in separate area for yoga classes, which I thought was especially nice, The same great view of the Texas hill country and the lake.

Accomodations- Two words: Comfortable and clean. The linens were top notch. There were 8 pillows on my bed and I felt like the princess and the pea, or is that Goldilocks? In search of just the right pillow. The bathroom was large with well appointed fixtures and amenities.

I like this place and want to return again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

amortrvl,
I appreciate your thorough review of Travaasa and am so glad that you enjoyed yourself while you were here. From laying around the pool to traversing our ropes course, it sounds like you sampled it all.
We do hope that you return to see us again soon,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I visited Travaasa Austin for a girlfriend weekend getaway for some much needed R&R and catching up. I was so impressed the minute we walked into the lobby and were greeted by the friendly staff. I could tell the entire weekend the entire staff all enjoy their job and truly want to be there to assist you. Not only was the spa amazing but the classes and programming offerred allowed our group to each choose something we wanted to try or needed to do that weekend. The breathe class was such a treat as was the bull riding class. The food (farm to table and organic farm) was all AMAZING! In addition we did the equestrian experience - wow what an exercise to get inside yourself! Highly recommend Travaasa if you are looking for more than just a few spa treatments - it is so much more that a spa, it is a retreat for your entire mind, body and soul. You will leave feeling relaxed and blissful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank KLAMinn
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

KLAMinn,
Thanks so much for the praise! So glad that you and your girlfriends found the variety of classes that allowed you all to do your own thing - together. It sounds like we've achieved our goal of being so much more than a spa. We hope we see you all back again soon,

Reviewed February 3, 2013

the temperatures were at a chilling 5 degrees but very clean air when i checked in. Amy @ the reception was very welcoming and we had a fine dining experience in a group pf 10 persons who checked in for a company function. Overall the site is wonderful for anyone looking for a stay away from the typical hotel setup. Traavasa has a spiritual sactuary feel. A place you go and connect with your spirit or inner person.

Room Tip: The upper rooms in any of the block houses.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Yha C
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Awori Y,
I am so glad that you and your group enjoyed your stay at Travaasa. We do offer a wonderful option for corporate groups seeking a unique setting for a meeting and I'm so glad you found it refreshing. I hope to see you back in America soon,

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I chose Travaasa Austin to be the location for our three day/two night digital detox. We turned off the phones, no laptop, no tv. We took books, spent a lot of time in the spa and just chilled out. We really wanted to like the hotel a lot - and there were things that we did like about it - namely the spa. But when you charge what we paid, you expect a certain level of luxury and service and it wasn't there. We have stayed at similarly priced hotels in the US and abroad and are easily pleased when our expectations are met. However, the price of the rooms at Travaasa far exceeds what you get in return. Maybe it's a different experience in the spring and summer but their prices during the low season should reflect this.

Dinner was excellent but we were one of the only people in the restaurant on a Friday night. My husband and I dressed up a little and there was someone in the restaurant IN THEIR BATHROBE! A few other people looked like they had just come from working out. The breakfast buffet was disappointing. The restaurant wait staff was friendly, sometimes too friendly, and not very polished. We paid for the Total Travaasa so it covered all of our food and we still chose to drive 25 minutes into Austin the second night for dinner. I'm glad we did - we had one of the best meals of our life at Congress.

The rooms were just okay. Pretty basic finish-out. Our room had two queens. There are no rooms with king beds which makes no sense to me! The beds were very comfortable but my husband and I haven't slept in a queen bed in years and hope we don't have to again in the future. The lighting was horrible - especially in the bathroom where it was very dark with a spotlight on your head. Where was the patio furniture that they boast about on the website for us to drink our coffee on our patio? We paid extra for a canyon view and thought this sounded lovely. None of the rooms had outdoor furniture even though the weather would have allowed for us to be outside. Plus, our high priced room had a view of broken down trailer trash (mobile homes, old broken down trucks, random debris) which is hardly anything to pay extra for! Oh and I almost forgot about the rooster that woke my husband up EARLY and he couldn't get back to sleep. Farm animals are charming but not when they act as an alarm clock at a place where you just want to sleep in. Ugh!

When it was all said and done, we expected more for the price and will choose to go somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: We had a canyon view in building 7 on the 3rd floor. Our room had 2 queen beds. We had a lovely vi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Suzanidoo
Travaasa_GM_Austin, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Suzanidoo,
I am sorry to hear that you didn't like your room. We pride ourselves on our comfortable rooms that we feel match the hill country here in Austin- not too fancy. I am glad that you liked our spa and found dinner to be excellent. I do hope that you return. Since you decided not to dine with us your second night, I'd be happy to refund the portion of your package that you didn't use towards dinner. Please contact me at kristine.huffman@travaasa.com, so that I can make this arrangement.
All the best to you in your travels,
Kristine

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Oh Travaasa, how I love you. Even just driving to your beautiful location makes me feel better. But then I dip into your divine swimming pool, get a massage at your top-notch spa, have dinner on your restaurant's expansive patio (with a private concert from the cicadas), then sleep your amazingly comfy beds, and suddenly I'm in heaven. Can I move in, please?

I also happen to know the contractor who did the recent extensive remodel, and I cannot wait to see it! I hear the rooms and grounds are even more beautiful than before, which is hard to imagine. I'm overdue for a stay there so I'll be back soon!

Room Tip: If you plan to have a massage or spa treatment, request one of the rooms closest to the pool and spa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Cari M,
I am thrilled that you feel that we're like paradise, and we'd love to have you move in. Yes our remodel has been wonderful with our native landscaping and beautiful pathway lighting. We can't wait to see you back here with us.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I spent 3 days at Travaasa Austin with my 2 daughters over the holiday season and it was one of the best vacations that we have had. The activities provide something for everyone to enjoy, the food was exceptional and the setting is just beautiful. The all inclusive package is very flexible in terms of meal options ( no restrictions at all) and spa experiences offered. The accomodations are very comfortable and spacious. ALL of the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: an upper level room would provide a beautiful view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank pvrodgers

pvrodgers,
We are so glad that you and your daughters enjoyed a holiday getaway here at Travaasa. It is high praise to hear that we are one of the best vacations that you've ever had. We hope that you return to us again soon.
Kristine Huffman, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
#26 of 201 in Austin
JW Marriott Austin
JW Marriott Austin
#15 of 201 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!