“Great Babymoon Getaway! :)”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #20 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I loved Travaasa Austin! It was a great drive from Houston to Austin and seeing the very nice scenery as we wound our way up to the Welcome Center to check in, gosh, everything was so pretty! We went the weekend after Labor Day so it was not crowded at all, yay! Check in was smooth. Your bags are loaded onto a golf cart and you are driven to your lodging. All cars are left at the parking lot by the Welcome Center. Perfect as there are no car noises at all while you enjoy the peaceful sounds of nature.

Room: Our room had a nice balcony and canyon view. Everything was set up for us before our arrival. Perfect!

Activities: The activities offered are really nice. I am in my third trimester so I had to sit out on alot of the stuff, but my husband enjoyed the outdoors stuff like the Heart Starter HIke, the Challenge Course, and overall walking around the place. I was able to participate in the Watsu demo, culinary demo, archery, and harmonica class, which was plenty for me! Shout out to Laura for the Watsu demo, Josh for the archery, and Michael Rubin for the harmonica lesson! Also, shout out to Chef Ben Baker for an awesome culinary demo!

Food: Now, you do not have to eat all your meals here on site, but I would recommend it. We made the mistake of going to the Oasis on Lake Travis on Friday night for awful food and crazy crowds. We then decided to try out the restaurant on site. Can you say it was the best decision ever for us? We had breakfast Saturday morning and you can taste the freshness of the potatoes and the bread, which I was told was baked on site. Then when my husband and I attended the flavored water demo with Chef Ben Baker and just felt at ease talking to him and getting to know more about him, we knew he was a man who could make memorable meals for everyone to enjoy. I asked him what was for dinner and he told us everything including how things were prepped and cooked and served. Sure enough, when we sat down that night for dinner, we knew everything about all the dishes and knew what we wanted to order. I had the Seafood Medley and my husband had a Filet Louis. Oh my goodness, did we enjoy our food! Chef Ben Baker came out later and talked to us and we could not stop thanking him for giving us a great meal. We learned so much about the food we were eating that I felt that my body was getting a detoxying vacation from the processed foods of our daily lives. Oh, and the sourdough bread is amazing too. It's served with your dinner and is just so fresh and tasty. Comes from a 167 year old sourdough starter from Ben himself.

Oh, for lunch we went swimming so we had the pool service menu. We split a chicken sandwich and it was delicious as well. We asked Ben later that evening what was the spread used on the sandwich and he told us how to make it. Travaasa, you have a great chef!

Pool - The pool is nice, deep end is only 5ft and that is by the infiniti pool drop off. Very relaxing and you do not smell too much chlorine in it. The pool towels are very soft and fluffy and do not smell either. Yay!

Spa - What a treat! I had a prenatal massage by Holly and a facial and foot treatment by Cat Cat the following day. Both pampering days were amazing. Cat Cat gave me a list of products she used and did not pressure me into buying any but I did cause the stuff was just so good and organce! I wish I knew I could not easily order Primavera products or else I would have stocked up! Well, next trip I will :). My husband had a detox massage and he said it was the best massage ever. Thanks April for treating my husband's aches and pains! Kayla was super nice at checking us in and everything. There was a young man who worked at the counter too, but I forgot his name. He was helpful at explaining the services and booking our treatments. Whoever he is, thank you for your patience with my husband as he took forever to decide what to get! :)

Service - Jesse and Rene were great! Everytime we saw them, they went out of their way to help us! Thank you so much gentlemen!

Travaasa, you are a treat and most likely we will recommend and come back. Thank you for giving me such a great "Babymoon" experience. :)

3  Thank Lee P
TravaasaMNGR, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Lee P,
Congratulations! Thanks so much for your wonderful review. We are so glad that you found plenty to do for both you and your husband. We hope to see you back again although we know you’ll have your hands full soon.
Best wishes,
Kristine Huffman

There are newer reviews for Travaasa Austin

Reviewed September 5, 2012

A grown up vacation, spa, relaxation, vacation.....

I'll admit it, up until now, most of my vacations have consisted of vast amounts of alcohol and loud house music, whether it be in Vegas, Mexico, or various other cities worldwide....That's my vacation, and usually my friends idea of unwinding.

I thought it was about time for a grown up vacation, and did some research on spas in Austin, and came upon Travaasa. My co worker and I decided months ago that this was going to be out Second Quarter reward if we got to a certain number. Thankfully we did!

Fast forward to Labor Day weekend, and we spent 3 days at Travassa, driving up early Saturday morning. It is located about 25 minutes outside of Austin, over looking Lake Travis, about 3 miles from the Oasis.

While we drove up the winding path, I was excited to see what this place would look like, but the one thing I noticed right way was that it was QUIET..... Really Quiet.... coming from downtown Houston, at first eerily quiet..... Although I saw cars in the area, I saw no people, I wondered if a cult leader was going to jump our of the bushes, but thankfully that didn't happen either.

We were immediately greeted, and checked in, and shown to our rooms with help with our luggage. The grounds were beautiful scattered with hammocks, and gardens, over looks the breath taking hills of Austin. Fresh air, no horns, and absolute peace and quiet--YES PLEASE!

The rooms were a decent size with the most AHHH MAZING bedding I have ever experienced. Seriously, my friend and I are trying to track down the bedding as we speak, the comforter was delicious, as I never wanted to get out of bed. The balcony overlooked the Austin hill country with two little rockers outside, which I thought was cute. Full cable, flat screen tv, travaasa mint products, and a nice sized shower completed the room.

Travassa is a wellness spa, so there are a ton of activities throughout the day that include juicing classes, yoga, Pilates, bull riding (mechanical) wine tasting, cooking classes, treasure hunts, hikes, and a number of other things such as a kick butt challenge course that includes wire walking, and zip lining.

The wine guy, Edward led us though a wine tasting class, which I thought was outstanding. His passion and knowledge of wine was evident.

We also attempted the challenge course (my friend completed, I chickened out) but for those daredevils, its a fantastic option.

The pool is absolutely gorgeous, and is where I spent a lot of time. It overlooks Lake Travis, and has an infinity type vibe. There is no music, and it definitely gets you into the zen space.

The service was outstanding, everyone was extremely knowledgeable, and very sweet. They actually seemed liked they liked there jobs, and were happy to see us.

We opted for the all inclusive package which included all meals and snacks, just no alcohol. The food was all local, organic for the most part, and grass fed. Everything we had was fantastic, but the desserts really were outstanding.....

The spa was RIDICULOUS--words cannot describe how great this place is. As a part of our package we received a generous spa credit, and decided to go with an aloe and mud wrap, facial, and lavender hand treatment. My skin glowed, and was super soft. The time and skill both of the ladies I had, went beyond anything I had ever experienced. ( I had had my fair share of spa treatments)

On the last day, we enjoyed an hour long hike, which we found the grounds to be scattered with stone mazes (or a burial ground, LOL) as well as little zen statues. Hiking is NOT my thing, but I really enjoyed getting outside, and getting one with nature.

Travaasa has something for everyone, a romantic get away, work events, team building, families, or girlfriend get away. Without a doubt I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are stunning, you get a beautiful views!
1  Thank innerloop
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Innerloop,
You've said it all! Thank you for coming and sharing, this is a great review, thank you. Now I'll be greedy: please bring more of your co-workers!
See you soon,

Reviewed September 4, 2012

A beautiful and relaxing place. We took it all in -- enjoyed a bunch of activities offered (horseback riding, archery, challenge course, yoga, "bull fitness", hiking, wine tasting) and the spa, as well as just walking around. The food was very fresh and tasty and the restaurant setting spectacular; sit outside if it's not too hot! But more than anything, the service was exceptional. Everyone on staff was "in sync" -- helpful, pleasant, and genuine. We'll go back!

Room Tip: A canyon view room is worth the extra $; ask for 3rd (top) story - just stairs, though.

Dear Smallstep_Giant,
Thanks for the great review: looks like you got enjoy many of the activities! I really appreciate the call out for The Team here: they do a wonderful job!
Come see us again soon
Best,
Tim Thuell

Reviewed September 4, 2012

What a great place! My BFF and I stayed for 3 days and 2 nights (will stay longer next time!). The all inclusive package is the way to go as it includes 3 meals and snacks, you just pay for alcohol. I loved the "no tipping" aspect as it was included in our all inclusive package and don't worry, you're not treated by the staff as "I don't have to be pleasant because their not tipping me anyway" attitude. Everyone treats you as a valued guest and are very personable and accommodating. Activities were fun and broadened my outlook (meditation, aqua yoga, bull riding (for the abs!). Definitely sign up for the Watsu massage - unique experience and very relaxing! The infinity pool is georgeous.I'm glad to see a guy review Travassa, because most of the couples I observed looked like the girl was having a great time and the guy looked like he would rather be doing anything other than lounging at Travassa. I would love to keep this place a secret, but its too good to keep it to myself!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Wow, aaaaaahhhhh, WOW. What a marvelous surprise. Where do I begin? Elegant, yet rustic and sophisticated. INCREDIBLE views. I am talking breathtaking views. There is a calm and serenity that permeates this oasis in TEXAS! All the trees breathe calm and peace all around you on this magical property. Do you get what I mean? Lovely trails/walkways between the casitas where the rooms are located with stupendous views of the Hill Country and Lake Travis in the distance. Lush linens, large size well-appointed baths and super wi-fi throughout the property- almost where ever you want to stop and enjoy the views and nature. The staff was also lovely throughout the property and committed to making your stay not only pleasant but an adventure. Some of the must do activities are the Equine Experience- DO IT- even if you are a city slicker like us- and run by Zen-like Rodeo masters (we had Jodie and Betsy)- AMAZING. Couples connection and Life-coaching also fun and run by a wise beyond his young years genuine shaman who is entertaining at the same time (Josh). What might not be obvious from all of this is that the property is large- yet only has about 60 or so rooms- so you are not over crowded- this adds to the luxury. The yoga classes and meditation and breath-work classes were run by an absolute sage/guru named Jennifer- thank you for your wonderful skill and insight. The spa is large as you would expect excellent and has diverse types of treatments in a beautiful setting. My favorite place is a zen-like almost mystical building and garden (Solidago –[Latin meaning to strengthen and make whole] Gardens) that is part Texan Hill Country and medieval gothic yet full of light. Some of the meditation classes were held here, peaceful, centering. Finally, the food- in a word- superb! Interesting menus, quality fresh ingredients, delicious and filling. We will be back soon, already planning a family/friends celebration and perhaps even a conference.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong
2  Thank BusinessPr0fessi0nal
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear BusinessPrOfessiOnal,
WOW back! We get your message, loud and clear: Travaasa is for you, and hopefully most everybody else! Thanks for coming, and also to amazing review.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went to Travaasa not really knowing what to expect. It was so much more lovely than I'd imagined it would be. The grounds in the hills of the lake country above Austin (near Lake Travis) were wonderful--they looked just like the gorgeous Texas Hill Country summer camp in Kerrville where I'd worked as a counselor in college. This is very much like a five-star, exculsive, summer camp for grown ups. There are trails and places to sit quietly and meditate. There is a big exercise/fitness center, horesbackriding, yoga, and other activities. Best of all, there's a glorious spa with a pool that has arresting views. I had the Willie Nelson-inspired "On the Road Again" massage (Rhianna was great--I asked for a real deep-tissue massage). They played soft Willie Nelson ballads and massaged me with hemp oils! Very clever and very nice. Soooo Austin. The pool and hot tub were nice after all that. There's an infinity edge pool on the hillside. You can see for miles--all the way across the (all too low this season!) lake. And the rooms are outstanding. Each has it's own balcony or patio overlooking miles and miles of hill country. Everything in the room was new and very tastefully done. The bathroom was enormous. There was no tub in my room, but the shower had great pressure. There were wine tasing classes while we were there, and mealtimes in the dining area (with its vaulted ceiling) were nice. Sitting outside in the morning to have coffee was lovely, too. The staff was gracious and helpful, and they were quick to stop and ask if I wanted a lift when they'd come by with a golf cart to go from one end of the sprawling property to the next. The GM turned out to be someone I'd met at another five-star resort property a few years back--Travaasa is lucky to have Tim here now. Travaasa is truly a destination experience-driven resort. I made the big mistake of having set up plans in downtown Austin for the first night I was there. The moment I got to the property, I didn't want to leave it for a minute the whole weekend. Go there and plan to leave the world outside the gate. It's so restful and serene. I really can't say enough about how nice it was, and I'm pretty picky.

Room Tip: Any room on a second story is best--great views and nice balconies. I stayed in the ALAMO 2.
1  Thank Janis T
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Janis T,
What fun to 'bump' in to you! Thanks for the fabulous review: coming from you, it is truly high praise! Great to see you again.
Very best,

Reviewed September 1, 2012

You would never know you were about 35 minutes from downtown Austin. This resort/spa is an amazing retreat! They offer free activities (and some you have to pay extra for), but there is LOTS to do! You can go on a hike, you can go to the infinity pool, you can go to the spa, you can go to the restaurant - you can just walk around the property. It's lovely. The staff is exceptional and I think tip is included already in everything, so you don't have to worry about tipping people - servers, massage therapists, busboys - tips are already included. If you are staying overnight, you can have everything charged to your room - the receipts have a line for "tips," BUT they've already included 18% gratuity, so just look out for that. But, all in all, this place is TOP NOTCH and I would love to go back - it's just a little too expensive to go often. Plus, there's only one restaurant on property, so bring some snacks with you. One guy I talked to said that he stops on Whole Foods on his way to the resort and grabs a salad which he eats for dinner. Good idea!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the hills!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Maureen26,
Thanks for coming to Travaasa,and for writing about us! I am glad to hear you enjoyed what you found here. We all look forward to welcoming you back.
Tim Thuell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Lakeway Resort and Spa
#26 of 202 in Austin
JW Marriott Austin
JW Marriott Austin
#14 of 202 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!