“Absolutely Amazing! The ultimate in relaxation, spa treatements in the beautiful Austin hill country!”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #23 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 5, 2012

A grown up vacation, spa, relaxation, vacation.....

I'll admit it, up until now, most of my vacations have consisted of vast amounts of alcohol and loud house music, whether it be in Vegas, Mexico, or various other cities worldwide....That's my vacation, and usually my friends idea of unwinding.

I thought it was about time for a grown up vacation, and did some research on spas in Austin, and came upon Travaasa. My co worker and I decided months ago that this was going to be out Second Quarter reward if we got to a certain number. Thankfully we did!

Fast forward to Labor Day weekend, and we spent 3 days at Travassa, driving up early Saturday morning. It is located about 25 minutes outside of Austin, over looking Lake Travis, about 3 miles from the Oasis.

While we drove up the winding path, I was excited to see what this place would look like, but the one thing I noticed right way was that it was QUIET..... Really Quiet.... coming from downtown Houston, at first eerily quiet..... Although I saw cars in the area, I saw no people, I wondered if a cult leader was going to jump our of the bushes, but thankfully that didn't happen either.

We were immediately greeted, and checked in, and shown to our rooms with help with our luggage. The grounds were beautiful scattered with hammocks, and gardens, over looks the breath taking hills of Austin. Fresh air, no horns, and absolute peace and quiet--YES PLEASE!

The rooms were a decent size with the most AHHH MAZING bedding I have ever experienced. Seriously, my friend and I are trying to track down the bedding as we speak, the comforter was delicious, as I never wanted to get out of bed. The balcony overlooked the Austin hill country with two little rockers outside, which I thought was cute. Full cable, flat screen tv, travaasa mint products, and a nice sized shower completed the room.

Travassa is a wellness spa, so there are a ton of activities throughout the day that include juicing classes, yoga, Pilates, bull riding (mechanical) wine tasting, cooking classes, treasure hunts, hikes, and a number of other things such as a kick butt challenge course that includes wire walking, and zip lining.

The wine guy, Edward led us though a wine tasting class, which I thought was outstanding. His passion and knowledge of wine was evident.

We also attempted the challenge course (my friend completed, I chickened out) but for those daredevils, its a fantastic option.

The pool is absolutely gorgeous, and is where I spent a lot of time. It overlooks Lake Travis, and has an infinity type vibe. There is no music, and it definitely gets you into the zen space.

The service was outstanding, everyone was extremely knowledgeable, and very sweet. They actually seemed liked they liked there jobs, and were happy to see us.

We opted for the all inclusive package which included all meals and snacks, just no alcohol. The food was all local, organic for the most part, and grass fed. Everything we had was fantastic, but the desserts really were outstanding.....

The spa was RIDICULOUS--words cannot describe how great this place is. As a part of our package we received a generous spa credit, and decided to go with an aloe and mud wrap, facial, and lavender hand treatment. My skin glowed, and was super soft. The time and skill both of the ladies I had, went beyond anything I had ever experienced. ( I had had my fair share of spa treatments)

On the last day, we enjoyed an hour long hike, which we found the grounds to be scattered with stone mazes (or a burial ground, LOL) as well as little zen statues. Hiking is NOT my thing, but I really enjoyed getting outside, and getting one with nature.

Travaasa has something for everyone, a romantic get away, work events, team building, families, or girlfriend get away. Without a doubt I would highly recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are stunning, you get a beautiful views!
1  Thank innerloop
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Innerloop,
You've said it all! Thank you for coming and sharing, this is a great review, thank you. Now I'll be greedy: please bring more of your co-workers!
See you soon,

Reviewed September 4, 2012

A beautiful and relaxing place. We took it all in -- enjoyed a bunch of activities offered (horseback riding, archery, challenge course, yoga, "bull fitness", hiking, wine tasting) and the spa, as well as just walking around. The food was very fresh and tasty and the restaurant setting spectacular; sit outside if it's not too hot! But more than anything, the service was exceptional. Everyone on staff was "in sync" -- helpful, pleasant, and genuine. We'll go back!

Room Tip: A canyon view room is worth the extra $; ask for 3rd (top) story - just stairs, though.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Smallstep_Giant,
Thanks for the great review: looks like you got enjoy many of the activities! I really appreciate the call out for The Team here: they do a wonderful job!
Come see us again soon
Best,

Reviewed September 4, 2012

What a great place! My BFF and I stayed for 3 days and 2 nights (will stay longer next time!). The all inclusive package is the way to go as it includes 3 meals and snacks, you just pay for alcohol. I loved the "no tipping" aspect as it was included in our all inclusive package and don't worry, you're not treated by the staff as "I don't have to be pleasant because their not tipping me anyway" attitude. Everyone treats you as a valued guest and are very personable and accommodating. Activities were fun and broadened my outlook (meditation, aqua yoga, bull riding (for the abs!). Definitely sign up for the Watsu massage - unique experience and very relaxing! The infinity pool is georgeous.I'm glad to see a guy review Travassa, because most of the couples I observed looked like the girl was having a great time and the guy looked like he would rather be doing anything other than lounging at Travassa. I would love to keep this place a secret, but its too good to keep it to myself!

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Wow, aaaaaahhhhh, WOW. What a marvelous surprise. Where do I begin? Elegant, yet rustic and sophisticated. INCREDIBLE views. I am talking breathtaking views. There is a calm and serenity that permeates this oasis in TEXAS! All the trees breathe calm and peace all around you on this magical property. Do you get what I mean? Lovely trails/walkways between the casitas where the rooms are located with stupendous views of the Hill Country and Lake Travis in the distance. Lush linens, large size well-appointed baths and super wi-fi throughout the property- almost where ever you want to stop and enjoy the views and nature. The staff was also lovely throughout the property and committed to making your stay not only pleasant but an adventure. Some of the must do activities are the Equine Experience- DO IT- even if you are a city slicker like us- and run by Zen-like Rodeo masters (we had Jodie and Betsy)- AMAZING. Couples connection and Life-coaching also fun and run by a wise beyond his young years genuine shaman who is entertaining at the same time (Josh). What might not be obvious from all of this is that the property is large- yet only has about 60 or so rooms- so you are not over crowded- this adds to the luxury. The yoga classes and meditation and breath-work classes were run by an absolute sage/guru named Jennifer- thank you for your wonderful skill and insight. The spa is large as you would expect excellent and has diverse types of treatments in a beautiful setting. My favorite place is a zen-like almost mystical building and garden (Solidago –[Latin meaning to strengthen and make whole] Gardens) that is part Texan Hill Country and medieval gothic yet full of light. Some of the meditation classes were held here, peaceful, centering. Finally, the food- in a word- superb! Interesting menus, quality fresh ingredients, delicious and filling. We will be back soon, already planning a family/friends celebration and perhaps even a conference.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BusinessPr0fessi0nal
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear BusinessPrOfessiOnal,
WOW back! We get your message, loud and clear: Travaasa is for you, and hopefully most everybody else! Thanks for coming, and also to amazing review.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I went to Travaasa not really knowing what to expect. It was so much more lovely than I'd imagined it would be. The grounds in the hills of the lake country above Austin (near Lake Travis) were wonderful--they looked just like the gorgeous Texas Hill Country summer camp in Kerrville where I'd worked as a counselor in college. This is very much like a five-star, exculsive, summer camp for grown ups. There are trails and places to sit quietly and meditate. There is a big exercise/fitness center, horesbackriding, yoga, and other activities. Best of all, there's a glorious spa with a pool that has arresting views. I had the Willie Nelson-inspired "On the Road Again" massage (Rhianna was great--I asked for a real deep-tissue massage). They played soft Willie Nelson ballads and massaged me with hemp oils! Very clever and very nice. Soooo Austin. The pool and hot tub were nice after all that. There's an infinity edge pool on the hillside. You can see for miles--all the way across the (all too low this season!) lake. And the rooms are outstanding. Each has it's own balcony or patio overlooking miles and miles of hill country. Everything in the room was new and very tastefully done. The bathroom was enormous. There was no tub in my room, but the shower had great pressure. There were wine tasing classes while we were there, and mealtimes in the dining area (with its vaulted ceiling) were nice. Sitting outside in the morning to have coffee was lovely, too. The staff was gracious and helpful, and they were quick to stop and ask if I wanted a lift when they'd come by with a golf cart to go from one end of the sprawling property to the next. The GM turned out to be someone I'd met at another five-star resort property a few years back--Travaasa is lucky to have Tim here now. Travaasa is truly a destination experience-driven resort. I made the big mistake of having set up plans in downtown Austin for the first night I was there. The moment I got to the property, I didn't want to leave it for a minute the whole weekend. Go there and plan to leave the world outside the gate. It's so restful and serene. I really can't say enough about how nice it was, and I'm pretty picky.

Room Tip: Any room on a second story is best--great views and nice balconies. I stayed in the ALAMO 2.
1  Thank Janis T
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Janis T,
What fun to 'bump' in to you! Thanks for the fabulous review: coming from you, it is truly high praise! Great to see you again.
Very best,

Reviewed September 1, 2012

You would never know you were about 35 minutes from downtown Austin. This resort/spa is an amazing retreat! They offer free activities (and some you have to pay extra for), but there is LOTS to do! You can go on a hike, you can go to the infinity pool, you can go to the spa, you can go to the restaurant - you can just walk around the property. It's lovely. The staff is exceptional and I think tip is included already in everything, so you don't have to worry about tipping people - servers, massage therapists, busboys - tips are already included. If you are staying overnight, you can have everything charged to your room - the receipts have a line for "tips," BUT they've already included 18% gratuity, so just look out for that. But, all in all, this place is TOP NOTCH and I would love to go back - it's just a little too expensive to go often. Plus, there's only one restaurant on property, so bring some snacks with you. One guy I talked to said that he stops on Whole Foods on his way to the resort and grabs a salad which he eats for dinner. Good idea!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the hills!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Maureen26,
Thanks for coming to Travaasa,and for writing about us! I am glad to hear you enjoyed what you found here. We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I just spent Sunday-Tuesday here and really enjoyed it. The grounds are relaxing, the beds comfortable and the massages wonderful. I took 2 yoga classes from Jennifer and really loved the classes and the room where they were held. My fave was sitting by the pool under umbrella and reading. Enjoying the peace and quiet, cold drink and cool pool water! Thanks Travaasa for a wonderful relaxing time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Tim A,
Sounds like you found you spot at the pool! Thank you for the great review: and for coming to Travaasa!
Tim Thuell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
#20 of 201 in Austin
South Congress Hotel
South Congress Hotel
#17 of 201 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!