“Relaxing great value”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Antonio, Texas
“Relaxing great value”
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Once you arrive no pressure or stress to do anything. There are lots of things available but don't forget to sign up daily if there is something you want to do. Activities fill up although they do their best to accommodate. Service and attitude great. Food excellent but unusual may not suit some but everything we tried was excellent including antelope duck and polenta French toast. Will be back it was like a cruise on land. We brought our own wine which helped with alcohol bill. Hot in summer it's Texas

• Stayed August 2012
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Dear Allen b,
Thank you for the great review: we all really appreciate your comments.We hope that you will come back many more times!
Best,
Tim Thuell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I bought the day pass and treated myself to a birthday spa day. I started out with an hour-long hike through their hill country property. It was beautiful! I enjoyed lunch by the pool and a dip in the hot tub before my deep tissue massage. Amalia was fantastic. She's so tiny but so strong! Afterward, I swam some laps in the pool. Everything about this place is wonderful! I will definitely go back and want to stay overnight or for a weekend next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Minplano,
Thank you for coming for the day! I am so glad you got to enjoy as much as you did. Amalie and her team mates will be delighted, as will I, when you return!
San Antonio
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Ok, If your a guy, you might feel a bit odd going to a spa. I have been to many all over the world, but this place is different. The location is absolutely beautiful. It sits atop a huge Texas Hill/ mountain. No one can get inside property unless your staying or are receiving spa services. It's swimming pool sits at the highest level and overlooks Lake Austin. Because of the drought, it is a bit farther to the waters edge than it used to be. The place is silent except for nature.
If you do nothing but receive a spa service, and lounge by the pool all day, you are going to love life. The changing facilities for men are top of the line. The robes that are provided indicate that they are made for men. There is nothing to show that men are treated different than women. Women, if you have not been here, do not freak out and think that the place is crawling with men. I saw five men at the spa the entire day. All were with their wives. All spa services that I received were performed by high quality professionals.
My wife and I walked on their nature walk course and enjoyed the local outdoor beauty. (take water it can be long and hot) I think you will enjoy it as much as we did.
All i can say is enjoy and relax.. you can not help but enjoy the place.
Words of wisdom. The spa services are priced similar to many nice hotels. However, make sure you educate yourself on the facility usage fee. If you just go to the spa and do not use any of the facilities, there is one price, if you care to enjoy the day, ask them to explain their rates. There are 1/2 day prices with al a carte services and full day prices. Also, if you partake in any of the classes or seminars, they do charge for them unless your signed up for their all inclusive day. Don't be intimidated as I was, just go with your wife and enjoy. You will come back and give me a trip big TripAdvisor thumbs up later.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, July 28, 2012
Dear Playnsa,
I really appreciate that call out for men: thank you. I believe you've caught the sentiment just right! We overlook Lake Travis, which is looking better/fuller all the time! Come enjoy, relax and revel in the experience. I hope you return soon.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Disclaimer: We travel quite a bit and work in the service industry so we may have higher expectations then others.

The Good: Beautiful Property and the grounds were very well kept. Very quiet and peaceful retreat type of environment. Staff was nice and helpful. On the day of checkout they didn't need the room right away so they gave us a late checkout so we could actually do a few activities and leave our stuff in our room. The meals were all really good!

The Bad: The climate in our room was very hard to control. The AC was a window unit and it was either too hot or too cold most of the time. There were a couple of stains on the covers of the bed as well as on the shades to the windows. The maid did not replenish some of the items in the bathroom. The equine experience was great and the people there were wonderful and very knowledgeable. To not include an actual ride seems very silly. Charging an additional $50/person for the ride is just "sticking" it to the guests. The challenge course was a little disappointing as well. Climbing a cargo net, walking across a few platforms/lines before zipping down a line doesn't really feel like a challenge course. It took longer to get suited up than it did to complete the course. The beer and wine tasting were $40 and $50 respectively. We tasted 4 beers and 4 wines. Didn't really learn anything.

Wrap Up: We really like Travaasa and would recommend it to others. In my opinion, they are still testing things and trying to figure out what works. I think they have a lot of potential but for what they are charging they really need to fine tune the activities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank atx518
Dear DonnyP,
Thank you very much for your review. You raise some valid points, which I will address with my team here. I hope that you will visit us again very soon, and thanks for coming!
Best,
Richmond, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2012

My daughter and I just returned from 2 nights at Travaasa, and loved every minute of it. We only wish we could have stayed a couple more nights. The resort has done a wonderful job of incorporating the buildings into the truly gorgeous natural habitat. Everywhere we turned, we saw so many visually stunning details to marvel over. We enjoyed our morning coffee on the breezy, tree top balcony, while watching the sun rise over the canyon. We repeated the experience at sunset with a glass of wine, before wandering down to the restaurant to enjoy a candelight dinner on the tree-lined patio at the excellent on-site restaurant. The chef uses locally farmed and harvested, organic produce and meats, so the menu changes frequently. All of our meals were excellent. The green beans I had for dinner tasted as though they had just been picked from the garden! The waitstaff was excellent and friendly, and even remembered us by name from one day to the next. This resort is unpretentious and casually elegant. It doesn't put on airs. It's a place to pack light and just be yourself. I was totally comfortable sans makeup, wearing shorts and sandals throughout our visit. The beds were incredibly comfortable, with natural cotton sheets, and sumptuous comforters and pillows. The rooms were quiet and peaceful. We booked a spa facial and foot scrub, and the services were top notch. We enjoyed the heart-starter morning hike through the hills and cedar forests, the yoga classes, and relaxing by the beautiful infinity pool. The guided trail ride with Jody was a highlight of our trip, and we only wished we could have stayed long enough to book the equine experience. That will be a priority the time we visit. Although we had considered driving into Austin for an afternoon visit, we could not bear to tear ourselves away from the resort for even a couple of hours. We left feeling totally relaxed and refreshed. We can't wait to return!
With regard to the comments about difficulty locating the resort- I had requested directions using mapquest, and was left short by several miles. Luckily my daughter's iphone GPS led us directly to the resort. Don't depend on mapquest to find your way. Also, unless you've visited before, I would recommend arriving before dark, as the road in is dark, steep, and twisty, and the entrance may be difficult to spot.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mjd321
Tim T, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear mjd321,
Thank you very much for the full and very complimentary review! The fact that you are contemplating a return, says it all for us! I think you 'hit the mail on the head' in your review, and I really appreciate it. Thank you.
Very best,
Austin, TX
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Recently I booked spa services for 3 of us, (my grown daughter, her mother-in-law, and myself). The spa services were very good although albeit pricey. The food quality was so mediocre that I would consider going to another spa just because of it. All 3 of us agreed about that. What was really annoying was to be told that we would only be allowed to stay for 2 hours on either side of our treatments and then to be told with a really phony smile to "enjoy and relax". Does this really make for a return customer? Perhaps Travaasa does not want customers to come for the day as they make more money on lodging. The place seemed pretty empty when we were there but nevertheless, we did not feel that welcome. Also, I did not appreciate being bullied to give the gratuity before I received the spa treatment. I prefer to give gratuity directly to the massage therapist. I was told I could not do this. Not wanting to have a conflict right up front, I went along with it but did not like the pushiness.I liked the place when it was The Crossings before Travaasa took over. Just not the same genuine experience anymore.Out of town guests are "captive" there as it is not convenient to Austin so keep in mind that it is a resort experience and you will be stuck with what they provide.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Onion-free
Dear Onion-free,
I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, or possibly recollections?. I think I could resolve and/or address some underlying issues with you in person, or by phone; but this is not the forum for that. Please do call me, as I would like you to continue coming to Travaasa, and enjoy it as much as most others do: and you have in the past.
Thank you for your time.
Regards,
tim.thuell@travaasa.com
512 493 3668
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I can't rate Travasaa high enough. I went on a trip with my friend and we both loved every moment of our trip. The staff and service is EXCELLENT. The grounds are GORGEOUS. The food is really top notch. The spa treatments were heavenly. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: One tip - make sure to request a room by the spa and pool if possible! Second tip - bring your own...