“An Amazing Birthday Vacation”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #14 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“An Amazing Birthday Vacation”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My mom and sister surprised me with a birthday getaway to Travaasa Austin. It was amazing and we had such a wonderful time there celebrating! We did the Total Travaasa package which included all the food. The food was wonderful - a bit out of our comfort zone, but never dissapointed us. We did several classes and had 80 minute massages and facials. The staff at the spa was just wonderful - Tracy did both mine and my mom's facial and was amazing! Also, the equine experience was just wonderful..nothing I would have expected. Betsy was so patient and informative ~ a great addition to Travaasa. We would have loved to do the ropes course, however, the class was full so we didn't get to experience it. The pool is very nice with exceptional scenery. Definitely will recommend this wonderful oasis. Thanks!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Tiffany O,
Thank you for the great review: when are you coming back to enjoy the Challenge Course?
Tim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I planned a girl’s long weekend with 5 friends who flew in from around the country. We had a terrific time, but there were some serious hiccups along the way that marred the experience. I made our reservation several months in advance, and was told that Travaasa would charge one night for each of the 3 rooms I booked at the time of booking. When I checked my credit card a few weeks later, I found that they charged me for the total experience, instead of the just the lodging and classes I had booked...which was three times the amount they were supposed to charge me. Once I called, they apologized and refunded the overcharge to my card. I told the representative that this error made me nervous, since sight unseen I had convinced my friends to fly to Texas for this trip, and I didn't want things to go wrong. I was assured this was an isolated incident, and they would work to make sure everything would be wonderful.

When we arrived the resort was very attractive, and the pool was lovely. Our rooms were not in the building I had reserved because we were told it was being remodeled. It would have been nice to have been contacted about this. There was a big variance in the size of the rooms, despite all being the same price, and some people were not happy to have such a small space.

We enjoyed the setting, the classes, the pool, and spa. The spa treatments were outstanding and facilities were lovely. The food and service were above average at the restaurant, but the hours were very limited and even the bar closed by 9:00 or 10:00 pm. Because the resort is so far out and roads are windy and dark, it's not optimal to go to an outside restaurant or bar late at night. The housekeeping service was spotty. Twice rooms were not cleaned, and we had to request for housekeeping to come. They left cookies in one room but not in the other two on one occasion, and on two other occasions they left one cookie in rooms with two guests...were we supposed to share the cookie? The topper was our last evening, when the single cookie left in our room appeared to have a bite taken out of it. We thought it was so ridiculous that we took a picture of the half-eaten cookie wrapped in a pretty bag with ribbon.

The real problem started our last evening, when we tried to do an early checkout, since several members of our party had crack of dawn flights and we were leaving very early the next morning. To call the night front desk staff incompetent would be an vast understatement. All six bills were incorrect, and they didn’t seem to be able fix them, even after 45 minutes of explaining. They asked that we come back in the morning, when the day staff was there. So we woke up extra early to try and fix the errors, but they still couldn’t figure out the problems. We had to leave to make flights, but we were assured that the accounting staff that came in at 9:00 am would be able to rectify all the issues and they promised to email us the corrected bills. Only one person received a bill. Two others had their credit cards charged the wrong amount. It took several phone calls and emails over a couple week period to get it all straightened out. Three of the emails I sent to Travaasa staff went unanswered. I was really embarrassed that the trip I planned had these kinks my friends had to suffer through.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank Judi F
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Judy F,
Thank you for your review: I do apologize for the great inconvenience we caused: this certainly is not our normal standard. We have already instituted an advance copy of guest folios to be distributed the night before departure, to reduce delays and check out. I appreciate the feedback, and will use it to further improve our service. Thank you for visiting.
Tim Thuell
Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I was there in April 2012 at an award winner retreat for being a top distributor for the company I distribute for. Beautiful property, great food and good service, but when I left I had left some brand new cloths in my room in a drawer. I had three days of meeting in downtown Austin and had realized I had left things in my room within 1 1/2 hours of leaving Travaasa. I called the resort immediately and explained I was 35 minutes away and asked if someone could drop off my clothes at the downtown hotel I was staying at and I would pay them for that. The person I was speaking to thought it would be better if they just sent the clothes to my home address. I agreed. The person said all the maids were busy and there was no one to check my room for my things. They took my phone number and never called me back or sent my clothes. I called back about a month later and they said they had no record of my first call, but would look into it. Again my number was left and no one every got back to me. Every time I look for my new shirts, socks and underwear and realize it was left there it pisses me off and ruins what would have been and exceptional time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank John G
Dear John G
I do apologize for our dropping the ball here. Please call or email me, so I may address the situation.
Tim Thuell
512 493 3668
tim.thuell@travaasa.com
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I decided at the last minute to escape the chores and drive down the road to Travaasa.
Superb customer service. HUGE tip- if you can, get there 9 am or after the day of your check in, even if the room is not ready, you can use the facilities. Our room was ready early, which was even better! (You can also stay past check out until 5PM on departure day!)
ROOMS: we were in Casita 7203- I am unsure if it was a Queen bed as we requested. I really don't mind if room is huge, but the room is a bit tight even for just a couple. That aside, having a balcony is great and the attention to detail did not go unnoticed. There were wine glasses in the room, two tiny pecan pie tarts, GOOD coffee for the morning, plenty of towels (AC a bit loud and either cold or warm, no vent in bathroom)
The good part of that location was close to the spa and gorgeous pool. It is hard to go to activities (many included in overnight rate like archery, conditioning and yoga) when lounging by the pool is SO gorgeous and relaxing. Pool side service is available, friendly, but slow.
Snacks: the crudite with hummus etc was great...yet the one with dried fruit and nuts for 12$ and barely ANY nuts--was significantly overpriced.
Food: SUPERB, great service, good cocktails** I think they should open up this restaurant to the public, if not all week- Monday - Thursday--it would help market it for locals to come back and stay over!
Activities: very friendly staff, free bottled or cucumber/fruit infused water is everywhere.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND bull riding- how fun is THAT!? Mechanical Bull, no stirrups- 'nuf said.
very knowledgeable instructor...Jillian? Archery...Jeff--fun, laid back and knowledgeable as well. Tricia did a salt tasting, very fun- yet, as I am a Registered Dietitian ...I think she veered a little too far into unknown health advice territory at times. I agree though, some salt is ok, most people just get too much salt from the processed foods in their diets.
Grounds: just awesome, I kind of compare it to a laid back Lake Austin Spa and Resort...same feel, but slightly more relaxed (and you can have a cocktail!) The gardens were just beautiful, infinity edge pool really nice, trails well shaded and fun (wish there were more trails).
Spa: I had a stone massage, with Janis? she was awesome and I will go back to the spa for sure, even if i can't spend the night.

I can't say enough about the friendly waiters, staff, etc--Great Job Travaasa- customer service is what will bring me back and had me write this rec--I'll spread the word to fellow Austinites!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TEMAustin
, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear TEMAustin,
Sorry, must have had a 'lapse' when it was pointed out that I hadn't replied: sorry! All the beds are Queens. AC's we are working on. Thanks for the huge shout-out!
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My mom, 2 sisters and I just got back from an amazing weekend at Travaasa. From the moment we walked in the door we knew we had arrived at a special place. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay extraordinary!

There are not enough superlatives to describe our experience. But I'll try... the spa is divine! Best facial I've ever had in my life. The location is picture perfect, nestled in the Texas hill country with a view of Lake Travis. I loved the relaxed, elegant and unpretentious nature of the place and cant' wait to get back there!

Thank you, Travaasa Austin! You rock!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear JennMeyer,
Wow! Thank you for the wonderful review. I do hope we can have you back soon?
Best,
Austin
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I spent the day at Travaasa with my sisters and mother for a delayed mother's day treat. The service and facilities were amazing! Best massage ever by Alex Coletta. Ivonete transformed the way we look at exercise and my abs are so sore today (in a good way). A great time was had by all!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Austin MZS,
I must be slacking: sorry I didn't acknowledge and thank you for your great review! Thank you!
Best
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The 1 year old Travaasa fits in perfectly with the rugged Texas hill country surrondings. From the moment you enter the security gate and climb the winding drive you feel relaxed. The front desk was very helpful at check in with a property map that they discussed with you and a list of classes , most included in your room rate.

Our canyon view second story room was a perfect cottage with views of only trees. As we entered the room we noticed the huge walk in shower in the bathroom, the Large closet and entry way, and a very comfortable bed. Not luxurious but very inviting. The balcony had 2 chairs and a great view.

The infinity pool and hot tub overlook the canyons and Lake travis. we had drinks by the pool, good margartitas made with a local Texas tequila. The waiter even went to the restaurant to get us the dinner menu. Great service.

The classes are great including yoga, serious hikes.
I would reccomend it for a couple or a girls trip.

Room Tip: ask for a canyon view room