“This would have been a five star review except of the very bad taste I am left with.”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #22 of 201 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I was there in April 2012 at an award winner retreat for being a top distributor for the company I distribute for. Beautiful property, great food and good service, but when I left I had left some brand new cloths in my room in a drawer. I had three days of meeting in downtown Austin and had realized I had left things in my room within 1 1/2 hours of leaving Travaasa. I called the resort immediately and explained I was 35 minutes away and asked if someone could drop off my clothes at the downtown hotel I was staying at and I would pay them for that. The person I was speaking to thought it would be better if they just sent the clothes to my home address. I agreed. The person said all the maids were busy and there was no one to check my room for my things. They took my phone number and never called me back or sent my clothes. I called back about a month later and they said they had no record of my first call, but would look into it. Again my number was left and no one every got back to me. Every time I look for my new shirts, socks and underwear and realize it was left there it pisses me off and ruins what would have been and exceptional time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
9  Thank John G
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear John G
I do apologize for our dropping the ball here. Please call or email me, so I may address the situation.
Tim Thuell
512 493 3668
tim.thuell@travaasa.com

Reviewed June 8, 2012

My husband and I decided at the last minute to escape the chores and drive down the road to Travaasa.
Superb customer service. HUGE tip- if you can, get there 9 am or after the day of your check in, even if the room is not ready, you can use the facilities. Our room was ready early, which was even better! (You can also stay past check out until 5PM on departure day!)
ROOMS: we were in Casita 7203- I am unsure if it was a Queen bed as we requested. I really don't mind if room is huge, but the room is a bit tight even for just a couple. That aside, having a balcony is great and the attention to detail did not go unnoticed. There were wine glasses in the room, two tiny pecan pie tarts, GOOD coffee for the morning, plenty of towels (AC a bit loud and either cold or warm, no vent in bathroom)
The good part of that location was close to the spa and gorgeous pool. It is hard to go to activities (many included in overnight rate like archery, conditioning and yoga) when lounging by the pool is SO gorgeous and relaxing. Pool side service is available, friendly, but slow.
Snacks: the crudite with hummus etc was great...yet the one with dried fruit and nuts for 12$ and barely ANY nuts--was significantly overpriced.
Food: SUPERB, great service, good cocktails** I think they should open up this restaurant to the public, if not all week- Monday - Thursday--it would help market it for locals to come back and stay over!
Activities: very friendly staff, free bottled or cucumber/fruit infused water is everywhere.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND bull riding- how fun is THAT!? Mechanical Bull, no stirrups- 'nuf said.
very knowledgeable instructor...Jillian? Archery...Jeff--fun, laid back and knowledgeable as well. Tricia did a salt tasting, very fun- yet, as I am a Registered Dietitian ...I think she veered a little too far into unknown health advice territory at times. I agree though, some salt is ok, most people just get too much salt from the processed foods in their diets.
Grounds: just awesome, I kind of compare it to a laid back Lake Austin Spa and Resort...same feel, but slightly more relaxed (and you can have a cocktail!) The gardens were just beautiful, infinity edge pool really nice, trails well shaded and fun (wish there were more trails).
Spa: I had a stone massage, with Janis? she was awesome and I will go back to the spa for sure, even if i can't spend the night.

I can't say enough about the friendly waiters, staff, etc--Great Job Travaasa- customer service is what will bring me back and had me write this rec--I'll spread the word to fellow Austinites!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TEMAustin
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear TEMAustin,
Sorry, must have had a 'lapse' when it was pointed out that I hadn't replied: sorry! All the beds are Queens. AC's we are working on. Thanks for the huge shout-out!

Reviewed June 6, 2012

My mom, 2 sisters and I just got back from an amazing weekend at Travaasa. From the moment we walked in the door we knew we had arrived at a special place. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay extraordinary!

There are not enough superlatives to describe our experience. But I'll try... the spa is divine! Best facial I've ever had in my life. The location is picture perfect, nestled in the Texas hill country with a view of Lake Travis. I loved the relaxed, elegant and unpretentious nature of the place and cant' wait to get back there!

Thank you, Travaasa Austin! You rock!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear JennMeyer,
Wow! Thank you for the wonderful review. I do hope we can have you back soon?
Best,

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I spent the day at Travaasa with my sisters and mother for a delayed mother's day treat. The service and facilities were amazing! Best massage ever by Alex Coletta. Ivonete transformed the way we look at exercise and my abs are so sore today (in a good way). A great time was had by all!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Austin MZS,
I must be slacking: sorry I didn't acknowledge and thank you for your great review! Thank you!
Best

Reviewed June 4, 2012

The 1 year old Travaasa fits in perfectly with the rugged Texas hill country surrondings. From the moment you enter the security gate and climb the winding drive you feel relaxed. The front desk was very helpful at check in with a property map that they discussed with you and a list of classes , most included in your room rate.

Our canyon view second story room was a perfect cottage with views of only trees. As we entered the room we noticed the huge walk in shower in the bathroom, the Large closet and entry way, and a very comfortable bed. Not luxurious but very inviting. The balcony had 2 chairs and a great view.

The infinity pool and hot tub overlook the canyons and Lake travis. we had drinks by the pool, good margartitas made with a local Texas tequila. The waiter even went to the restaurant to get us the dinner menu. Great service.

The classes are great including yoga, serious hikes.
I would reccomend it for a couple or a girls trip.

Room Tip: ask for a canyon view room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Dear Notula
That was the nicest 1 year birthday gift, thank you! I hope everyone who reads it, now wants to come and share!

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Great customer service! I have told so many of my friends about my relaxing time atTravaasa. Best experience at a resort and spa. I will be going back!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Jcgwaxler
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Jcgwaxler,
Can't wait for all your friends to bring you back! Love the short, and too the point review. Thank you!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I was able to stay at this delightful property in April for a 3 day conference. I loved it! I loved the fact that it is off the beaten path. I parked my car and hadn't a care to leave the grounds. The setting within protected government lands adds great privacy and appeal. The meals were a delight, the patio was devine, the drinks were delicious. The infinity pool and spa were a great escape. The room was simple yet with high quality linens and toiletries and plenty of room. Everything was very clean....and I am picky. The natural setting was very appealing. If you don't like a natural setting this is not for you. If you do, you will enjoy it immensely. I loved the feel of the entire compound: retreat/spa/campus/resort. For the purposes of trainings or a weekend escape I would love to return. I recommend to couples, small groups with a purpose, or solo. It is not a destination but certainly an escape.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SP243

Dear Sandra P,
We like being called an 'escape': thank you! I hope this will encourage others to come as small groups too. Thank you for coming, and the great review!
Tim Thuell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Hotel Granduca Austin
Hotel Ella
#42 of 201 in Austin
Archer Hotel Austin
#2 of 201 in Austin

Been to Travaasa Austin? Share your experiences!