“Beautiful and relaxing, would recommend”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #29 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Set in the Texas hill country, the views are spectacular. We were only able to stay two nights and may I say that we were sad to leave. The spa is fantastic and the staff were well trained. Everyone was very pleasant. A huge surprise was how fabulous the food was so we considered that a bonus. The room was clean as was every area of the resort. The staff was very helpful with booking our treatments and classes, all you have to do is call them and they will take care of everything! A nice feeling.

Room Tip: We loved our view of the valley, it had a great little porch where we could enjoy our coffee in the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank alabama850
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2011

Dear Alabama,
Please plan for longer than 2 nights next time!
Happy New Year!!

Reviewed December 13, 2011

We just had an overnight visit at this beautiful hotel retreat, and only wish it could have been a longer stay. From the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out, the service and accommodations were superb. We had a delicious lunch, dinner, and breakfast, a wine tasting with a kind, friendly, knowledgeable sommelier, yoga and meditation with a sweet, and helpful teacher, and staff that went beyond the call of duty many times. Our waiters that served our meals were friendly and helpful with suggestions and other info regarding our stay. The spa experience was one of the best we have ever had, and the entire property was so well cared for and serene. Our room was tastefully and thoughfully prepared and the bed was so perfect, I am probably going to call and inquire about the brand. To sum it up, we will defintely be returning to this property! Thanks to Travaasa Austin staff for the perfect overnight stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2011

Dear Dede2Travel,
What a lovely review: thank you. Bring your friends! Thanks so much.
Best,

Reviewed December 5, 2011

I visited Travaasa for four nights. I haven't been anywhere quite like it. It just seemed like a perfect fit for me. There were plenty classes/activities you could sign up for, and plenty of classes/activities you could just drop in on, so I had a mix of a "plan" and of flexibility. We had great instructors who were knowledgeable about their areas of expertise and could accomodate skilled or novice students, and those with limitations. I was there during the early part of the week (it is quieter Monday-Wednesday and busier as the weekend approaches) so there were some classes or activities that I had all to myself. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms and other spaces are well-decorated and well-designed, with lots of wood, making you feel like you have a little bit of the outdoors with you, even inside. I am very grateful to all of the staff - the front desk, spa, instructors, and dining room - for making my stay so enjoyable. Many went out of their way to accomodate special requests and changes in plans during the trip.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank time2getaway
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

Time2Get...
I couldn't have asked asked you to complete a more rewarding review! Thank you so much.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

I wanted a place with a lot of action. My wife sometimes just wants to relax while I like to go, go, go. We arrived Sunday night with reservations for two nights. We stayed four nights because it was that good.
I met the manager Tim on Monday morning. I was concerned that the activities I was looking for were not on the November mid-week schedule. He listened to me patiently and said he would see what he could do. Within a couple hours I got a note that the activities I was looking for had been added. Over the next couple days the activity agenda morphed into what the current guests wanted. Sometimes my wife and I were the only ones at the session other times I was joined by a few others.
While my wife slept in I played. First I did the fitness workout, then the mechanical bull. By the time she awoke for breakfast with me I was calm and relaxed. Later she joined me on a 45 minute hike on trails on the property. The next day we did the climbing wall together. I hadn’t gotten her out climbing in many years. She was willing to do the adventure challenge and I was excited to do it with her. I thought the ropes course would be less exciting then it was as I am an avid rock climber. Our guides added extra challenges to meet our specific skill levels. The tight wire walk was the hardest to do without grabbing the rope. It ended with a fun zip line. I caught a swim several evenings in the beautiful infinity pool overlooking the lake. The water was about 80 degrees. The lanes are long enough for a good swim. The hot tub warmed me up when I got out.
Our room had great WiFi signal as did the restaurant and lounge. Our cell phones also picked up a strong 3G signal on the top of the mountain the resort is located on. The room was very comfortable but not overly large. The bathroom was big and had a nice shower. There were two porches and satellite TV. The room service was great with bottled water and treats. Laundry facilities would have been nice.
The restaurant served very good food on a rotating menu. Each night dinner had new interesting options. The portions were sensible, not crazy large. There was plenty to eat and it was good. Most items were cooked perfectly. Once the farm raised Antelope was medium, not medium rare but still delicious. The hottest coffee pot is the pressure pot in the restaurant by the entrance door. They had coffee in several places including the room. Tea and water with fruit was available too. Breakfasts had lots of fresh fruit and were cooked to order. We stopped in on a juicing class once for some energy drinks. Our messages were top notch. There were apples and almonds in the relaxation area and pumpkin seeds the next day. I took an extra apple for the horses. The fitness class was taught by a very experience and knowledgeable woman.
It was nice to do so many fun things with my wife. Travaasa also allowed me to do extra activities while she relaxed and was comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Don S
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2011

Don,
I am so pleased that we were able to provide the experiences that you and your wife were seeking: it was a real pleasure having you here, and I really appreciate your very thorough and detailed review. My team and I hope you'll make the trip again from New Hampshire! Happy Holidays!!
All the best,

Reviewed November 14, 2011

The Travaasa was a wonderful spot to get away and relax. We had a great time at the spa and loved relaxing by the pool. We stayed in one of the canyon view rooms and it was large enough for us both along with a wonderful balcolny with a great view. Everyone that worked at the Travaasa was extra nice and helpful.
The only negative was the limited food options. The Travaasa is remote so your only option is the restaurant on grounds or get in your car for at least 20+ minutes to other dining options off grounds. The food was great at some meals and mediocre at others. They use top organic, fresh ingredients which doesn't always equate to the most delictable food. I think they do the best they can with the concept of fresh, organic food they are trying to provide.
The yoga class we took was wonderful. The instructor was so helpful and the room by the spa the class was held in was spectacular. It was a great spot for a morning yoga class.

Room Tip: You at least need two nights at this place if you are planning to take in the classes, the spa, rela...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ella-Berella
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2011

Dear Ella-Bere,
Thank you for coming! Also for the cuisine selection comments: I'll get with the Chef!
Best,

Reviewed November 9, 2011

My friends and I traveled to Travaasa for a few days. We loved the Travaasa experience and wished we could have stayed longer. Between everything to do and eat in Austin (Uchiko - AMAZING) and all the activities at Travaasa, there was just too much fun to be had. Even though you could spend your whole vacation trying to take every class and spa treatment they offer "on campus", you don't feel pressured to and can make the experience your own (i.e., go ahead and lazily watch the sun set from your patio).

The rooms were comfortable, clean and spacious. All of the staff members were fantastic and welcomed us with open arms. We're now thinking of planning our next trip to their sister resort in Hana.

Need to relax, reset and be inspired? Travaasa is the place to go.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank 593,119
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2011

Dear 593119
Nice review, thanks! Please let me know when you book Travaasa Hana, so I can me assure you get the appropriate welcome!
All the best,

Reviewed November 4, 2011

My wife and I stayed here during the last week of October. It was just great setting is spectacular, pool is awesome, food is great. Waiters ans waitresses so friendly and nice. It is not cheap but with a great breakfast and classes I thought it was good value. We went to a great cooking demo and yoga class. Really enjoyed both. But the highlight was the equine experience. Amazing

It does take about 30 minutes to get downtown. We thought it was a nice mix of being at a beautiful hotel but also being able to go into Austin for fun and culture

We went when it wasn't crowded and there wasn't much scheduled in the way of activities. When we expressed our disappointment they went out of their way to add stuff

Bathrooms are clean and fine but were a bit outdated for a hotel of this quality

We are going back. It is great

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank steveboxer9

Hi Steveboxer
Thanks for the review. We have updated the bathrooms in building #6, and have started on #7....it's happening! See you again soon I hope.
Best