“Wonderful resort. Can't wait to go back!!”
Review of Travaasa Austin

Travaasa Austin
Ranked #31 of 205 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I just returned from a weekend girlfriend's trip and had a GREAT time! It was extremely peaceful, quiet property. Perfect for a relaxing getaway! The rooms were spacious and the beds were very comfortable. The staff was incrediblely friendly and accomodating. They went out of their way to ensure we had what we wanted and needed. Everyone was so nice, from the front desk staff and waitstaff to the spa staff and fitness instructors. I had an incredible massage. The food was amazing also.
I can't wait to go back, already planning my next trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank amw2009
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2011

Dear AMW2009: you and several others are 'trend setting': Travaasa is the place to come with groups of friends: great fun, you love it, we love it!
Thank you!

Reviewed August 12, 2011

You may have read some of the older reviews about the previous incarnation of this resort, but, you must try the refreshed and re-designed resort that is now Travaasa. We've stayed in some high quality resorts before (e.g. Westin resorts) and this definitely ranks up there with the best for; quality, service, facilities (fitness centre, pool, amazing spa and creative/unusual events that are included in the packages).

Nearby is Austin city centre within a 25 minute drive. Also, if you enjoy glorious sunsets and perhaps the odd margarita or two, you must try The Oasis which is less than 10 minutes away. The Oasis has improved significantly over the last 3 years since we were last there.

Next year, Formula 1 visits Austin in November. What better place to stay than at the Travaasa for that chilled out experience while enjoying the raw emotion of an F1 race less than 50 minutes from the hotel?

We'll be back! Thank you Tim and the rest of the Travaasa family at Austin for helping to make out stay a truly memorable one.

Room Tip: All room locations seemed amazing, you can't go wrong...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DavidSClifford
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Dear David S
I do hope all F1 fans follow your advice! It was lovely to have you both here: we'll see you in November 2012 if not before!
Cheers

Reviewed August 9, 2011

We live in Austin but wanted to get away for the weekend. There was not one person who helped us who didn't have a smile on their face. Everyone was extremely helpful. It was hard to leave, the food was incredible and room was spacious. If there wasn't so many activities, I could of slept in the bed all day. It was a little expensive so we will have to save, but we will be definitely heading back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Dear Melissa G
And you've kept us smiling! Love the challenge of too many activities!
See you again soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2011

The activities were so well organized and executed. The cooking class was perfectly set up to accommodate our large group and allowed people who typically may not have wanted to get their hands dirty get elbows deep in bread crumbs. It really was so well done from start to finish and the perfect inside activity after spending the morning running around the property. It was also delicious! Our on-site contact was a fantastic host throughout the weekend. His attention to detail, willingness to accommodate last minute requests and overall friendly disposition was absolutely wonderful and so very much appreciated. Overall, it really was such a wonderful weekend thanks to everyone at Travaasa. Everything went so well, and everyone was so complimentary of the staff, facilities and food.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BaileyT25
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2011

Dear BaileyT25
I sorry I missed responding to your great review: thank you for this! Please do let me know who the host was, as I will thank him too! We all look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

We had never heard of Travaasa Austin, so we had no idea what we were getting into. It's not really a hotel...the haciendas with the rooms are spread out over the property. It's not really a resort...it's a little more rugged than that, walking to the various buildings in the blazing Texas sun. Here's a video I made walking through the grounds:

It's more like a secret hideout that grew up out of the parched earth of the Texas hill country. It makes you feel like you don't want to tell the rest of the world that it's there.

The rooms are great. The air conditioning is ice cold even on a 105 degree day. The queen size beds are wonderful even for my wife and I who were used to sleeping on a king-size.

But you don't just stay in your room. The whole point of being there is to do the activities. That's what makes it a totally different experience. There is no extra charge for the activities--they are included in the price. Some activities require that you sign up beforehand. Others, you just show up.

The best thing about Travaasa is the people, the staff. By the time you leave, you feel like you're leaving your friends.

Susan is a great yoga instructor and person. Jillian in the fitness center, and with her juicing demo; Cortnie, Josh, and Aaron on the Challenge Course--all were great. Larry was very good with his harmonica lesson and two-step instructions. There were so many activities that we didn't have time to do. I'm sure we would have liked those instructors as well.

Every employee we encountered was pleasant and friendly. Alison did a great job of helping to get our breakfast to our table each morning.

Chef Ben's "culinary demo" was fun. His food was delicious. One thing that we didn't like was the price of the meals. Breakfast was included in our plan, and was very good. But lunch was expensive, and dinner was twice as expensive. The food was so good that we would have eaten there every meal, but it would have made our stay so expensive that it would have used up our budget for our next stay. We wish that they could come up with a tempting all-inclusive price.

We will definitely be coming back to Travaasa, hopefully within the next few weeks.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank two1749
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2011

Dear Two1749
Thank you so much for posting the video; I think others will find this very useful. I hear your comments about an approachable, all inclusive price, and am working on finding the balance! I do hope we see you again, very soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Just returned from a Thursday-Sunday Mother/Daughter stay. It was WONDERFUL. We did the Total Travaasa package - and while I'm not saying it was cheap - it was very reasonable compared to other "all inclusive" spa resorts both in the Austin area and in other parts of the country (this was a destination trip for us - so we looked all over). We left completely refreshed, feeling healthy and relaxed.

The staff was unbelievably attentive, gracious and friendly. Stand-outs were Miguel who we saw most often by the pool, Tricia from the front desk, and Ben the chef who never failed to greet us, stop by our table, give us a recipe requested, and chat about food ideas. Every single encounter we had with the staff was pleasant.

The rooms were very comfortable - great beds, lovely views, comfortable bathrooms. We had read that there was no TV, so we came equipped with an iPad, but we did actually have a nice TV in the room. While I wouldn't normally add this as a "plus" ... this is very much a relaxation place and there is no nightlife to speak of - so we enjoyed retiring early and watching a movie in the room.

The spa treatments were amazing -- we each had 3, and each was better than the last. I had my first Thai massage ... it was incredible and James was a wonderful therapist - I would highly recommend it. We also both did the Ancient Purification - and it was one of the most relaxing treatments I have ever had -- my Mom kept calling it an "out of body experience".

The food was incredible -- all very fresh and healthy and "farm to table" with some even grown onsite. All of our meals were included in our package -- I would definitely recommend doing this as it seemed many people went offsite to eat. I can't imagine that the food would be better or more reasonable anywhere locally.

The grounds were beautiful and very in keeping with the surrounding countryside. We enjoyed hiking every day, and my Mom loved the Challenge course. The yoga classes and fitness classes were great. Ivonette in the fitness center was one of the most informative and attentive instructors I've ever met - I plan to keep in touch!

Out of the entire experience - we did have one complaint ... the beautiful infinity pool has a large deck and lots of deck chairs - but only 2 umbrellas that cannot be moved. Given how hot and sunny it is, and how many chairs available - there MUST be more shade! I would recommend putting sun-shades up above the very pretty pergola-area.

All in all - a WONDERFUL trip. Thanks so much to all of the staff

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AtlantaMulligan

Dear AtlantaMulligan,
Adding shade is high on our list of priorities: thanks for noticing: I am so glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you really highlighted the value that we offer.We love we do: and so do you!
All the best,

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Ten college girlfriends and I just spent a long weekend at Travaasa Austin and loved it. We have had an annual reunion almost every summer for the last 15 years, so we've been to quite a few places. This one was perfect for our group -- it was a beautiful location, very nice accomodations and views, excellent food, fabulous pool and spa for times when we wanted to lounge, and great scheduled activities for times when we wanted to be more active. Travaasa is only a five-minute drive to The Oasis -- very fun place to spend an evening watching the sunset and listening to live music. Be sure to do the "challenge course" and zipline - the staff that run it are wonderful. The staff was very accomodating for all our requests, and with that many girls, there were plenty of requests! They even helped us make arrangements to have a car service take us to downtown Austin for dinner so that we could all enjoy the evening without worrying about driving. I highly recommend Travaasa as a great place for a girlfriend getaway!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms have beautiful views and furnished balconies.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
TimThuell, General Manager at Travaasa Austin, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2011

Dear Lisaledge
You captured the spirit of Travaasa beautifully: a group of friends reconnecting and enjoying life as it is meant to be. I hope others follow your lead! Thanks for coming, and see you again soon!