“Excellent food with nice atmosphere”

Congress Restaurant
Ranked #714 of 3,689 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Second Street
“Excellent food with nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had the 3 course dinner and enjoyed each bite. It was for a business dinner and the quality and pace of service was perfect.

Kensington, Maryland
“Superb though not stupendous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We both had the 3 course dinner and were pleasantly surprised by the quality, presentation and satiation. Each dish (and we had six different ones) was beautifully presented and had superb tastes. It's nice that Austin has such a fine white table cloth location in the heart of downtown. The ambiance is quiet and lovely. The service was excellent. All that said, there was just something missing. Maybe there just needs to be a bit of Austin quirky thown in. It's sort of like using citrus to make the flavors pop. I came away sated but not wowwed. Looking forward to eating next door and their Austin forward more casual spot.

“No choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

Only serve fixe prix meals. Food was excellent but have had better and extremely expensive. Seating is too chummy for an upscale restaurant. Way too many choices in Austin to ever go again.

Dallas, Texas
“Memorable Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband did the 7 course and I did the 3. We appreciated them letting us do this as we have been places that require you to order the same thing. The food was outstanding and at the end my husband declared that it was top to bottom the best meal he'd ever had! It was very unpretentious but I would have preferred the service to be a little more polished. We had lots of different people waiting on our table and I often felt that the left hand wasn't necessarily talking to the right. But overall, it was an outstanding meal.

• Visited January 2013
Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it but not in love”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I went the tasting menu route (7 courses) and this is a set menu. All of the food was very well prepared, very well plated, and melted in your mouth but nothing wowed me. There were a few items I wasn't fond of on this menu despite usually liking them but my boyfriend didn't have a problem with them so maybe I was just being picky.

We had 2 drinks apiece and the 7 course dinner. Our bill without tip was $316. In my opinion I've had better food at The Carillon (another upmarket, 3-7 course restaurant) for a much better price.

However the drinks at Congress are amazing! Don't let the ingredients confuse you, they're all good. Bar Congress has a bar menu with drinks and food. That may be the route I go next time.