“Enjoyable, but wouldn't return”

Congress Restaurant
Ranked #722 of 3,708 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Second Street
College Station, Texas, United States
“Enjoyable, but wouldn't return”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had a lovely meal here with my husband. I can't really complain about the food- it was very good, as you would expect for this level of restaurant and price point. It met the standards, but nothing about it seemed any better or more special when compared to peer restaurants at this same level. I did not care for the layout or space in the restaurant. It just seemed too quiet with close proximity to other dinners to the point you feel like you are part of their conversation. It needed different/ louder music or better table separation to help up the intimacy factor. It was our anniversary and while we enjoyed the food and service- it was just average. If I'm comparing just food I'd go 4 or maybe 5 stars, but the general vibe here was sort of plain Jane.

1 Thank Dclem1

Austin, Texas
“A special meal for a special occasion”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

My husband treated me to dinner at Congress to celebrate my 60th birthday. The whole experience certainly made this milestone birthday much more tolerable! It was a special meal with three incredible courses all full of flavor and beautifully presented. There were several highlights including a slow poached farm egg, cherry crusted scallops and the most incredible lime basil sorbet! Service fit the meal. We thought the price was not out of line for the quality of the food and experience. Bonus, the choice in music!

“Pricey but worth it!”
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Just had dinner to celebrate our anniversary at Congress. It has to be one of the best meals we have enjoyed in the past 5 years! The chef has created an innovative menu that brings together different flavors in novel taste combinations. For our anniversary, they gave us complimentary champagne to start. The amuse boche was a savory Parmesan foam and Chantrelle custard that was delicious. The heirloom tomatoes with local soft cheese was wonderful and the watermelon, fig, pork belly salad was superb as an opening course. The white lobster bisque had to be the best seafood bisques we've ever tasted. The wine list is outstanding. For dessert, I recommend the basil pear sorbet. There is a chef's tasting menu with wine pairings but the a la carte was too tempting. The service was as excellent as the meal. For a special occasion, I can't think of a better restaurant in Austin.

Austin, TX
“Elegant and Delicious”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Wow. What a meal. I might call this place perfect when it comes to food. Presentation- excellent. Menu, delicious. Service great. Atmosphere, initially feels a tad stuffy, but really nice.

One of my favorite things about Congress is that it is expensive, and that means that you aren't likely to see people in here in shorts, t-shirts and ball caps like you might in many of the other area restaurants.

For the money, you get what you expect. Fresh, cooked to perfection, beautifully prepared food.

My only complaint, and it's really not a complaint was that while the wine list is extensive and well put together, it felt a tad overpriced, but that didn't stop us from enjoying it.

Congress is perfect for special occasions.

Kansas City
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Amazing food and service. Great for special occasion of romantic dinner.

Visited June 2012