“Breakfast All Day”

24 Diner
Ranked #75 of 3,727 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: 24 Diner is a 24-hour urban restaurant offering chef-driven comfort food, local and organic fare, a full bar and a killer beer/wine list at affordable prices. The concept has been named one of the best diners in the United States by Bon Appétit and Food & Wine, featured multiple times on Food Network and showcased in publications such as Texas Monthly, USA Today, Saveur, Mother Jones, Zagat, Thrillist, Guardian UK and more.
Wilmington, Vermont
“Breakfast All Day”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Every time we get into Austin we insist on doing breakfast here with our daughter and son in law. We've found it to have a varied menue, sandwiches, veggie stuff, but most of all super breakfasts.

This most recent trip the place wasn't full to the brim, so getting a table wasn't a problem nor was service which can be when the place is full with people out the door.

We've found their breakfast portions to be on the generous side, especially their eggs and omlets, and they'll prepare them to meet any idiosyncratic wants (within reason). My wife especially enjoys their waffles which are light and moist each time she's ordered them.

Simply put, we like the place, haven't ever had a service issue and always found the portions and food quality to be tops and for a reasonable price.

• Visited April 2013

Austin, Texas
“Management needs to rethink the business model”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I went to 24 Diner this evening with my daugher and her friend for its signature dish--chicken and waffles around 5.30 pm. We had had it before, & it was terrific. This time, it seemed like the kitchen was out of frying chicken and used a solid chicken cutlet. It was think, tough. and inedible. I sent it back but did not have time (or inclination) to let them remake it. And then they charged me for it. The waitress apologized profusely but told me her manager did not allow her to take it off the bill. So I waited to talk to him. The coward never appeared but alllowed her to remove it. I don't rightly think I want to complain here about service but about the mind that's running the place. If this is the owner's doing, then bad on him. If this is the owner's employee, he needs some training. That pricey address across from Whole Foods needs a different customer attitude.

• Visited April 2013
Monroe, Connecticut
“Better than I expected”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This was another recommendation from a friend of my son's and this time was spot on. Went for dinner and there was no line and no wait for 5 of us. I saw the review about the service being slow but that was not the case for us at all. Our server was fast, friendly and helpful. The food may not have been "great" but it was really, really good. I don't think anyone was disappointed with their meal at all. Had the chicken and waffles - and they were the best I've had. If they aren't that good for everyone else, well, they were for me. Plenty of food there, for sure, and I left nothing on the plate...server statement - "go big or go home." Damn straight.

The chili is excellent, the salads excellent, all in all, really good food in a laid-back place with great service - and it did not break the bank for a party of 5. I wish we had time to go back again.

• Visited March 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“No pancakes??”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The fried egg sandwich was good, we were lucky to get a seat as we walked in - line formed by door waiting for tables.

Visited January 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
“Tasty but slooooowwwww service”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Menu interesting but recommendations from server were not all to die for. We waited almost 45 minutes for food, which is tough with 3 hungry kids. Few kid options on the menu meant for a pricey meal. The meatloaf was very average but the sweet potato hash was excellent. Great milkshakes but wish they had a mini version for the wee ones.

Visited February 2013

Been to 24 Diner? Share your experiences!