“Good Food”
Review of Uchiko

Uchiko
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchiko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 3,833 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 43rd
Description: We are proud to announce... Chef Tyson Cole, winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest--Thank you Uchi and Uchiko family and friends for your support! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uchiko, translated as "child of Uchi" from Japanese, is the next restaurant venture for renowned executive chef and sushi master Tyson Cole. Located in central Austin, this second location of Cole's highly-praised Uchi presents the same excellence and energetic atmosphere of the original with some noteworthy additions. Uchiko features a new menu with Uchi's same style of innovative and fresh cuisine, a main dining room that accepts reservations throughout the evening and an eat-in bar/café area.
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Have been to this place few times. Their food is good and fresh. They also have very good service and waitstaff is helpful as well. I highly recommend this place for any one that like good Sushi.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have eaten twice with my family and it was excellent both times. Very good service, helpful waitstaff. Uniquely prepared food I have not had at any other restaurant. Highly recommend this restaurant as a must for foodies. Also, very reasonable prices for the wine list. I will definitely go back. The musts, I think are the brussels sprouts- cant imagine this could be make so well, the hot rocks beef, the fried salmon roll, and the fried chicken dish.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I'd always wanted to try Uchiko or it's sister restaurant during one of my visits to Austin, TX. However, all the great barbecue, mexican & steak always made for delectable roadblocks towards meeting this personal goal of mine - not that I'm complaining. You only have so many meals during a trip.

Fortunately during this recent trip, and old friend & colleague of mine named Uchiko as one of several dinner suggestions. I grabbed the opportunity without a second thought - and there are absolutely NO regrets.

I'm enjoy my Japanese food and am familiar with the Tsukiji sushi joints, ramen/soba/udon shops, etc. and so I was looking forward to my visit to this highly-rated restaurant... I was NOT disappointed. In fact, I was blown away!

The food is fusion. Nothing was straightforward. Every piece of sushi had a surprise. The littlest infusion of an extra ingredient or sauce made a world of difference. The rolls were also pleasant surprises. Nothing is boring or normal here. Dishes are served with presentation in mind and intend to catch you by surprise. The desert was also imaginative and - well, I'm running out of superlatives, but you get the idea.

Portions are fine-dining-esque. It's priced on the high side but the presentation, freshness, aesthetic & taste quality certainly justify it. Be prepared to splurge - but you will leave with a smile on your face for doing so.

Come early... 6-ish otherwise it gets crowded pretty quickly. I visited on a Wednesday evening and it was full when I left - mid-week, people...

If you're thinking about it, just do it, visit Uchiko and be prepared to be blown away!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Last week, my wife and I went to uchiko with another couple. We all ordered the chefs tasting menu. Some dishes were fabulous and many dishes were quite good. The wine pairings were mixed but we all agreed that e various sakes were superb. The desserts were fabulous!

The reason I am giving it 3 stars is because the meal was outrageously expensive and two of us were still hungry when we got home. The meal with drinks was $600 for four and we were still hungry. OUTRAGEOUS!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have been to innumerable restaurants around the world and in the US and this is one of the truly memorable ones. To start with,the servers and ambiance are perfect. Even for a large restaurant the noise level permitted normal conversation. Thank you for sound dampening. The suggestions by Gillian, the server, were right on the money.
The beverages-great and interesting cocktails, unique, and a wine and sake list for all budgets.
Then the food:unique but not quirky or bizarre, modern Japanese/fusion and good value for the money. Dishes are to be shared..great treatment of vegetables. I wish I lived closer and it would be a staple. Don't miss it if you go to Austin.