“So disappointing ! Very average sushi”
Review of Uchiko

Uchiko
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchiko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 3,816 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 43rd
Description: We are proud to announce... Chef Tyson Cole, winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest--Thank you Uchi and Uchiko family and friends for your support! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uchiko, translated as "child of Uchi" from Japanese, is the next restaurant venture for renowned executive chef and sushi master Tyson Cole. Located in central Austin, this second location of Cole's highly-praised Uchi presents the same excellence and energetic atmosphere of the original with some noteworthy additions. Uchiko features a new menu with Uchi's same style of innovative and fresh cuisine, a main dining room that accepts reservations throughout the evening and an eat-in bar/café area.
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This beautiful restaurant did have great service, but the sushi was not very good. I have had much better at half the price. I was shocked, because the reviews were so good, I had high expectations. Neither myself or my dining companion liked our sushi. Maybe texans have never been to New York or California where I have had much, much better

2  Thank kbatlanta

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great restaurant in the north central part of Austin. Absolutely everything
is good -- I especially like the fresh seafood (various mackerel included),
but they have interesting dishes with beef and pork. If you can make it for
their opening at 5pm, then they have special dishes available at half price
-- but the bar area fills fast and the "social hour" menu is only available in
the front section. Anyway that's the best place to sit in any case -- there's
a nice table for two along the east wall, and then the last two bar seats at
the south end are preferable, too. They have a nice selection of white wines,
not to mention the possibilities for sake. For myself, the Fillaboa albarino
is always an excellent choice. The wait staff are excellent, and several
provide cues for the best choices of the evening. This restaurant is
well-worth planning ahead with reservations, but for last minute possibilities
you can just check in around 7:30pm and see if they have a free table. The
food is exceptional, the service is always special, and shall we just say that
this restaurant is highly recommended!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Sit at the bar, the sushi chef will recommend what they got in that day and what they are making. Ours was super nice.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

In Austin for business and this restaurant came highly recommended. It exceeded all of my expectations. We ordered several items from each section of the menu and the food was presented in just the right order. My favorites were: hama chili - so fresh and light; brussel sprouts - my coworker and waiter convinced me to try them, like nothing I'd ever tasted before, I am a HUGE brussel sprout fan now; and the tiger cry roll with wagyu - we ended our meal with this one and it was perfect!

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Uchiko (and it's sister restaurant, Uchi) are much more than a meal at a restaurant - they are both exceptional dining experiences. Waiters and waitresses are extremely knowledgeable and there to guide you on a culinary journey. It's not a traditional appetizer/entree/dessert type thing that is typical of American restaurants. You're meant to sample and share many small dishes with your dining companion(s). Each one is a carefully balanced blend of flavors (your server will probably say something to that effect when they bring out the dish, and encourage you to construct each bite to include a little of everything on the plate.) We usually order as we go, maybe 2-3 dishes at a time. I think we had 7 dishes total, including dessert, and we both left full but not stuffed. It's not a cheap meal, but I don't know a single person who has eaten there and not thought it was worth every penny. To save on costs try going during happy hour, where popular dishes in just slightly smaller portions are discounted considerably. Also, despite the fact that's the best, most beautifully presented food I've ever had, the atmosphere is casually elegant. The servers wear (skinny) jeans and Toms, so it's not exactly a coat-and-tie kinda place. Reservations are practically mandatory and should be made at least a week in advance to ensure you get the time/day you want.

Been to Uchiko? Share your experiences!