“All Around Excellence”
Review of Uchiko

Uchiko
Reserve with OpenTable
Uchiko is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 3,801 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 43rd
Description: We are proud to announce... Chef Tyson Cole, winner of the 2011 James Beard Foundation Award for Best Chef Southwest--Thank you Uchi and Uchiko family and friends for your support! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Uchiko, translated as "child of Uchi" from Japanese, is the next restaurant venture for renowned executive chef and sushi master Tyson Cole. Located in central Austin, this second location of Cole's highly-praised Uchi presents the same excellence and energetic atmosphere of the original with some noteworthy additions. Uchiko features a new menu with Uchi's same style of innovative and fresh cuisine, a main dining room that accepts reservations throughout the evening and an eat-in bar/café area.
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I have dined several times at the downtown-ish parent restaurant, but was equally impressed with Uchiko. The service was impeccable, our server provided us with detailed descriptions of the menu and with detailed answers to any questions we had about the menu.

I am quite carnivorous, my wife is a dedicated vegetarian and we both found multiple menu items that we could both enjoy. The menu items at Uchiko are served tapas style, so you can sample all kinds of dishes without filling up on a single dish.

Uchiko is certainly not cheap, but it's a very enjoyable dining experience that I recommend to anyone in Austin looking for a Japanese-influenced and delicious meal.

Reviewed May 21, 2011

My son took me here this week and I have to say, this was the best Japanese food I have ever eaten. I've been to some very impressive Japanese restaurants in Japan, Australia
and the US - but this was clearly the best I have ever experienced. We went early, sat at the sushi bar and felt like we had gone to heaven....It was early enough that we could dine from the Sake Social menu... wow!!! My favorite dish was the Yokai Berry (atlantic salmon, dinosaur kale, asian pear, blueberry and yuzu.) Oh boy was it good... Then the bacon sen,
uchi salad, koviche and more. There was absolutely nothing to fault. Everything was super fresh, prepared stunningly and utterly delicious!!! Well done, all.

Reviewed April 8, 2011

I keep trying to think of a way to describe my UchiKo experience, and it's truly hard to put into words!

From the menu, I couldn’t even understand what to expect, so just went with whatever was ordered and hoped for the best. The five of us enjoyed 16 different menu items, each offering something vastly different than the others. With every bite, I would try to come up with a description of what I was tasting, but couldn’t think of anything but “wow.”

Each dish was masterfully plated into a work of art, where we would make sure to get a touch of each ingredient in our chop-sticks for the complete taste-explosion. Order after order, we were blown away by the presentation and excited for the flavor to be revealed once it hit our mouths.

Being from California, I won't be surprised if someday I find myself making a special trip to Austin just to eat here again. Awesome!!!

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Sets a new bar for great sushi. Unfortunately, all my other favorite sushi joints are now just average after visiting this place. The sushi was incredible fresh. Lots of innovative ideas I've never seen anywhere else. Great service and atmosphere. Don't miss it.

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Uchi is just great, and worth waiting for (they take reservations and walk-ins), go to the bar and try one of many sakes or Japanese beers (asahi black is very hard to find and so smooth), there are only a few specialty cocktails the pao was great: smooth, aromatic, creamy!

Scallop and tomatillo appetizer ($18) tasted similar to a lime civiche, but the best I've ever had.

Each of the sushi ($4-$7) were fantastic, not sure why some were so expensive though. Some are actually cooked ornseared, and all come with a brush of some perfectly paired accompaniment (big eye tuna with chili oil, hamachi with jalapeño and apple, mackarel with tomatillo). The best sushi I've ever had, too bad they ran out of uni...

Sunchoke dashi was crazy: veggie strips with powdered-smoked-uni and a creamy dashi made a creamy rich cold soup definitely for sharing.

We also had a rabbit dish that seemed to be a spicy sausage or tartar, quite good but REALLY rich (came with roasted baby veggies and powdered versions thereof, the powdered parsnip somehow stole my attention on this dish, goes to show how every little thing on the plate was meticulously thought through. Just a fantastic meal, and the service was impeccable, so patient and helpful since the menu descriptions were a bit sparse.

I was a little full from the salt lick earlier in the day, I will be going back soon I hope and will probably spend even more and leave with a huge smile on my face.

1  Thank DC20something