“unique experience”

Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“unique experience”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went with friends to this late night venue for the first time. The Mediterranean decor lends an exotic air tempered with a well placed Elvis image. It is located in a strip center yet achieves an intimate atmosphere. The service was excellent and the food delicious. Upon entering I encountered a friend who recommended the pear tartine. I ordered this and it was perfect. The three of us shared an appetizer which was just right also. We left pleased with our meal and experience. I can see why it has become a local favorite.

• Visited August 2013

Austin, Texas
“Thank you for existing Apothecary.”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Just to clarify up front, happy hour is all day on Sunday and Monday and from 4pm to 7pm from Tuesday through Friday. It consists of $1 off glasses, $2 off select appetizers and $10 off bottles. Also, bottles of sparkling wine are half off on Saturdays. Enjoy!

I love Apothecary! Right in the middle of Rosedale and you don't have to park on the street! Go around the back of the building to park and the entrance faces the parking lot. Walk in, and hope there's an empty table. There's table service and it's very friendly. Or you can sit at the bar. The atmosphere is great. Dark and rich. It can get a little loud though.

The wine list has something for everyone and every budget. They also have a nice beer selection if wine isn't your thing. I think it's all bottles though. I could be wrong.

The appetizers are so good and go well with wine. We had the strawberry goat cheese bruschetta and the spinach and artichoke dip. All that with wine? I can think of nothing better to eat and drink while talking about state government idiocy after a long day of living it.

Thank you for existing Apothecary.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Meredith R
Bloomington, Indiana
“Outstanding”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Ate here once with family during a recent visit to Austin. It was so wonderful that we returned two nights later! The food is outstanding. I almost regret writing this review since we feel it is our hidden gem.

Well-managed, and the restrooms are clean!

• Visited May 2013
“Limited Menu--Well-prepared Food”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We dined one Saturday night with three other couples and had reservations. We chose to sit outside because it is very noisy inside--be prepared to yell if you want to converse as you dine. However, instead of having one large or two square tables put together for a party of eight, three round tables were scrunched together and it made the seating very awkward. It seemed a couple of us were inadvertently estranged from the group because of the arc created by this hodgepodge of round tables. So, if you're planning to go with a large group, keep that in mind. We all shared a round of various appetizers, and all were very tasty. I especially liked the hummus, even though it is a very simple thing to prepare. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. We tried to order eight different entrees so we could "pass the plates" and sample all that the restaurant had to offer. I ordered and would recommend the Salmon Lox if you want a lighter entree. I didn't taste anything that I didn't like, but I also didn't taste anything that made me eager to return because it was off-the-charts spectacular. The macaroni and cheese with truffle oil was a big hit at the table. We all ordered wine, and I was not happy with the wine I got. I traded mine for a Malbec that someone else in my group had ordered. The selection is pretty good, but I really don't understand why in a city like Austin restaurants do NOT have a full bar. I really would have preferred cocktails. The only real down side is that the outdoor patio is adjacent to a pretty busy street, and the traffic and related noise does affect the ambiance of Apothecary's outdoor dining. And we'd spent some time perusing their menu "Fall & Winter" menu online before we got there and had planned out what we were going to order (it was late April); when we were handed the menus as we arrived, they were updated for Spring & Summer. I wish they'd update their website at the same time.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank bohemian81
“An awesome experience :-)”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The atmosphere is really cool. The food is amazing and the tea is soooo good. This is our first time in Austin and we have had a blast. It was worth the drive from Florida

• Visited April 2013

Been to Apothecary Cafe? Share your experiences!