“3 1/2 hr. adventure”

Neighborhood: East Austin
London, Canada
“3 1/2 hr. adventure”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

It sounds daft to wait in line 3 1/2hr for a brisket sandwich but the sandwich is peerless even in a city that boasts many excellent barbeque joints. I'll be doing it again next week! The wait is just part of the experience.

Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Long Beach, California
“Worth the wait!!! GET THE BRISKET!!”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I went back in September before my flight left in the afternoon. My fiance and I were the second ones in line just after 8AM on a Tues.
Make sure to bring something to sit on, something to read, etc due to the long wait. Before they open someone will go thru the line and ask what will be ordered. This is done so the people at the end of the line will know if there is still any bbq left by the time they reach the front.
Once they do open the doors you go to the first guy that serves the meat, second serves the sides, third takes the money. Definitely order the brisket, FREAKING AWESOME!! I even ordered some brisket to bring back home. Also, as for sitting inside the restaurant, you have to get your food before you can claim a table, so no being sneaky and claiming a table before hand. There are 3 BBQ sauces on the tables to go with the meat and they sell Texas beer. Just typing this making me plan another visit, that's how good it is.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank bkalbitres
Chatham, Illinois, United States
“Awesome”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My daughter moved to Temple Texas and has been here several times..we went here and stood in the cold 38 degree misty weather from 0915 till 11:30 till we got in the door..awesome brisket melts in your mouth! The sausage and pulled pork were great as well..take lawn chairs with you BYOB..they will let you in to use their bathrooms..would love to go again but will do so when it is warmer! Loved it!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Mary Kay S
Texas
“Definite high-quality food”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Wasn't quite as impressed with the brisket ... thought it was good for sure but certainly not for a 3-hr wait. The pork ribs and chopped pork were both excellent, though!

Visited October 2013
Chappaqua, New York
“Brisket to die for”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I love BBQ so when my wife and I were in Austin we had to go to Franklin. We knew it is only open for lunch, that you had to arrive early to stand in line and that the place stays open until it runs out of food. But given Franklin's reputation and we're not exactly in Austin often we figured why not. We arrived at 9:30am on a Tuesday morning and there were already 30 people on line. The time actually goes by quick, people are friendly, the staff comes out to offer drinks and "encouragement" and we took a lot of pictures to send to friends and family. By the time the door finally opened at 11, the line had to have well over 100 people on it. Inside the place is a shack and I mean that as a compliment. We waited another 30 minutes to order, the have only one carver. You can order by the pound or by the plate. My wife decided and brisket and sausage while I had brisket and ribs. You also get two sides, we both chose slaw and beans. The carver was a great guy, friendly, talkative and from upstate NY. He gave us a decent hunk brisket to taste and all I can say is "damn". This might have been the best piece of meat I have ever eaten. It is indescribeably delicious. We got our plates, my wife got an ice tea but for $3, heck, I'm having a beer. We finally sat down to our food at 11:45. The ribs were very good as was the sausage, but the brisket, the brisket was simply the best I have ever had. Moist, tasty, the rub was unreal. It has that nice pink ring around the edges. Sex on a plate. Funny, can't remember a thing about the sides. When we were done we decided to walk back to downtown Austin as we needed to. All in all defintely worth getting there early and standing in line. Total bill for two plates, a beer and an ice tea, $41!!!!

• Visited November 2013