“Definite high-quality food”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: East Austin
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Wasn't quite as impressed with the brisket ... thought it was good for sure but certainly not for a 3-hr wait. The pork ribs and chopped pork were both excellent, though!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,309)

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I love BBQ so when my wife and I were in Austin we had to go to Franklin. We knew it is only open for lunch, that you had to arrive early to stand in line and that the place stays open until it runs out of food. But given Franklin's reputation and we're not exactly in Austin often we figured why not. We arrived at 9:30am on a Tuesday morning and there were already 30 people on line. The time actually goes by quick, people are friendly, the staff comes out to offer drinks and "encouragement" and we took a lot of pictures to send to friends and family. By the time the door finally opened at 11, the line had to have well over 100 people on it. Inside the place is a shack and I mean that as a compliment. We waited another 30 minutes to order, the have only one carver. You can order by the pound or by the plate. My wife decided and brisket and sausage while I had brisket and ribs. You also get two sides, we both chose slaw and beans. The carver was a great guy, friendly, talkative and from upstate NY. He gave us a decent hunk brisket to taste and all I can say is "damn". This might have been the best piece of meat I have ever eaten. It is indescribeably delicious. We got our plates, my wife got an ice tea but for $3, heck, I'm having a beer. We finally sat down to our food at 11:45. The ribs were very good as was the sausage, but the brisket, the brisket was simply the best I have ever had. Moist, tasty, the rub was unreal. It has that nice pink ring around the edges. Sex on a plate. Funny, can't remember a thing about the sides. When we were done we decided to walk back to downtown Austin as we needed to. All in all defintely worth getting there early and standing in line. Total bill for two plates, a beer and an ice tea, $41!!!!

3  Thank Chris M
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is outstanding Texas barbecue! Totally worth the wait. We showed up at 8:30am and were about 20th in line, not a bad spot. They open at 11am and serve until its gone, usually around 1 or 1:30. You will have the opportunity to buy beverages and adult beverages while standing in line or you can bring your own. There is a guy that rents chairs for $5 or you can bring your own. It is fantastic barbecue, worth standing in line. You will see all walks of life and everyone is very friendly. Be warned, once they open, the line moves slowly, so don't get in a hurry. Take it all in and enjoy the atmosphere. Its lots of fun.

3  Thank troymoga
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

We love bbq and this place is was featured on food network. Since this was our second trip to Austin we knew we had to visit. You must get there early and wait and wait and wait, bring chairs,book, have discussions. If you are behind the people with a sign "last man/woman standing" they will tell you they may not be able to feed you..take a chance! We did and I'm glad.

1  Thank 70,056
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've had a lot of brisket over the years but never as juicy, tender and full of flavor as what they serve at Franklin. And yes, lines begin to form at 8am - 3 hours before they open - because they only stay open until they run out! We arrived at 9:30 on a Tuesday morning and were about 40th in line. We got inside at 11:40 and to the counter 10 minutes later. They have really good ribs and sides also (I didn't try the sausage or pulled pork). Order anything you want but be sure to get the brisket also or you'll be disappointed.