“Still Drooling”

Neighborhood: East Austin
Coppell, TX
“Still Drooling”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This weekend was my second visit to Franklin BBQ. Second time I made a specific effort to get to Austin from Dallas in time to stand in line and wait for brisket. And the second time I was reminded how awesome brisket can be. It is seriously like no other brisket you'll have anywhere. The ribs are terrific, the sausage rocks. But both are the ugly cousin to the greatness that is the brisket.

Both times I've been Aaron is at the counter cutting the meat and chatting with everyone. It makes the experience that much better.

Don't let the long wait keep you away. Suck it up and get in line early. Buy some beer while you wait and make some new friends. It is a great way to spend a few hours. Your patience will be rewarded!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Four hour wait...and it was worth it”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Went on a Friday and got there about 10am. There was a large line already. Some people start lining up at 07:30 to sample this BBQ. They serve until they sell out. The door opens at 11:00. So while waiting in line they send someone to ask what you are going to order. This isn't to take your order only to let you know what might be available when you get to the counter. They also tell people near the back when they think they will run out so you don't wait unnecessarily. While waiting a wait person comes along the line and allows you to buy soda or beer. The access to the bathroom is open throat if you need it. We talked with others in the line and had Avery enjoyable wait. As we neared the door they started at the back providing a little snack of dough wrapped sausage until they ran out. This was a nice touch for those who had waited the longest. So once inside you still wait. Once you get to the counter you give your order, meat is cut right in front of you and you pay. We ordered two 2 meat plates. This allowed us to sample ribs, pulled pork, turkey and brisket. They gave us both fatty brisket and the lean since. We weren't sure which we wanted. What can i say, the ribs were excellent and heavy with pepper , the pulled pork also great. The real stars were the turkey and the brisket. For me the fatty brisket was incredible and without a doubt the best brisket I have ever eaten. My wife liked the lean brisket, very tender and full of flavor. The turkey was moist and very flavorful. In the end we waited four hours and I have to say it was worth it. If you aren't up for the wait go during the week, I was told crowds are much less. Biggest crowds on Friday and Saturday. Another option is if you are wiling to order 5 pounds of meat and can plan ahead (at least 3 days ahead) then you can get your BBQ before the crowds. We saw people walking in and out around ten with boxes of BBQ.

Leeds
“Definitely worth the wait”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We turned up on a saturday just after 9am and got in the queue where we ended up just after the halfway point overall. Around 10 am the staff come round to offer drinks and begin taking orders where they gauge how much meat will be left. At this stage you are told roughly how long your wait will be before you eat which turned out the be very accurate, in our case was around 3 hours! They open up the restrooms at this stage so dont worry if you have started on the beers!

Due to the long wait you will find the chair man outside renting chairs for $5, I would recommend you go for this if you dont have your own.

As we got closer to the front door we were offered some complimentary snacks to try, this gave us a good taste for things to come.

When you get inside there are t-shirts, hoodies etc and you can view the menu whilst you wait. The staff are very friendly and let you try some samples of the meat before you buy.

Aaron Franklin - the owner greeted us at the checkout and was happy to chat, once we had our food and sat down the staff were very friendly and kept checking up to make sure everything was good. Aaron actually goes round to talk to everyone and in our case sat down and gave us a list of other places in Austin to try, what a legend!

I would definitely recommend that people who enjoy their BBQ visit Franklins when they are in Austin and can happily say it is the best BBQ I have ever tasted... I wish there was one in the UK!

Oregon
“2 hour wait? Worth it!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We went on a chilly Wednesday.The sign says 11 until sold out. We figured we would be safe arriving at 11:30...we were lucky. They closed 5 people after us. The food was amazing. We got the last of the fatty brisket ( the best--but the lean was good too). The ribs literally fell off the bone and the bone was clean. The pulled pork was perfection. If you are going for ambience, forget it, but if you want good barbeque, don't miss it!

San Antonio
“Man, that brisket!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We got there around 9:15 am and there was already a line. I was told that the very first ones at the door got there around 7 am. We brought chairs with us, but there also was a gentleman across the street who was renting camping chairs for $5. One of the staff came around and offered beverages and kept us up-to-date on the wait. There is also a CVS or Walgreens right around the corner in case you want a magazine to read while you wait. At 11 am...the doors open and the line moves quickly from there. Once you get through the front door, it's about 30-40 minutes before you get your food. It took us about 3 hours from arrival to finally order our food.

The Food:
We had the fatty brisket, tukey, ribs, and sausage. The ribs were delicious and fall of the bone tender. The turkey was moist with a robust flavor. The sausage...had to be my least favorite. The casing was too chewy for my liking. Now the brisket....MAN! I'll just say this...make sure you order some extra to go! It wasn't too smokey and was cooked perfectly.That brisket paired very well with the espresso sauce. The sides (potato salad and slaw) were good and they did a good job of complimenting the meats.

The servers were very nice and made sure that you were confortable. The man himself (Aaaron) was there greeting guests as we dined.

I never waited more than an hour for anything in my life....but I think I'm willing to do it again at Franklin's. The only reason I didn't give it a 5-star rating is that I felt that there should have been more side items and chicken added to the menu.

• Visited April 2013

Been to Franklin Barbecue? Share your experiences!