“A must do in Austin!”

Franklin Barbecue
Ranked #5 of 3,689 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: East Austin
grayson, georgia
“A must do in Austin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Not only was the food incredible, what made this restaurant special was the obvious contentment of the entire crew here. A definite must do in Austin.

Monroe, Connecticut
“Lived up to the hype”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

It's a rare thing for a restaurant to live up to the media hype for me, but Franklin BBQ did that and more. We went on our last day in Austin, got there a little after 9 and there were already about 25 people in front of us. The wait until 11AM went quick, lots of people-watching to do. At 11AM the doors open and it's time to...wait in the inside line. Ahh, but the goodness is in sight, and the smells are mouth-watering.

Once we got to the counter it was sample time - a few pieces of brisket to get you ready, and what a brisket. This is the best brisket I have ever had, hands down. My quote of the morning..."I could cry this is so good." Yes, it is that good. Get the fatty brisket for the really moist stuff. We all got two meat plates so we could try a little of everything. The sausage - excellent. I like my sausage to snap when you bite into it, and this does. And the taste! Awesome. The ribs - they don't look like it, but they are moist and tender. The sides, maybe not so good - but I could care less. Did I mention the brisket?

If you are in Austin you need to get to Franklin Barbecue. No excuses- just get there!

Utah
“As good as BBQ can get”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went there over spring break. A quirky place with lines forming with lawn chairs, blankets, umbrellas at 10 for the 11am opening. They serve amazing ribs, brisket, sausage, turkey, coleslaw, etc. with brown butcher paper for your plate. We went twice and couldn't get there before they ran out of ribs and turkey. The hand chopped beef and brisket was best ever. Large mouthwatering portions with great sauces. They close when they run out of meat: usually by 1:30 pm. My teenage son saw it and said, "it's ghetto, I am not eating there." We stopped and waited in line, ate, and he hasn't stopped talking about his " best BBQ ever" since coming home.

Burlington, Canada
“Amazing Brisket! Worth the Wait!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We did a Texas drive tour in March and after reading reviews I had to make this place our first stop in Austin. We arrived at about 1230pm on a Friday afternoon an there was already about 30 people in the outside line (probably another 25 or so in the indoor line). Someone already mentioned the beer in line, a welcome treat as it was about 80f in line. SXSW was in so there were a lot of musicians and visitors from distant places, it was great fun talking to everyone. Franklin staff greet you in line, tell you what they're out of already, and if, based on your position in line, you're going to get anything! They only stay open while they still have food - typically 1100am til around 200pm. I think we waited around an hour and they still had brisket..we've never had meat that tasty and tender, it was awesome! Sides were great too(potato salad/beans). Great, friendly staff. Highly recommended..

• Visited March 2013
el paso
“Best Brisket Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

For years I have heard of the greatness that is Franklin. My job now takes me to Austin twice a month and I try and plan my three or four days there to get at least one meal there. I show up late, around 130 and usually stand in line for about 35-40 minutes. On most occasions the people three of four behind are told no more. The brisket is the best Texas brisket I have ever had. Not too fatty, not to lean. It's flavorful and has incredible texture. Melt in your mouth and slap yo mamas face damn good!!! The sides are all tasty, but why waste the room. Staff was friendly too

• Visited March 2013

Been to Franklin Barbecue? Share your experiences!