“As good as BBQ can get”

Franklin Barbecue
Ranked #5 of 3,699 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: East Austin
Utah
“As good as BBQ can get”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went there over spring break. A quirky place with lines forming with lawn chairs, blankets, umbrellas at 10 for the 11am opening. They serve amazing ribs, brisket, sausage, turkey, coleslaw, etc. with brown butcher paper for your plate. We went twice and couldn't get there before they ran out of ribs and turkey. The hand chopped beef and brisket was best ever. Large mouthwatering portions with great sauces. They close when they run out of meat: usually by 1:30 pm. My teenage son saw it and said, "it's ghetto, I am not eating there." We stopped and waited in line, ate, and he hasn't stopped talking about his " best BBQ ever" since coming home.

• Visited April 2013

Burlington, Canada
“Amazing Brisket! Worth the Wait!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We did a Texas drive tour in March and after reading reviews I had to make this place our first stop in Austin. We arrived at about 1230pm on a Friday afternoon an there was already about 30 people in the outside line (probably another 25 or so in the indoor line). Someone already mentioned the beer in line, a welcome treat as it was about 80f in line. SXSW was in so there were a lot of musicians and visitors from distant places, it was great fun talking to everyone. Franklin staff greet you in line, tell you what they're out of already, and if, based on your position in line, you're going to get anything! They only stay open while they still have food - typically 1100am til around 200pm. I think we waited around an hour and they still had brisket..we've never had meat that tasty and tender, it was awesome! Sides were great too(potato salad/beans). Great, friendly staff. Highly recommended..

• Visited March 2013
el paso
“Best Brisket Ever”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

For years I have heard of the greatness that is Franklin. My job now takes me to Austin twice a month and I try and plan my three or four days there to get at least one meal there. I show up late, around 130 and usually stand in line for about 35-40 minutes. On most occasions the people three of four behind are told no more. The brisket is the best Texas brisket I have ever had. Not too fatty, not to lean. It's flavorful and has incredible texture. Melt in your mouth and slap yo mamas face damn good!!! The sides are all tasty, but why waste the room. Staff was friendly too

• Visited March 2013
Santa Ana, California
“Worth the Wait!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I were visiting Austin, TX, before traveling to the Hill Country and some Texas wine tasting, so when I heard about Franklin Barbeque and the long lines, I just had to see it for myself. It was a 9:00 am on a Tuesday morning that we arrived at what appeared to be a cluster of county fair trailers. We knew right away this was the right spot because there was already a line of 50 or 60 customers waiting for the 11:00 am opening. By the time the restaurant opened the line was near 100 or so. Franklin Barbeque is only open until the day's 1700 pounds of meat are gone.

This is THE BEST BARBEQUE EVER! I had the two meat plate with pork ribs and brisket. I have never, ever had brisket like this in my life. No knife needed here. The brisket melts in your mouth and the pork ribs are to die for. My wife, who normally will not eat meat, was even impressed. Her smoked turkey sandwich was piled 5-6 inches high with the sweetest, juiciest, smoked turkey and covered with a dome of homemade slaw.

By the time we finished our meal, including a wonderful porter brewed from hops smoked on the premises, our bill was less that $30 and it was approaching 1:00 pm. We noticed, as we left, a handwritten sign on the door, "Sold Out, Sorry!"

Franklin is only open a few hours for the lucky patrons who are willing to stand in line for what may very well be the best in Texas, but next time I will remember to bring a chair and a bigger appetite!

• Visited April 2013
Yonkers, NY
“a long wait but wow it was good”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I had great expectations from this place after seeing them all over the food channel and wow they didnt let down.I arrived about 10 am to a long line and i said we were not going to leave until we ate.A lady came out with scare tactics that they were running out of food and i stayed anyways on line and i ended up ordering a pound of ribs and a pound of brisket.The brisket was amazing and i wondered why these people arent open all day.I tried to return on a saturday and the line was about 3 blocks long and it was very hot so we decided to skip it.If you do get a chance to eat here order the banana bourbon tart for dessert you will thank me.

Visited April 2013

Been to Franklin Barbecue? Share your experiences!