“Worth the wait.”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: East Austin
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was skeptical. Wait in line for an hour and a half when I could get decent barbecue anywhere in town? I admit it, I was wrong. This is the best barbecue I have ever had. The pulled pork was out of this world. The hour and a half wait was made bearable by the fact that beer was served. The only "problem" was that by the time we ordered, we were so hungry that we asked for way too much food! I'm sure this is a common mistake. If you get a chance, go to Franklin Barbecue, it helps make for a great Austin experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I knew that when we arrived that there would be a line and a wait bc I saw the place on "No Reservations". I will warn you now that if you don't get there by 8.30-9, then you will be waiting in line for about a couple of hours. I have been told that sometimes they will give out beers or other drinks and they allow you to use their bathroom while you wait. The people that work there are sooo very nice as well. So the waiting in line wasn't a terrible experience. We got there at 10 am and got our food at 12 and it was worth the wait. The barbeque at this place is the BEST that I have EVER had. We tried the brisket, the pork ribs, the sausage and the turkey. The brisket was so juicy and flavorful. The ribs were fall off the bone. The sausage had the right seasonings and the turkey was so juicy and full of flavor. I will wait for 4hrs if I have to. This place is AWESOME.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

While at SxSW I visited Stubbs, Ironworks, Salt Lick and Franklin's and Franklin's wins. Keep in mind there is in fact a line and they do just run out and close shop just after lunch, so plan accordingly. Its on the other side of the highway, and while totally walk able its not in "Downtown". Brisket #1. Followed close by Stubbs with tons of sauce. I also don't love dry rub...so if thats your thing Stubbs was probably better.

1  Thank v'nes
Reviewed March 14, 2013

To be fair, I got there at 1pm and still got to eat, but I waited an hour and they only had chopped beef and sausage left - and only 3 other people behind me got to eat with just chopped beef left.

That being said, the chopped beef and sausage were AMAZING, but I sure did salivate over the ribs I saw other people eating. They looked perfect. I mean, you could see and smell the perfection. I can't imagine what they must have tasted like.

I'd skip the potato salad unless you're a fan of heavy mustard. I ate the coleslaw with the beef, but alone it wouldn't have been anything worth a mention. Community dining was fun (There aren't many tables inside and only a handful more outside) and I sat with a really nice family.

I wouldn't bank on calling ahead either. I tried that and they just let the phone ring and ring without any answer of voice mail, so like the title says, "Yes, you really do have to wait in line."

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We came here to wait for a table since 9:30am, and finally sat down around 12:30....the food are gorgeous but we ordered too much :( lol