“Not just brisket!”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: East Austin
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Yes, you will wait a long time. Everything you hear about the lines are true. We got there before 11a, and were the second to last people to the end of the line before they were sold out.
We waited more than 2 hours. Luckily they have a fairly good system in place to ensure that people don't wait in line for hours only to discover that they are sold out before you reach the counter.
Someone from the restaurant takes a rough order for everyone in line. She then calculates how much total everyone will order and from there can tell where in the line they will sell out. They tell the last person they can accomodate to hold a sign stating "sold out" so no one gets in line behind them and wastes their time. Of course, some people will drop out of line so if you are feeling lucky and want to try to jump in behind the last person, or try to time it so you get there as the line is ending to see if there is anything left, it might be worth it.
The same person to take the rough orders also comes out later to sell drinks to those waiting to make the time go by a bit easier...beer, soda.
On to the food.....
I have been known to wait in line for truly great food. I was a bit hesitant about this line because it really is long. I had read so much about this place, though, that I had readied myself for the wait.
I'm glad I did. And I would do it again.
We ordered brisket, ribs and sausage.
Brisket: best I have ever had. Hands down. Nothing much more I can say that hasn't been said before
Ribs: I don't even really like ribs and I could eat these every day. Fall of the bone tender full of flavor. Can't describe how good these were.
Sausage: Good but nothing to write home about.
Friendly service too. I always love it when a restaurant is super popular and awesome yet the people are still just really nice.
I should add:
while in Austin, we made the trip to Lockhart which is about 45 minutes away and a barbecue mecca. We ate at Blacks and Smittys. Blacks was OK, Smittys was great, but Franklin....beats them both.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Go Early, line up with the faithfuls and bring your coffee. They usually run out by 2 pm on a normal day. The brisket is ridiculously good, best I've ever had. The ribs are amazing. The sides are ok, pretty uneventful. It's all about the Barbeque, go early, often and prepare to be amazed. They'll ask you if you want a lean or fatty cut and a nice man in line told me the taste is in the fat. Even though I got the lean there was plenty of good taste.

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Everything you've read is true. Now I know why brisket is good.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have read a lot of pretty amazing reviews of Franklin’s and had missed out on it last time I was near Austin so made sure that my itinerary was scheduled around a visit here. I arrived just before 10:00 am to find only a few people in line but within 30 minutes the line was 100 deep…maybe more. Around 10:45 a young lady came out and began to tally folks’ orders to get an idea of when to tell those arriving that the food will likely be gone. I got a photo of the tally and if I remember correctly it indicated around 150 pounds of beef and 70 slabs of ribs were available…if I was reading the tally correctly. Once I upload my photos I’ll take a closer look. In any event I ended up being #3 at the cutting line just before 11:00 am and ordered a 3 meat plate of ribs, brisket and sausage along with another 2 meat plate of turkey and pulled pork (I felt like I should try it all). A Lone Star was just the ticket to get me started this morning as well. I was amazed at the volume of meat that came on these mixed plates. I did have my wife with me to help eat our way through the mountains of meat. We retired to a picnic table outside and began the feast. The brisket and ribs are truly and absolutely amazing…like nothing I have ever had before. The brisket had a huge layer of bark, was super juicy and incredibly tender (both the wet and dry portions). There had to be at least ½ pound of brisket included on the plate. Ribs had a nice salt and pepper crust but a sweetness as well…not a sugar sweet, something else that was delicious. Far and away the best brisket and ribs I have EVER eaten. Sausage was excellent as well and was essentially a mix between my Kansas City style polish sausage and the Central Texas style sausage. Turkey is not normally on my order list when in Texas but I had to try it along with pulled pork. While the pulled pork was good it wasn’t entirely memorable and needed a bit of the Carolina style sauce provided on the table (one of three choices). The turkey was amazing as well as it stayed juicy and had the same type of coating as the ribs. We did have a bit of coleslaw as sides came on the plates and it was better than most. The Carolina sauce was good. There were two other sauces, once of which was a standard sweet smoky sauce and the other a darker spicier sauce that had an anise/licorice flavor. Both were good not great but who cares the brisket, ribs and turkey needed nothing other than a bigger appetite. My wife and I pledged to eat small so that we could continue the journey throughout the day but we couldn’t help ourselves and overindulged. I don’t regret it though because I will dream of returning as soon as possible. Overall Score: 5.0 Stars (I would give it 6 stars if that were available)

2  Thank RastamanInKansas
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Pretty much everybody knows about the line and should expect to wait at least an hour in line if you arrive around normal lunch hours. The Brisket is out of this world, not sure I have ever experienced any brisket more tender than at Franklin. Ribs were excellent as well, meat just fell off the bone. If you like to gnaw the meat off your ribs, you came to the wrong place. The Tipsy Texas Sandwich is also a crowd pleaser, pulled pork, sausage and cole slaw all on one sandwich. Sides are all standard bbq fare, potato salad, cole slaw and beans. If you ate all your bbq and still have room, try the bourban banana, key lime, or pecan pie.

1  Thank swTXSU