“Best Stay in a W Hotel Yet”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #20 of 202 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We were staying in Austin for 2 days while we scouted the city for a potential relocation. My husband and I were traveling with my 2 year old daughter. We have always traveled a lot and stayed at many different hotels in our time, many of them being SPG. I cannot say how happy we were with this particular experience. I'm not sure if it was because the W Austin is brand new, or that it's just that Texans are very friendly people, but this was hands-down the best hotel stay of all time. The staff were incredibly responsive to our needs and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable, a fact I told the manager upon checking out. For example, the girl who brought us room service even called us 10 mins later to say she was bringing us a new bowl of ice cream as she noticed the first bowl was already melting, and they were very accommodating when I asked if we could have a very late checkout seeing my daughter needed to nap before we got on the plane. We used many of the services of the hotel in those 2 short days, including valet parking (the guys we great) and we even left our shirts in the wardrobe and had them Fedexed back to us – no problem at all and all done with a big smile. The room was gorgeous, squeaky clean and definitely roomy enough for a family of 3. Good on you W Austin, you get 10/10 from this guest.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed January 31, 2011

The Austin W is new so one might expect a few bugs. But I didn't expect what I found. It has repeated problems with the elevators -- as in they stop working. You stand on your floor and wait -- and wait -- and then wait longer. We called and a staff member finally came and took us down the freight elevator. We were late for dinner.
The first morning we were there we left the room at 9:30 a.m. The maid was ten feet from the door and I told her we were leaving and to please go ahead and make up the room. She said "okay" and saw me remove the "privacy" sign from the door. We returned to the room at 3:30 p.m. only to find it untouched.
The lobby level has several bars which are quite active on weekend nights. If you are over 25, you raise the average age of the patrons in the bars. There is little parking near the W so valet is really the only option -- at $29 per night. Because of the bar traffic, the valet lines can be extremely long. The last night we were at the W I waited ten minutes in the valet line without moving when returning to the hotel.
I had asked for a "high floor" when I reserved the room. I was given a room on the seventh floor -- the hotel goes up to floor 16. The seventh floor has a great view of the HVAC equipment on the roof of the next building over. So much for requesting a high floor. When I saw the view I asked for a higher floor and was told none was available in our class of room (corner suite).
On top of all this, the rooms are smallish. We had a corner suite, which was adequate in size and no better. The rooms also have some design issues which are so fundamental that its really hard to believe that the rooms were built the way they were. There are no drawers. None. There is a very small closet but not a drawer in the place. The bathroom has no door. The potty room itself has a door -- the bathroom does not. So best of luck if you want even minimal privacy.
The W is not cheap -- by Austin standards its an expensive hotel. I would not stay at the W again if they paid me.

3  Thank wirepaladin08
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I knew the hotel was still pretty new so I was a little worried about the service, but besides a few slight issues, everything was wonderful. We are platinum spg members so we were upgraded to a suite with a separate sitting area which was awesome.

The room was fantastic, so stylish, but functional, it seemed like they really though of everything. The sitting room was great, the couch, which trendy, was actually comfortable, they even had a throw blanket on the foot of the bed we could bring to use while laying on the couch. The TV was huge and actually had a full guide of programs loaded on (like normal cable, so you could actually see what was on every channel).

The shower and bathroom area were great, complete with a little window seat. There was even an outdoor balcony area, unfortunately it rained the whole time we were there. The bed was comfy and the TV that pulled out from the wall was great.

We parked our car at the hotel one night, but I'd recommend doing self-parking right across the street. I think it's $7 overnight vs. $30 at the hotel. It's literally right across the street. Service throughout the hotel was excellent, everyone was really helpful and friendly. The concierge made us dinner reservations, gave us an umbrella, etc.

When we checked in, we went upstairs and neither of the keys worked, which was kind of a pain. We convinced one of the housekeepers to let us into the room so we didn't have to go back downstairs, and when we got in the room, there was a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. I was thrilled until I saw a note from the hotel with another name on the card. I was a little worried we weren't in the right room, and even if we were, I felt bad using what clearly wasn't for us -- even though it wasn't our fault they made a mistake! So I called down to let them know. They said we were in the right room and said they'd come get the note, etc. I was shocked when they actually took the champagne and strawberries away and offered us 2 free drink cards at their bar. I'm not complaining, but I could have just as easily not said anything. I wouldn't do that but I'm just surprised that since it was their error, they didn't just let us keep the amenities. Not a huge deal though.

We did have drinks downstairs - it was quite a scene! Good drinks, great atmosphere and even with a fairly big space, it was very crowded. We also had food from room service and it as pretty good. They forgot to bring mustard as requested and when we asked for the fries to be swapped out for a salad, they essentially gave us a whole side salad instead (not sure if they charged us or not). The food came fast though.

The only other issue we had was when we were leaving the hotel. We checked out and the guy asked us if we needed to see our bill or if he could just email it to us. I asked - were there any other charges besides room service and parking? he said no, so we said, that's fine, you can just emall it. When we got to the airport, my husband saw that they had charged us for Internet, which should be free since we're starwood platinum (and they confirmed this to me when I called down to ask how to access the internet). My husband emailed them to remove the charges, no reply. I then called, spoke to someone in accounting who was able to take care of it immediately, but it was definitely an annoying thing to have to follow up on.

The hotel has a great location and nice views over the river. It's close to many downtown restaurants and overall, I really loved the hotel. The design was stylish, rooms were great and service was good. They still have a few kinks to work out, but overall it was better than expected (since I know staying at brand-new hotels can be risky).

Reviewed January 24, 2011

My son came for R & R in the military from Afghanistan. He said the service was so personable that it felt like home again. Thank you for giving him that security and special feeling. He does plan to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Finally - there is a great, first-class alternative to the Four Seasons in Austin! The "W" Austin is so elegant and hip, it sort of makes the Four Seasons feel slightly dated. The rooms are gorgeous with fabulous beds and cool baths. I thought the staff was exceedingly friendly and helpful - no attitude despite their posh surroundings. The bar scene is AMAZING! Each separate bar has a different feel...from the "Library" with its stunning fireplace..to the dark, pulsating official bar...to the brighter and more casual "Porch" which is great for a good visit. You walk into any of these rooms and instantly feel like having a martini, and the people watching is worth a night's entertainment in itself - quite the happening scene! Though a little tricky to find, Trace restaurant is really great w/ such an interesting menu. Try the octopus or quail appetizers, the charcuterie board (fun for the whole table to graze on) or the crispy snapper. All were outstanding. If you want to avoid the bar scene, but go to the restaurant, you can easily enter from in front of the hotel. Don't listen to the whiners...the "W" is awesome!

Reviewed January 21, 2011

Don't know what I was really expecting, but here's what I got: a comfortable bed, large bathroom, comfortable chair for work, good view, super friendly staff. Here's what I also got: a TV that didn't work, a light behind the bed that simply wouldn't turn off and required someone to come up and deal with it before I went to bed (the only staff member who wasn't extremely nice), kinda cheap furniture and an overall cheap feel to the place (think IKEA), and a signature scent that pervades the place, in the elevator, in the room, really, it's quite intentional, can't be an accident. Conclusion: hipsters are real people too but they're young and don't have all the details right. OH and it drives me crazy when expensive places don't have tea or coffee equipment in a room.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank jterran
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The W Austin is a fairly nice hotel albeit with smaller tha expected rooms. That being said, I will never stay there gain or patronize the bar or restaurant due to their super strict no smoking anywhere on the property policy. I can understand having smoke free rooms and interior spaces but forcing guests who are paying in excess of $300 per night to LEAVE THE PROPERTY in order to have a smoke is just foolish. You would think a hotel who supposedly caters to a younger, affluent, international crowd would have their target demo figured out a little better than this. Why not have one exterior space away from others where guests can have a drink and a smoke?

This place is not for us.

1  Thank jeremyj1234