“Austin 10/20”

GreenLeadersGold level
Grinnell, Iowa
“Austin 10/20”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I really liked the room - a 1 bedroom suite. One person could watch tv or shower without disturbing someone asleep. The soaker tub was great after the race. Our room included breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. I enjoyed the shrimp and grits. The minor downsides are the loud music on saturday night from downtown and the young college kids at the pool on friday. The pool was a nice place to grab a drink and relax though.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in your suite. I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed dining at Trace. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Chicago
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This review is based on my last stay at the W, Late May-June 2014. I picked the location as I was in town to attend a concert. Location is fantastic for downtown Austin. The room is clean... comfortable. The housekeeping staff was friendly. Sunday Brunch at TRACE is wonderful. The food was good... they have a live jazz band. I had some relatives dining with me from the area, they enjoyed it. The staff was very friendly to them... even with the 4 year old. Everyone at TRACE made us feel welcome. My issue with the hotel was the young lady who checked me into the hotel. She was cold, unfriendly.... she wanted nothing to do with me and wanted me out of her life as soon as possible. That may not be the case, but that was the vibe she was giving off. I have checked in and out of hotels hundreds of times at various hotel chains and this was about as cold as it gets. Not good.... terrible. That being said everyone else at the hotel was very nice.... the valet was quick... friendly. I would stay at this hotel again; however, if I saw a certain person at the front desk I would wait an hour to speak with the next available associate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank avillebud
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and dining at Trace. Thank you also for the feedback regarding my team and your check-in experience. We strive for a superior customer service experience, so should you be open to discussing your stay further I'd very much like to hear from you so that I may address your feedback with my team. I can be reached at GMWAustin@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I travel to Austin on business a few times a year and always prefer to stay at the W hotel. It's downtown location is great, the service is excellent, and bar and overall mood is exciting. There is always a lot of energy at the W, and the restaurant choices within walking distance is very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

W Austin was a great experience. It is in a good location. Close to food, bars, shopping, etc. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and modern. Austin is an awesome city to visit and I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends or family traveling to Austin.

• Stayed September 2013
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Spent 3 nights in Austin with our adult daughter after a family wedding. No complaints here. I would gladly return, especially if able to again book with SPG points. Two minor complaints: I would have preferred a room facing the water and pool areas. The hotel wi-fi was also quite slow. I ended up using my phone as a hot spot for much of my work.

Test the friendly staff. From the valets through the lobby and on to housekeeping. Everyone made me feel like I was a valued guest.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that my team was able to make your stay more memorable. Thank you also for the feedback regarding Internet speed, as that is something I can address with my team. We hope to see you back again soon, and in the future invite you to personally connect with me at GMWAustin@whotels.com so that we may ensure that you have a room with a lake view. Thank you again for your feedback.

New York City, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have stayed many times at this well located hotel in the center of Downtown for business. The staff is mostly helpful, except for one few shockingly rude moody male concierge. It is " THE" hip hotel of Austin and especially on weekends attracts a very young, very good looking crowd not only to their Bars but to their lovely pool area.The restaurant Trace is very good and has a wonderful staff and managers who are attentive and well trained. I entertain there frequently for business. The rooms have a cool factor but VERY small closets and in some rooms no drawer for clothes, they use baskets instead. NOT a fan of the public spaces, I find them disjointed and unappealing. I have and will return because in all it it a great choice in Downtown.

Room Tip: Any high floor facing the lake!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoy our location while visiting Austin. We strive for a superior customer service experience across all facets of the hotel, so should you be open to discussing your stay further and your experience with our concierge team, I would be very appreciative. I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com. Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

I've booked 3 separate nights at this hotel in the last 3 months plus stayed there one other time previously (which I've already reviewed). The staff is overwhelmingly friendly and has been generous with room upgrades and Andi at the front desk especially impressed me with her professionalism, warmth, and follow-up skills. However, for the very high rack rates charged by this hotel, the missteps on my last visit were hard to overlook. When I arrived in my room, it had no bath towels, a sink basin half-full of water and a drain that was stuck closed, and someone's discarded personal papers strewn across the desk. Towels were quickly delivered and when I returned to my room after dinner, I found a plate of chocolates and a handwritten note apologizing for the inconveniences....AND I found that my sink drain was STILL stuck and the basin STILL half-full of water. Engineering quickly resolved the problem, but things like that should be addressed the first time, not after midnight following a second call to an operator who addressed my complaint with "uh-huh?".

Upon preparing for check-out, Daniel (the manager on duty at 7am) attempted to charge me a "pet fee" for my trained service dog who has stayed with me at this hotel twice previously without that fee and was announced as a service animal upon check-in, just as I've done previously here. Daniel asked for written certification proving that my dog (a well-groomed and impeccably-behaved Golden Retriever who was professionally trained for over 30 weeks to assist me with a potentially life-threatening medical condition) is indeed a service animal. When I insisted that such a request is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and read the relevant section stating exactly that from the ADA.gov website, the fee was removed from my bill but he nonetheless had the audacity to ask me to bring my "certification" the next time I stay with my dog. Such an interaction is embarrassing, unpleasant, unprofessional, and in my opinion illegal (I am not a lawyer, but I've never endured any request or conversation like this at the Four Seasons, the Hotel San Jose, or at this exact hotel).

I would recommend this hotel to people who want a trendy, contemporary atmosphere with overwhelmingly friendly employees and to anyone who is able to find a discounted rate via third-party booking sites.

I would NOT recommend it to anyone expecting five-star service commensurate with the five-star rack rate or anyone traveling with a service animal who values their personal privacy and dignity.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
EmilyWHotelATX, Public Relations Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Hello, and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback - your experience during this recent stay this is not the service level we strive for here and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I would like to put you in touch with Drew McQuade, our General Manager, so he can personally discuss with you. Please email GMWaustin@whotels.com and he will get in touch with you.

Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to talking more soon.

Emily Teachout, Social Media Manager