“Indeed One of the BEST W hotels”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #22 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I am having W Austin withdrawals. I travel close to 200 nights a year and miss the W Austin. My last stay was In October. Aside from some items missing when I checked out, it is always a great experience.
The service is the BEST W experience in the country. I am not kidding. I stayed already 8 times the past year and they never miss. Tony is special, a real special person. Joanna is a wonderful, caring room director who will always want to please with passion.
The living room has great servers who are friendly, and really like what they do!
The spa is great, pool scene and employees are fabulous. Work out gym is one of the best...
Trace restaurant can be hit or miss but they really try and the ingredients are fresh. I know it will be better.
I am arriving with my husband this month and hopefully will stay at The W Austin, I just love it there!!!
Not kidding, they are trained well here...GOOOO! Excellent...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. i am so thrilled to hear that my team has been able to make such a tremendous impact during your many stays.

Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back soon!

Warm Regards
Drew McQuade

Write a ReviewReviews (1,248)

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Family one night stay for April. Hotel canceled the confirmed reservation because they had intended to get more money for the room. Technical error? No. Just shoddy work+nobody double checking= trying to weasel out later with slimy legalese. In 15 years I have never been allowed to cancel a non-refundable room. Same old story the consumer loses and the companies play by their own rules.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank JTT129

Thank you for your review. We value the loyalty of our guests and that was reflected in our desire to quickly respond to those who were affected with an offer of a 40%-60% discount off the prevailing rate. We are sorry that you remain dissatisfied that we could not honor the $18 - $40 rates that were published in error.

I understand that you are currently in communication with my team and the Starwood Hotels and Resorts Consumer Affairs office, but if you would like to discuss your experience further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Similar to other reports I feel I have been scammed by the hotel, where they wont honor the price I had on my reservation. There are good aspects with the hotel, but when you feel cheated you just cant do anything than recommend others to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank gumball997

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Booked a rate at what I believed to be a sale price, but was contacted 48 hours later claiming the rate was 'in error', and offering to let me stay for a rate 10x the rate I agreed to. At no time was any consideration given to plans that may have been made, or other rates that I could have booked if I had not thought I had a confirmed reservation. The hotel and the Corporate office have confirmed that ANY rate can be canceled or changed if they feel that it was 'in error', and there is no time limit for when they feel errors need to be declared by. Be VERY careful about booking here, as you cannot be sure if your reservation will be honored!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank joelfreak
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback regarding your recent reservation. Let me express, once again, our sincerest apologies for any frustration that our communication regarding the unusually low rate you were able to book may have caused. I am sorry that we could honor the rate, which was published in error.

I understand you are in discussions with my team now in hope of finding an agreeable resolution. Should you be open to discussing your experience with me further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or drew.mcquade@whotels.com.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The Austin W is the best and only place I stay in Austin. I have stayed there multiple times and will continue to for the foreseeable future. The atmosphere is fun and the location is unbeatable. Most recently I was there for a bachelor party and everyone had an amazing time. The hotel bar offers a great night scene however the bartenders are friendly and knowledgeable all day as well. Not only is the W located in the heart of downtown near dozens of great restaurants, but it’s walking distance to 6th street and the rest of Austin’s great nightlife. The W pool is great and if you want to really be outside, Town Lake is less than a block away too. Can’t wait for the next time I plan a trip to Austin because I already know where I’ll be staying.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris C
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Hi Chris, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the atmosphere that we offer. Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed March 26, 2014

The customer service here is fantastic. They accommodate any request without delay and the staff are all extremely helpful and friendly. The downtown location is perfect, within walking distance to many great bars and restaurants as well as being two blocks away from the running trails by the river. When I return to Austin, I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to the trail.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed March 19, 2014

This is a great hotel for all of the reasons you would choose to stay at a hotel- great location, excellent amenities, and beautiful rooms. However, it is the customer service here that makes this hotel stand head and heels above the rest. Everyone in the hotel is extremely helpful and caring. They do all within their power to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable.

I traveled during SXSW when the city was crazed. It was impossible to find cars however the concierge always was willing to work with me and find a car to suit my needs in a timely manner. Also, I happened to leave a few things behind in the hotel and the security team there was gracious enough to locate my items right away and ship it to me free of charge. This place really goes above and beyond in terms of customer satisfaction. I will definitely stay here any time I go to Austin!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Hello Joanna,
Thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit over SXSW with us. I'm also glad to hear that my team was able to assist in recovering your lost items. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!