W Austin
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
The Driskill(Austin)
1,268 results
All reviewswet decktrace restaurantbliss productscorner suiteliving roomhip hotelmoody theaterchocolate covered strawberriesfour seasonslady bird lakehotel barheart of downtownlive musictown lakevalet parkingfitness centerconcierge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I planned on staying at the Domain Westin, but it was oversold and I went to the W instead. The W has a definitely more Modern style than previous hotels I visited. The room I had was small with a Modern design and decor. It was interesting, and I could not say I disliked it, but it was not my favorite either. The hotel is centrally located in downtown and there were places available for dinner nearby. The lobby area and amenities are very nice and comfortable. This was probably the best part of the stay. Would I stay there again? Yes I would. Do I recommend? Well, it depends on if you like this style.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the W Austin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your downtown stay and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I like the Westin brand and was really looking forward to checking out the more fashionable W.

Alas, while the property is well designed and feels appropriate for evening activities, I didn't think it translated too well into daylight hours. I enjoy well-lit hallways; neutral/light coloured walls; windows and daylight in common areas as well as rooms; and doors for bathrooms. This place has a dark grey-red color theme, spotty accent lighting, and sinks and showers that are in the front area of the rooms (the toilet does have a door, thankfully).

I was told there was no way to connect a laptop to a wifi network in the business centre, rendering the space a pricey, self-serve print shop.

On the bright side, the customer service is great (including terrific cleaning personnel), the gym is large, has modern equipment and two walls of windows, and the location is hard to beat.

For a special romantic weekend, the place would be nice. For a business traveler, it feels a bit off.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I appreciate your feedback regarding our design and my apologies that the aesthetic did not meet your needs. We offer a variety of room types, and have privacy curtains for any open shower room types. Additionally, we do offer complimentary Internet Access in our Living Room space, and our concierge would be happy to assist with any printing needs you might have in the future.

I hope to see you again soon, and should you choose to stay I would love to personally assist with your reservation. I can be reached at gmwaustin@whotels.com or 512-542-3633.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Please understand that I have heard so many awesome words to describe the W Hotel chain that I thought I would find myself in hotel Nirvana, and if it weren't for the storage, I would definitely be very happy.

Pros:

* Beyond belief customer service
* Exquisite room design
* Everything works

Cons:

* Wicker baskets for socks and underwear
* No dresser anywhere
* All open surfaces have some pamphlet, tray, ad, or ketchy thing lauding the wonderfulness that is the ever-awesome W brand, forever be it praised

I'm a business traveler, and I have been in all types of hotels, from cockroach-infested hostels in podunk little towns to five-star hotels in major metropolitan areas. I also happen to be an IT professional, and as a result, I carry with me a paraphernalia of hardware (laptop, tablet, portable hard drive, smart phone) that require electrical connections and storage space. In addition, I have to carry clothes for getting down and dirty and also better clothing to meet a client for a meal at a nice eatery. This does not include any paper (yes, actual paper) that I may be required to carry with to conduct my business.

All this requires storage space ... lots to storage space.

I have managed to get all my travel clothing, accessories, and assorted paraphernalia to one geek backpack and one overhead compartment piece of luggage. This is not an immense amount of stuff to carry around for a week-long business trip.

I usually can fit all of it in a hotel's closet and a dresser.

No dresser in this beautifully designed room ... and only little piddling wicker baskets to put my unmentionables in. In addition, I can't even get any work done because all available surfaces have some W merchandise, and it would appear that moving them would screw with the Feng Chui of the room.

For the amount of money my employer is paying, I was expecting better.

Wicker baskets indeed.

Room Tip: If you're an IT geek that needs to store materiel in nooks and crannies ... go somewhere else. This place is like the ornamental girlfriend -- beautiful and poised, but for all practical purposes, quite useless.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hello and thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I very much appreciate you sharing your experience, as we strive for a seamless experience suited for all travelers and my apologies that our desk set-up and storage options did not meet your needs. Should you choose to stay with us again, I invite you to contact me directly at drew.mcquade@whotels.com or 512-542-3633 so that I may personally assist in ensuring we do all we can to make your stay more comfortable.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had the best time ever. I checked in only to find out that one of my FAVORITE bands was playing for free at the property that night! I was upgraded to a beautiful corner suite. Room service was amazing, as well as the drinks!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Hello Colleen, thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy your upgraded room and that your favorite band was playing.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

For the cost of this hotel you would assume they could include free wireless service. No matter how nice the 1st floor lobby is where I am able to access it, I want it wherever and whenever and that includes my room. Next stay in Austin I will stay where Wireless is offered for free! Oh, and a coffee maker in my room too!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding in-room wifi, thank you. We also would be happy to update your guest profile to ensure that you always have a coffee maker placed in-room. Would you mind following up at GMWAustin@whotels.com or 512-542-3633 so that we may update your guest profile information?