“Wonderful hotel in great city”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Austin
Santa Monica, California
“Wonderful hotel in great city”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Hotel staff was friendly and helpful; property was trendy yet homey. The sales and marketing coordinator gave me a tour of the property. Strong nightlight vibe; several lounge areas; full spa; outdoor pool with chairs and private cabanas. Highly recommend for business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are nice
Green Features: Water-efficient bathroom fixtures. I was happy with what I observed. The air cond was eco friendly
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the amenities that we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I loved my stay here, beautiful room - amenities, comfortable bed but the only downside was I didn't have a bath in my room. A huge shout out to Caleb at the W who looked after me from the moment I walked it from check-in, to helping me with local tips and just being a friendly face around the hotel.

Green Features: great recycling program in the rooms and around the hotel!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our Insider, Caleb was able to make your stay more memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 12, 2014

W Austin is a great combination of cool amazing design and warm personal service. From the pool area to the downstairs lounge to the public areas and the rooms, it is obvious that the hotel was created for people who appreciate progressive design - lots of little touches like the chess sets in the lobby to the record album room in the lounge to the way the swimming pool and deck are configured. Sometimes when you find a hotel like that, you find it staffed by people who are so busy being cool that they forget they have guests - this is definitely NOT the case with W Austin. From the minute we arrived, the valet, doorman and front desk all were warm, friendly and helpful. Like most W Hotels, it seems is was created with couples in mind; however, our 17 year old traveling with us fit right in and enjoyed it right along with us. (The hotel will be happy to put a privacy curtain to make up for the absence of a bathroom door if you ask.) Parking is a bit expensive, but not out of line when you consider other city locations and remember that you are in downtown Austin where you are often lucky to find parking at all. The location is great, and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed our design and that my team was able to make your stay more memorable. Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!

Lake Charles
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We have stayed at the W in Austin a couple of times and the staff were most helpful. The rooms and view of the lake were wonderful. The location is ideal if you are attending any events at the Austin City Limits theater or any of the clubs in the vicinity.
Recently I left behind my tablet charger and phoned upon my return several days later(after searching everywhere). They were able to locate it and sent it by FedEx overnight . It was a great help and relief. Needless to say, my tablet is 're-energized'
We look forward to our next visit

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I’m so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our RISK team was able to secure your tablet charger. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you back again soon!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The moment I pulled up to the W in Austin, i loved it . On the left of the front door, there is a immaculate, cozy lounge with drinks you can buy and a chess set with the corners up and the pieces have curved bottoms so they don't fall when you pick the board up. Next to the whatever-whenever desk, there is a old-timey typewriter you can write things on. My room itself was immaculate, and my bed was very comfy. Their restaurant, Trace, was cool. The menu was held on a wood slab, and the food was to everyones liking. The concierges were nice, and one in particular, Jason, was very funny, nice to kids, and gave good advice on where to go for tourists. At the front desk, they have video rentals. If you have a car, they park it for you and when you go somewhere they drive it to the curb for you very fast.
Overall, this immediately went on my list of "Best hotels ever".

Room Tip: Get 2 rooms that connect on the higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and that Jason was able to make it more memorable. We're so pleased to have made your prestigious list, and hope that we see you again soon.

Austin
Reviewed January 1, 2014

From the second we pulled up to the Valet, I was impressed by the customer service at W Austin. I was greeted by name with eye contact by each member of the staff. Lauren at the front desk was helpful in orienting us to the facility as it was our first stay & we saw her again early the next morning as well - smiling and helpful as ever.

The rooms are gorgeously appointed. Modern, but comfortable. Abundantly elegant and stylish. Even the stationary is beautiful yet current/on trend. I could live here.... it's just that well put together. Our room was on the 10th floor and we were offered a city view which we took even though Lauren warned us we might hear a bit more noise on that side of the building. (We could hear a band from a nearby club, but it wasn't enough to effect our sleep.) I'll post a picture of our view. I'm very familiar with Austin since I live/grew up here, but the view was stunning nonetheless. We were right behind the elevators, but the hotel is so well constructed that I never once heard any sounds from the elevator moving.

Trace is their restaurant, and we had breakfast there. Good food. Not ridiculously priced. I had the migas and coffee, and my husband enjoyed the omelet. (There was also a gulf-coast shrimp & grits that caught my eye!) The waiter made sure I had a to-go coffee before we finished.

Upon checkout, Lauren called ahead to the Valet to bring our car & they brought it around quickly even though they were quite busy, again greeting us by name. As they loaded our bags into the car I could hear the Valet asking my husband if there was anything his team could have done to make our stay even better.... I thought to myself, "not a chance.. this is heaven" ;) He then ran over to their stand and brought us two bottled waters for the road.

I absolutely 100% recommend this hotel. Out of this world service. I loved it.

Note: I mentioned when booking online that this trip was for our anniversary. When my husband and I returned to our room after some drinks and dinner out (La Condessa is delish - I recommend it), we found a chilled bottle/champagne flutes & a note thanking us for choosing to stay at the W for our anniversary. (We had also been given two drink tickets upon check-in which we happily redeemed at the bar just off the lobby.)

Room Tip: A room with a river view would probably be quieter, but the city view is pretty wonderful :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us and that Lauren was able to make your stay more memorable. Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2013

If you yearn for modern, hip, cool, eclectic, design, with shades of industrial, arty, yet ever so elegant: look no further!! No question, this is my favorite hotel in Austin. There are no huge public spaces in this hotel, but rather the ambience of a special service boutique hotel. Off the entry, you will find two cozy, hip sitting/reading/drinking areas, one with fireplace, both with contemporary sofas and chairs. I can tell you I DEFINITELY enjoyed a smooth whiskey here after my nights out!!! You might expect a hotel experience like this in New York, Seattle, San Francisco, Dublin, or the Latin Quarter in Paris. I booked a "Corner Suite", based on the impressive photos. Surprise, and I was upgraded to a "Marvelous Suite": two bedroom kings, two bath, living room, dining area. Excellent décor with Austin music scene photos festooning the walls. Spacious, modern bathrooms, one with tub and shower, the other with beautiful glass enclosed shower...just excellent! (Please see the hotel photos for a taste of the décor). I'm unsure of the age of the property, but this was a well maintained hotel, definitley not shopworn and tired in appearance. But wait, there is more!! Younger, excellent staff, groomed to please and satisfy every request. Fitness room is adequate, with bikes, ellipticals, treadmills, yoga room, free weights and a variety of machines for a good workout. (I used to work as a fitness trainer.) The property is in downtown Austin, and perhaps within walking distance, but I used my car for the 3 to 5 minute drive to my chosen restaurants. The property is 4 blocks from popular Sixth Street. Christmas dinner was 4 course fixed menu, with excellent entrees and service to match. Room Service? The egg white omelet is orgasmic!! So, did I enjoy this hotel? Would I recommend? YES and YES!! With one proviso: my 80 year old grandmother probably wouldn't appreciate this hotel! ENJOY!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello Rick, thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your holiday stay with us and were able to take advantage of our many amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!