“Second Visit Even Better Than The First!”
Review of W Austin

W Austin
Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Austin
GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Second Visit Even Better Than The First!”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a quick weekend away at the W Austin. We went there last year back in the fall, and loved the hotel so much we decided to stay again.

Check-in was great. It was Friday at 4:00 - and a mob of folks were checking in. One computer went down, and our check in person handed us off to another person instead of making us wait. We were quickly checked in. I love the fruit water they have in the reception area.

We stayed in a Cool Corner Suite - very quiet, AWESOME bed, comfortable, great views, nice amenities.

We ordered room service breakfast both mornings, as well as late Saturday night dinner. Room service was quickly delivered each time, and the food was great.

We spent some time in the lounge/bar they call The Living Room. I love that bar - fireplace, cozy vibe, great servers (enjoyed sweet Samantha), super menu, and great happy hour prices. That bar is truly one of my favorite places in Austin.

The W's location is perfect. Centrally location downtown, yet close enough to Town Lake and South Congress.

I especially tip my hat to the staff at the W. Every single person we encountered was very, very nice, and always asked, "How's your stay going so far?"

Two minor problems - our huge and fantastic tub's stopper didn't work so we weren't able to use the bathtub which was so inviting, and the W's repair guy was unable to fix it. They have a wonderful charger station bedside, but no iPhone 5 charger in it. In fact, it's very difficult to find a plug to charge your phone bedside. We ended up charging our phones in the living room of our suite. Not a big deal, but we do use our phones as clocks and prefer our phones to be bedside. Seems to be a consistent issue with lots of hotels.

Love this hotel, its vibe and location, as well as the fantastic service and decor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
WAustinMgr, General Manager at W Austin, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that Samantha was able to make your stay more memorable. My sincerest apologies for the tub issue, but thank you for your understanding. We also have iPhone 5 chargers available to guests so thank you for that valuable feedback, and our apologies that your room didn't have one.

Thank you again for your feedback, we anxiously await your third visit!

Drew McQuade

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

It started with a question most hotels don't think to ask, "What brings you to Austin". Well it was my birthday and my wife and I decided to leave Chicago and spend 24 hours exploring Austin. The W is centrally located to everything you want to do in town, absolutely cool and when they ask a question they really listen to the answer. At the conclusion of our first day in Austin there was a sweet treat waiting for us in the room along with a thoughtful birthday card. It's the best place to stay

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank illini13
Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your birthday stay with us! My team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the W. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Plus, the rooms were super quiet, which allowed us to sleep in which was nice. We left something behind and the staff took care of sending it to us right away. Thank you, W, for a good experience!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our RISK team was able to recover your item.

Thank you again for the feedback, we look forward to seeing you back again soon!

Dublin, Éire
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Checkin: Great service as always. One complaint; they have a very small lobby which, when hosting a conference, can mean it's difficult to get through the crowds to get to the elevators.

Rooms: Lovely, clean, that usual high standard. My bathroom had a small shower with a small, but very deep tub. This was surprisingly lovely, except for the fact it was so high it was difficult to get in and out of. A step maybe? Also the towels were a little rough and stringy.

Room service: Surprisingly bad experience. 22% service charge, with a $4 delivery fee. My burger and fries was $20+. Insane. The burger was way overcooked and the fries were cold. Expected a lot more from a W, it's hard to get burger and fries wrong.

Location: Excellent and convenient for getting around.

Bedroom: Really comfortable bed. I was in room 1221, and I didnt hear a sound sound for my whole three nights.

Green Features: They let you opt out of room service for extra points, totally worth it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your feedback about your stay. My sincerest apologies for your underwhelming in-room dining experience and room type dissatisfaction. For any future reservation requests or if you’d like to discuss your recent stay, I invite you to contact me at 512-542-3633 or gmwaustin@whotels.com and I would be happy to explore various room options with you that you might enjoy more.

Thank you again for your feedback, I appreciate it. I hope to connect soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The W Austin is a mixed property of residences and hotel, thus the the lower floors are reserved for the Hotel up to floor 16. The property features a variety of accommodations, this time around I was upgraded using a Starwood Suites night award to a Corner Room Suite. The Suite features a living room with a large L shaped couch, large working desk (uncomfortable desk chair) that runs into the open bathroom (Sink, Shower Stall, Soaking Tub) and a separate toilet area and the corner of the Suite is the bedroom area. As you would expect at the W the style is Contemporary however in this property not always functional. Example the bedroom which is tight for space and has no draw space in the night stands, nor the closet that contains just two baskets. Special lighting is abound in the Suite with bed board lights, and shelf lights in the living room that add a nice softer touch /glow . The sinking tub is always a welcome touch, and overlooks downtown Austin via a larger picture window next to it. The suite was well maintained/cleaned however when they serviced it for my stay they forgot to replenish /replace wash cloths, shampoo, water. Enough on the suite lets talk about the rest of the hotel property...Arrival was good with dropping my car off with the Valet /Wheels staff, and welcome desk offered a friendly caring touch. The rest of the property is laid out such that it is a maze ...The "Cafe" is located in the living room area (this is where continental breakfast is served and cocktails/snacks later in the day) it fills up fast especially in the evening and has adjacent to it a library room. A bar is also off these two rooms called SIP and a restaurant behind it called Trace. I did have breakfast daily at Trace which had a good full breakfast offering , although the service was spotty my second visit despite being one of only a few customers there. The Fit gym is large and complete in offering a great work out experience. As it was very cold during my stay did not take advantage of the pool areas which are expansive. As a loyal lifetime SPG Platinum guest I have visited many other W properties and would rate this as average at best, and question the real value paid for a luxury hotel which to me is not to experience concerns, omissions, shortcomings, etc. The wow factor was just not there and doubtful that I would return to this property. They are building a new JD Marriott downtown Austin perhaps that will drive more competition......

Room Tip: Request highest floor possible and lake view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your recent review of the W Austin. We appreciate feedback from all guests and especially yours as a valued member of our SPG family. My sincerest apologies for the service issues you experienced at Trace, as superior customer service is something we strive for. I'm disappointed to hear that your stay was not what you are accustomed to and would very much like to hear more so that I may address with my team. Should you be open to discussing your stay further, I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or GMWAustin@whotels.com.

Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to connecting.

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was staying at the W a couple of weeks ago and ended up having to go to the ER for a minor emergency before travleing back home. THANK YOU to Nicole and Justin for all of your help getting me checked out of my room and my luggage to the hospital. I couldn't have asked for anything more. I felt like they truly cared and not something they "had" to do. Regardless of the fact this was an extreme situation, it's just another example of the great experience I have every time I've stayed there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. I am so glad to hear that Nicole and Justin were able to assist during your stay while you were with us. I am also glad to hear that you are on the mend, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Lucy858
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I selected this hotel because I am familiar with the area and know the bar downstairs is great, and it is walking distance to most nightlife in Austin. However, I felt like I was in a cheaper ALOFT hotel. It wouldn't be a bad thing, if I wasn't paying W prices. The space saving layout was reminiscent of a cruise ship... not a comfortable amount of space for a landlocked bathroom in Texas. That being said, I would recommend saving your money and staying at a 3-4 star hotel and using your savings on 6th street... or even the bar downstairs!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Hello and thank you for your review of the W Austin. My sincerest apologies that your room size wasn't to your satisfaction, we appreciate the feedback. Should you choose to stay with us again, please do let us know and we'd be happy to understand your stay needs and see if another room type is more to your satisfaction. I can be reached at 512-542-3633 or GMWAustin@whotels.com. Thank you again for your feedback.